Kyle's Kurb Hopper - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kyle's Kurb Hopper

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #391
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Good stuff Kyle. What does the rubi 44 need? Other than gears.
Well it needs gears and a master bearing/install kit. I'm planning on running the stock shafts for a good while. I need to figure out how I'm going to operate the air locker. I'd like to find a factory rubicon locker pump to keep things simple. I need to come up with a fitting for the housing/air line...Oh yeah, I need to come up with an air line. I'm not sure what to use for that. Lastly I need to decide whether I'm doing a leaf spring swap, running the YJ leaf perches that are on it, and stretching during the axle swap...or if I'm buying TJ brackets for it and stretching in the future.

kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #392
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Well it needs gears and a master bearing/install kit. I'm planning on running the stock shafts for a good while. I need to figure out how I'm going to operate the air locker. I'd like to find a factory rubicon locker pump to keep things simple. I need to come up with a fitting for the housing/air line...Oh yeah, I need to come up with an air line. I'm not sure what to use for that. Lastly I need to decide whether I'm doing a leaf spring swap, running the YJ leaf perches that are on it, and stretching during the axle swap...or if I'm buying TJ brackets for it and stretching in the future.
If you go TJ brackets, I got some I'll cut you a deal on . From MAD 4WD. BTW, the ORO light will be TRICK!
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #393
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
If you go TJ brackets, I got some I'll cut you a deal on . From MAD 4WD. BTW, the ORO light will be TRICK!
We'll see! I'll definitely consider that as a plan B. The way I figure, some used XJ springs, an add a leaf kit, and leaf spring brackets will cost about the same or just a little more than a TJ bracket kit. It's just a matter of finding a good set of used springs. I've considered the OME leafs, but after buying bushings that would be a few hundred bucks alone.

At the place I bought the CJ tailgate, the guy had an XJ sitting there. He said he wanted 20 bucks for the leafs so I said holy *****, lets pull em! They looked a bit rusty but usable. We began to pull them. Part way through the one we were pulling broke in half. Long story short, I didn't end up with a set of XJ leafs. Tomorrow morning I'll be calling around to some local junkyards.

Anyhoo, more updates!
Today I got home from work and was going to put a second coat of paint on the tailgate. However, I decided I didn't like my some of the bondo work...there were some unacceptable imperfections. So I sanded all of the paint off and redid it completely. Primer is drying, paint will go on again tomorrow. Also got a second tailgate cable today, and welded up some nut plates (not sure what else to call them). Here are some pictures:

To those who are following my build thread. I know the progress is slow. But I do appreciate each and every comment. The questions and comments really encourage me to keep working on it! So thanks to those who follow it!...and even to those that just browse it.
Unread 08-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #394
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good man. As for the leafs, if you would go new, try JC Whitney. They have fairly cheap new springs. Used ones from an XJ will probably be hard to find not sagged out.
Unread 08-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #395
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks good man. As for the leafs, if you would go new, try JC Whitney. They have fairly cheap new springs. Used ones from an XJ will probably be hard to find not sagged out.
Well, I drove out to a junk yard today and pulled a set of XJ leaf springs from a '96. They didn't look like they were sagging, the vehicle had low miles, and was in good shape. The springs are a bit rusty but for the most part just have surface rust. However, in one of the leaf packs, the bottom leaf (shortest one) has a small crack in it. Not sure what I should do about this. Any input anyone?
This was my first trip to a junk yard of any kind. It was kind of fun. I'm thinking I'll have to get an "add a leaf" kit to get the necessary height. Between the gas tank and the XJ spring purchase, I'm balls deep at this point. I think I need Red_Smoke to chime in again for a little encouragement!
I also got the tailgate bolted on. I'll be shooting one more coat of paint along with clear coat, and dialing in the cables and the latches. I'll then be loading the Jeep for my voyage to CO Wednesday. Tomorrow will be yet another very busy day.
Unread 08-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #396
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you can pick up leaf packs cheap, I would pick up a few sets and put together two decent packs. I think im just starting to realize how cheap it is to stretch on leafs lol.
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #397
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tailgate pretty much done:

And I'm packed to drive to CO in the morning (with a dana 44 hanging out the back). It's a rolling project:

I still have to clear coat the whole rear. I will do this out west. I did however get it looking pretty damn good and mechanically functioning. The rear of the Jeep is sitting real low. I guess about 400 pounds of parts and other stuff will do that.

Quote:
If you can pick up leaf packs cheap, I would pick up a few sets and put together two decent packs. I think im just starting to realize how cheap it is to stretch on leafs lol.
Pretty cheap. With a set of leafs coming in at around 50 bucks from a yard it's not a bad deal. It's just a matter of finding decent ones. I think the ones I picked up will work well. A stretch via leafs is definitely a cost effective solution.
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:55 AM   #398
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How did you anchor the lower hinges to the tub? I don't remember seeing that.

It looks incredible by the way. Great work!!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-tj-evolution-lady-1183495/"]My Totally Rad Build Thread[/URL]
SarahRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #399
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great! I think after watching this and another person do it, it's made its way to my list of projects...

Might have to meet up when you're back in Colorado some time!
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #400
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose View Post
How did you anchor the lower hinges to the tub? I don't remember seeing that.
It looks incredible by the way. Great work!!!!
Scroll up a little bit! I made some nut plates by welding some nuts to some scrap steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUK9 View Post
Looks great! I think after watching this and another person do it, it's made its way to my list of projects...
Might have to meet up when you're back in Colorado some time!
I like the way it looks. Plus it's somewhat rare to see a Wrangler with a CJ tailgate. I will soon dress it up with a silver "jeep" decal, and eventually a different bumper. Mine is fine, it's just rusted out, and I don't particularly care for the look of it. Anyway, I made it back to Steamboat this morning. It'd be fun to meet up sometime! What I'd really like to do is put together a wheeling trip with a few guys from CO. A weekend trip to Moab or something would be ideal, but even if it was just a day trip, it would be awesome to wheel with some guys off of the forum. Any progress on your Jeep?
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #401
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

That CJ gate is awesome!
jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #402
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make a lot of progress lately. I have some parts ready to go on (new body mount bushings, SYE, etc), and some interior work I can get done, but not a lot after that until I get the suspension. I might have a line to trade my 35's for 37's though, so keeping my fingers crossed on that.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #403
poobub
2004 TJ Wrangler 

tailgate looks awesome man.. and by the looks of the pic its already being put to use haha
Unread 08-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #404
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

Pics from Hahns Peak today

Colorado Jeep Club Member #265
SirWinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #405
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep0312 View Post
That CJ gate is awesome!
Thanks alot man! I'm pretty proud of it. One of these days I have to shoot it with clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUK9 View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make a lot of progress lately. I have some parts ready to go on (new body mount bushings, SYE, etc), and some interior work I can get done, but not a lot after that until I get the suspension. I might have a line to trade my 35's for 37's though, so keeping my fingers crossed on that.
37s....

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobub View Post
tailgate looks awesome man.. and by the looks of the pic its already being put to use haha
It's getting plenty of use...I'm real happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWinston View Post
Pics from Hahns Peak today
Thanks for posting the pictures Gavin!

In today's news...Dana 44 4.88 ring/pinion should be here tomorrow....and today I ordered a silver CJ tailgate decal and a Rubicon locker pump.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.