Kyle's Kurb Hopper - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kyle's Kurb Hopper

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 08-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #376
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How did the bolts + welding + grinder + bondo process work out for you? It looks awesome, AND even do-able. I might borrow this entire process from you when I do mine. I can't wait to see where you go with this! Are you going to drop the gas tank? I don't want to.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-tj-evolution-lady-1183495/"]My Totally Rad Build Thread[/URL]
SarahRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #377
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose View Post
How did the bolts + welding + grinder + bondo process work out for you? It looks awesome, AND even do-able. I might borrow this entire process from you when I do mine. I can't wait to see where you go with this! Are you going to drop the gas tank? I don't want to.
It went great. It was easy as pie. I'm just kindof winging the whole process. I don't have any build to follow but it's more fun this way. I will be swapping gas tanks this week so I will be dropping my tank. But that wont have anything to do with the tailgate swap.
For the lower hinge bolts here's the plan: My Jeep has 1" round holes on the bottom side of the tub on each side. They happen to be just about right under where the CJ hinges will sit. So I'm going to cut out two 3"x3/4" strips of steel, drill holes in them that match the pattern of the holes in tailgate hinges, and weld nuts over the holes in the strips. Then I'll finger the strips up into the tub and make a nutstrap/tub/hinge bolt sandwich...If all goes to plan it should work awesome and keep from bending the lower part of the tub.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #378
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I like where this is going.... I may have to do this to my TJ.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #379
YJSos
1989 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=kyle_craig;9628079]

Those IROCS looked sweet on that S10

Guess what I had the day i brought my Jeep home.....

"My Jeep Is Like A Bum, Always Begging For Change"

1989 YJ Patiently awaiting its new frame....
2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD trying to keep it stock but its not working
YJSos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #380
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
I like where this is going.... I may have to do this to my TJ.
I think it's a neat swap. I'm learning the fundamentals of bondo work as I do it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Those IROCS looked sweet on that S10
Guess what I had the day i brought my Jeep home.....
Good lookin' truck my friend

As for progress, last night I got my tailgate and rear end primed. The gate will need to be sanded a bit more, and I'm out of primer. But more progress nonetheless.

Mocked up....
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #381
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No tailgate progress today. I decided to relax after work. I did however receive my new Genright Ext tank, and I ordered an ORO 3rd brake light I'm going to tuck between the tub and the rear bumper to stay legal. That should be here tomorrow.
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #382
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Your hinges are still upside down.

Great progress by the way!!! I can't wait to see it mounted!!! You're getting it done faster than I am.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-tj-evolution-lady-1183495/"]My Totally Rad Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 08-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #383
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your hinges are still upside down.

Great progress by the way!!! I can't wait to see it mounted!!! You're getting it done faster than I am.
I know...I'm trying to decide whether to just run em like that or not. Those bolts AREN'T coming out. I went to ace and bought a brand new Torx bit to try and get them free. I broke the bit just trying to get one free. So it's either drill the bolts out and figure out a way to mount the hinges, or just run it. Having them upside down wouldn't be the end of the world to me, but it would be nice to have it all "perfect". Not much progress today. I worked all day. I did pick up more primer, paint, and some tapered Allen bolts that will sit flush and aesthetically match the others. Looking forward to seeing yours mounted as well! Are you planning on doing anything with the "Jeep" part?
Unread 08-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #384
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yikes, they're probably stuck good, seeing as CJ tailgates are OLD. But I'm just saying that because some people have put the hinges on upside down, and the tailgate won't sit flat. Just a warning. If it works though, go ahead! I can't wait to see you finish this project. And I don't know, I ran the idea past everybody on my build thread and they seemed to think I shouldn't. Or I should do it with vinyl so if I don't like it, I can take it off. Are you doing anything with yours?

Unread 08-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #385
kyleboender
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good, Keep it up!

I did some similar body work on my LJ.
kyleboender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #386
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yikes, they're probably stuck good, seeing as CJ tailgates are OLD. But I'm just saying that because some people have put the hinges on upside down, and the tailgate won't sit flat....I should do it with vinyl so if I don't like it, I can take it off. Are you doing anything with yours?
Trouble sitting flat when up or down? I'm just going to paint it all black...In the future I might get a silver "Jeep" decal. I think that could look clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleboender View Post
Looks good, Keep it up!
I did some similar body work on my LJ.
Thanks! It's going well so far.
Unread 08-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #387
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When it's down. It wouldn't go down all the way flat, is what several people said.

I read it HERE so you can read it and decide for yourself if you think it's that big of a deal. Black with silver would look sharp. I'm not sure how Intense Blue and black would look though.

Unread 08-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #388
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When it's down. It wouldn't go down all the way flat, is what several people said.

I read it HERE so you can read it and decide for yourself if you think it's that big of a deal. Black with silver would look sharp. I'm not sure how Intense Blue and black would look though.
I hear you! As far as it hanging down wrong, I'm not real concerned. With the cables anchored at the right point, it should be able to be set up nice and level.
Unread 08-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #389
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Update! With pictures!
I got my new fuel tank in, ordered 4.88 Rubicon gears for my axle which I'm having delivered to my address in CO, and got my 3rd brake light in the mail...I also painted the fuel cell portion black...raw aluminum is cool, but I prefer the subtlety and cleanliness of black.
New vs. old tank comparison:

The tank is extra burly, check out the inside!

Main reason that it's cool...look at all of that room to grow! Yes those are some scratches in the tank skid, I'm impressed with the overall stout construction of the Genright tank:

New ORO third brake light, I'm going to mod out the bracket, paint the aluminum black, and mount it between the tub and rear bumper. It will be tucked in so it wont be noticed until it lights up. Should be neat.:

I also painted the rear of the Jeep as well as the tailgate. The tailgate will need more sanding and a second coat of black tomorrow, then both will receive gloss clear coat. Come Wednesday morning I'll be heading back out to Colorado. I'll be loading the Jeep up and driving out with my Dana 44, my spare tire, some axle parts, my tools, and all my other stuff. Fitting everything in the back of the Jeep should be interesting to say the least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUK9 View Post
Nice score! Take a look at my build & note the issues I ran into with the install. The upper shock mounts needed to be trimmed on mine to fit the tank in. Not sure if yours will need it, but just a heads up.
By the way...I didn't run into any issues at all. Luckily, It was a very straight forward install which I'm happy to mention.
Unread 08-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #390
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good stuff Kyle. What does the rubi 44 need? Other than gears.

Tags
locked , stock appearance , stretched , tj on leaf springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.