Kolten's 1997 ZJ - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kolten's 1997 ZJ

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #76
BoostinBubba
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnwelding View Post
Hahaha yup you deffinitly still got a couple of things. I was unaware how much you wanted to build up this zj. You could knock out two in one and get some rims with backspacing so you dont have to put in wheel spacers. Im not sure if backspacing still gives you axle rap though like wheel spacers can. Maybe someone a little more knowledgeable will help with that one
Wheel spacers are not going to cause axle wrap.

BoostinBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #77
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinBubba View Post
Wheel spacers are not going to cause axle wrap.
Why not? Im not saying your wrong im just wondering because i hear it all the time on mudding videos that if you put in wheel spacers and actually go mudding then your just waiting for axle wrap. Not saying its bad for a street rig but my understanding was its best to stay away from them if you wheel hard
WJC #292
Lincolnwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #78
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

the only time ive ever heard of axle wrap from a "spacer" is lift blocks and leaf springs. literally never heard of axle wrap being an issue with linked suspension
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #79
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hm well alright then you learn something new everyday
WJC #292
Lincolnwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #80
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
There is nothing wrong with properly installed wheel spacers.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #81
zacko-zj
1998 ZJ 

If you have axle wrap with a 4 link suspension something is worn out. Wheel spacers can't cause axle wrap. Axle wrap is caused by a leaf spring flexing into an s shape and letting the axle twist, or wrap.

This can cause a lot of unhappy consequences if it goes far enough like broken u-joints, drivelines coming apart at the slip joint but usually just feels really bad and lets the wheels hop. I doubt you'd ever see axle wrap on a mud machine but you could on a rock climber since you need traction for axle wrap to occur.

If you are familiar with ladder bars or traction bars, they are for controlling axle wrap. A ZJ has these features in the 4 link. An XJ might experience axle wrap since it has leaf springs.

Last edited by zacko-zj; 11-12-2013 at 08:59 AM..
zacko-zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #82
KoltenZJ

1997 ZJ 

Hope people are still looking at this, I've been very busy lately with school and enlisting in the Marine Corps. I'll post some pics later today of how the Jeep is looking right now, sadly I won't be doing much more to it for about another year because of school finishing up, then going to boot camp for the USMC 10 days after graduation.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/k...97-zj-1560500/
KoltenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.