kind of xj build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > kind of xj build

ROCKRIDGE 4WD Newsletter about to hit your Inbox! Just in FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 06-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
lowmpgcj5
1981 CJ5 

kind of xj build

Well this is now my third Jeep I own right now. I've been looking for something to replace my Grand Wagoneer for camping and just having some fun with better gas mileage and this showed up in my works whole sale. Well I couldn't pass it up, 99 Cherokee Classic with 170k miles. Everyone at my work kept asking why I would buy an old jeep with that many miles on it, so I had to tell them about my dads 2k Classic with 250k and still running strong without any problems.
This is the day I got it saggy springs and all

free image hosting

So of course I had a rc lift ordered that night and just 4 days later I got to put it on. Here it is with the back lift on. I was pretty worried about it still having a rake after the lift but it leveled better than I could have hoped for.

image hosting site no sign up

Here I got the front lift on... What a pain to get the control arms back in.

free picture hosting

I dont have any profile pictures after the lift with the factory tires. So after the lift was on I ordered up an install plate from Crutchfield to put a cd player in that I found in a trade in car. Nothing beats free?

print screen

Then I remembered I had found a big 1k wat power inverter in another trade in so I did some research and decided to put it in the cherokee. Went to lowes and found an outlet I liked for now and went to work on it. Its not finished yet just have to mount the inverter and run the power to the battery.

image hosting facebook

screenshot program

windows print screen

So then I finally found a good deal on some used tires and could't believe that they looks almost new for what I got them for. There Falken 32 11.50 15 that came on bronco rims so the tires went on the jeep wheels. I've only had to trim off about 3 inches of the pass front fender flair to be able to turn.

image hosting without account

print screen

Then I dusted the cob webs off my yakima rack from my G Wagon and just got it on tonight. I don't have any pictures of changing the fuel pump and changing the rear end fluid but still have some rear end whine. Not to bad for only having it for 3 weeks. Let me know what yall think?

windows screenshot

Last edited by lowmpgcj5; 06-07-2013 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: miss spelled
lowmpgcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice start now go wheel!

Sent from my xj
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
MrSundays
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thats a good looking XJ. It will look great and semi factory with the bushwacker flat flares. Anddddd X2 on the go wheeling!

2013 JKR, MOPAR Stage III 3", 35" Duratracs
MrSundays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
scott02ws6
2005 WK 

I love the idea of the outlets with the inverter, I will be doing this with my wk! Thanks for the idea!
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
lowmpgcj5
1981 CJ5 

Thanks guys, I will be wheeling soon. I just picked up some WJ lower control arms from the local JY for 15$. I was dreading taking them off laying in the rocks but as lucks has it found a WJ with the front axel already gone and the control arms only bolted to the frame. Also found a front drive shaft but wasnt able to get it out on this outing, May be able to go back and get it tomorrow.
Unread 06-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmpgcj5
Thanks guys, I will be wheeling soon. I just picked up some WJ lower control arms from the local JY for 15$. I was dreading taking them off laying in the rocks but as lucks has it found a WJ with the front axel already gone and the control arms only bolted to the frame. Also found a front drive shaft but wasnt able to get it out on this outing, May be able to go back and get it tomorrow.
Good! Throw them *****es on and wheel that **** soon! We all like a slap covering! And or some rocks

Sent from my xj
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
lowmpgcj5
1981 CJ5 

Gosh can't believe its almost been a year to get it to the off road park. A few months ago I got some RC discos for the front sway bar and those things suck... anyone wana buy them?? Anyway on to the pictures I was very surprised how well the cherokee did with only a 3 inch lift and way to big 32 inch tires for the rig and no fender trimming. It went through everything I threw at it with ease and a lot of plastic rubbing sounds.

jeep-4.jpg  
jeep-1.jpg

Unread 11-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
lowmpgcj5
1981 CJ5 

finally got around to go wheeling again. Who says a 3 inch lift and 32s wont flex out?

Unread 11-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
lowmpgcj5
1981 CJ5 

Unread 03-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
lowmpgcj5
1981 CJ5 

Well it's been a while since I've updated this some so lets back track some. My sagging rear springs with a add a leaf was getting worse, on my last camping trip fully loaded down I would rub when I hit bumps so after the trip I ordered a rear shackle relocation and it fixed that problem until I drove home.

I could instantly feel the drive shaft vibrations and it was bad so I remembered I had a transfer case drop kit from my CJ I never used and could you believe even the hardware was the right pitch. So I put that in and it cured most if not all of my vibrations.

So then after a couple of weeks I got tired of the back end being just a little bit higher up so I had some RE 4.5 coils in the garage and got the itch to go higher up. This is the RC 3 vs RE 4.5 coils

But then I found out that the ride was really starting to suck from the front control arms hitting the axle every time I hit a bump so I couldn't bring myself to go long arm just yet so I found a decent deal on some front drop brackets, and the ride after installing these was total night and day drove like a stock cherokee again. Also the front tires are centered in the wheel wells again here is before and after

then here is just a couple more wheeling pictures. I really need to get some rock sliders after a few close calls at the last trip. Just don't know how well they will go on since I have drop brackets on now.

I'm also looking at moving up to 33 inch M/Ts and regearing up to 4.56. There is a deal right now on the arb locker for the d30 I'm debating on jumping on in anticipation of regearing soon.
Unread 03-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Very clean Jeep I must say.

4.56 gearing would give a very nice crawl ratio given that most people would run the stock 3.55 with 33s.

Personally i'm not sure an ARB air locker is worth while for a dana 30.
Unread 03-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #12
lowmpgcj5
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGJB View Post
Very clean Jeep I must say.

4.56 gearing would give a very nice crawl ratio given that most people would run the stock 3.55 with 33s.

Personally i'm not sure an ARB air locker is worth while for a dana 30.

I really appreciate it buddy. I wouldn't be worried about regearing but I take quite a few camping trips and my jeep with just 32s loaded down is so sluggish in the mts, and the down shifting up shifting drives me nuts . Yea the last day or so I've been slowly talking myself out of the ARB and just leaving the front open. Its just a hard decision because of all the work of setting up the front and rear end.
Unread 03-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #13
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmpgcj5
I really appreciate it buddy. I wouldn't be worried about regearing but I take quite a few camping trips and my jeep with just 32s loaded down is so sluggish in the mts, and the down shifting up shifting drives me nuts . Yea the last day or so I've been slowly talking myself out of the ARB and just leaving the front open. Its just a hard decision because of all the work of setting up the front and rear end.
Aussie.
Unread 03-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #14
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmpgcj5 View Post
Im all for re-gearing for the bigger tires, you start losing a lot of power once you get bigger than a 31 inch tire and what not. Then if you're loading up for camping a lot, you'll be very happy with the lower gears.

I'd do some kind of lunch box style locker for the front in a d30. You won't be spending a but load of money on an air locker, and it'll still be plenty strong enough with 33s.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.