KGB 89 YJ Storyline Build Thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > KGB 89 YJ Storyline Build Thread

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Reply
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #121
Sparrows
It's coming...
 
Sparrows's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 4,526
Not to stir the pot too much but the d30 and stock steering handle 35s just fine I don't feel much a difference in power loss running my 35s with an auto and 4.10s. Its not ideal but it works for me now and my jeep is my DD. Problem is that you just always want bigger haha! Everyone I wheel with is on 33s and have been, but literally in the last week three out the five guys have listed their 33s on craigslist wanting to bump to 35s and I guarantee that after I get a v8 under the hood next year I will end up on 37s haha. I would rather get my lift from larger tires than suspension and body lift. The tires add clearance everywhere including under the axles....

That said you'll be perfectly fine and happy with 33s. And just run them on your d35 until you get the 8.8 in. You'll most likely be.just fine. Just be easy on it and try to avoid aggressive turning/cornering and don't get it rock humping/hopping (although have you seen that video of me hopping the crap out of mine? Haha!) and you shod be ok.

Cheers

__________________
WARBIRD 2
EXILED OFFROAD
June '13 YJOTM
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #122
zte87
2.5 POWER!
 
zte87's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mount Vernon, wa
Posts: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows
Not to stir the pot too much but the d30 and stock steering handle 35s just fine I don't feel much a difference in power loss running my 35s with an auto and 4.10s. Its not ideal but it works for me now and my jeep is my DD. Problem is that you just always want bigger haha! Everyone I wheel with is on 33s and have been, but literally in the last week three out the five guys have listed their 33s on craigslist wanting to bump to 35s and I guarantee that after I get a v8 under the hood next year I will end up on 37s haha. I would rather get my lift from larger tires than suspension and body lift. The tires add clearance everywhere including under the axles....

That said you'll be perfectly fine and happy with 33s. And just run them on your d35 until you get the 8.8 in. You'll most likely be.just fine. Just be easy on it and try to avoid aggressive turning/cornering and don't get it rock humping/hopping (although have you seen that video of me hopping the crap out of mine? Haha!) and you shod be ok.

Cheers
This ^ I would buy the tires you want in the long run so you don't look like a tire whore like me, with that said 33s are a nice capable size!
__________________
93 jeep yj bds 5 inch springs 5/8 boom shackles in the rear, locked front and rear dana 44/60 with front and rear chromoly shafts full cloak armor and 40 inch toyo's
january 2013 yjotm winner!
2013 yjoty winner!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #123
kgb_m3
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 889
Thanks ZTE for taking time to post those pics. Wow I'm actually really digging 33s on the red jeep. Look perfect in scale with the body. Seems like a lot of it has to do with wheel offset or "back spacing". Call me weird, but from the pics posted I like 37s look the best, then 33s then 35s. Having said that, I feel better about my decision with 33s.

Brycen, well said and thanks for the info. I was hoping you would chime in since you're auto and had 33s, 35s now. Funny thing about your buddies, same thing here, we all push one another to go bigger and try new trails, etc.. What makes this whole wheeling thing a blast. I'll run them on d35 for a few weeks, then 8.8 with 4.10s goes in and d30 goes up to 4.10 from 3.55 now. Which leaves me with one last concern, will I cook the auto trans on 3.55s and 33s meanwhile?

Cheers!
__________________
89 YJ 4.2L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/kgb-89-yj-storyline-build-thread-1520814/
96 XJ 4.0L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/600-96-xj-budget-daily-overland-build-1855418/
http://www.jeepsunclassified.com
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #124
AmmitOsiris
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brentwood, California
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3

no worries, I'm sure I'll be happy with 33s. I enjoy wheeling on 31s, still an upgrade. I don't want to make excuses or sound like i'm justifiying 33s over 35s. After giving it some serious thought while considering above mentioned concern, I decided on 33s. Doesn't mean in the future I wouldn't be open to 35s or even bigger. Never ending project, these jeeps.

Anyone got any nice pics of YJs with 33s and flat fenders? Google brings up the same old stuff.





No flat fenders but 33's
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #125
kgb_m3
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 889
Great, thanks again for posting more pics. Those 33s look pretty big in the last pic. Glad I went with 33s now that I'm looking at these pics.
__________________
89 YJ 4.2L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/kgb-89-yj-storyline-build-thread-1520814/
96 XJ 4.0L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/600-96-xj-budget-daily-overland-build-1855418/
http://www.jeepsunclassified.com
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #126
AmmitOsiris
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brentwood, California
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3
Great, thanks again for posting more pics. Those 33s look pretty big in the last pic. Glad I went with 33s now that I'm looking at these pics.
Yeah they're nice, these tires have great road manners also
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #127
kgb_m3
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 889
I'm curious now, do some 33s run bigger than others? I mean 1-2" bigger? Having lunch with my coworker, I measured his Mud Claw 33s, only measured to about 31" if that. The weight of his Ranger FX4 could have flattened the tire a bit to throw measurement off.. Also I would like to know if KM2s will measure to ~33" installed.
__________________
89 YJ 4.2L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/kgb-89-yj-storyline-build-thread-1520814/
96 XJ 4.0L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/600-96-xj-budget-daily-overland-build-1855418/
http://www.jeepsunclassified.com
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:28 AM   #128
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!
 
ashland82391's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 6,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3 View Post
I'm curious now, do some 33s run bigger than others? I mean 1-2" bigger? Having lunch with my coworker, I measured his Mud Claw 33s, only measured to about 31" if that. The weight of his Ranger FX4 could have flattened the tire a bit to throw measurement off.. Also I would like to know if KM2s will measure to ~33" installed.
Most 33s measure slightly larger than 31" but some like toyos run closer to 33"
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #129
zte87
2.5 POWER!
 
zte87's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mount Vernon, wa
Posts: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391

Most 33s measure slightly larger than 31" but some like toyos run closer to 33"
Yeah my toyo 33-13.50-15 measured 33.1 inches tall and dwarfed my old mtrs!
__________________
93 jeep yj bds 5 inch springs 5/8 boom shackles in the rear, locked front and rear dana 44/60 with front and rear chromoly shafts full cloak armor and 40 inch toyo's
january 2013 yjotm winner!
2013 yjoty winner!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #130
AmmitOsiris
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brentwood, California
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87

Yeah my toyo 33-13.50-15 measured 33.1 inches tall and dwarfed my old mtrs!
My mtrs run 32.8
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #131
kgb_m3
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
My mtrs run 32.8
BFG KM2 say 32.8 on tirerack, will they actually measure out to 32.8? or more like 31 as mentioned above?
__________________
89 YJ 4.2L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/kgb-89-yj-storyline-build-thread-1520814/
96 XJ 4.0L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/600-96-xj-budget-daily-overland-build-1855418/
http://www.jeepsunclassified.com
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #132
AmmitOsiris
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brentwood, California
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3

BFG KM2 say 32.8 on tirerack, will they actually measure out to 32.8? or more like 31 as mentioned above?
I dunno, I don't know anyone with km2's
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #133
kgb_m3
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
I dunno, I don't know anyone with km2's
I see. I didn't do enough research on tire brands and went with BFG for the name. I had the old dry rotted ATs and they did great, but that's where my experience with BFG ends. The opportunity came up to swap seats for tires, had to take it quick or come up with even more money for new set.

Also just got a call from the shop, KM2s are in. Will have to test them out asap




On a side note, been reading through a thread where a jeep owner recommended kevlar goodyears over the KM2s for socal sharp rocks. Made me wonder as all we do is go over rocks, small or big, still rocks. Then again my current Hercules MTs have been pretty good so theoretically speaking KM2s should do even better at $80/tire difference.
__________________
89 YJ 4.2L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/kgb-89-yj-storyline-build-thread-1520814/
96 XJ 4.0L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/600-96-xj-budget-daily-overland-build-1855418/
http://www.jeepsunclassified.com
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #134
AmmitOsiris
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brentwood, California
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3

I see. I didn't do enough research on tire brands and went with BFG for the name. I had the old dry rotted ATs and they did great, but that's where my experience with BFG ends. The opportunity came up to swap seats for tires, had to take it quick or come up with even more money for new set.

Also just got a call from the shop, KM2s are in. Will have to test them out asap

On a side note, been reading through a thread where a jeep owner recommended kevlar goodyears over the KM2s for socal sharp rocks. Made me wonder as all we do is go over rocks, small or big, still rocks. Then again my current Hercules MTs have been pretty good so theoretically speaking KM2s should do even better at $80/tire difference.
Makes sense, I take that back about the km2s I know a good amount of peeps with them, but none have the 33's,

I read that thread also, I decided to go the MTR route instead, get back too me bout the tires
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #135
kgb_m3
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Makes sense, I take that back about the km2s I know a good amount of peeps with them, but none have the 33's,

I read that thread also, I decided to go the MTR route instead, get back too me bout the tires
I'll be sure to post my review on the KM2s. You got any more pics of your rig in action? I wouldn't mind checking them out.

Thinking about picking up Hayden 404 auto trans cooler to get by with 3.55s for now. I still need to buy a few things for the 8.8 and finances aren't letting me do so at this point.

Another hold up comes from my dana 30 up front sitting with 3.55s that need to get regeared. Local diff shop wants $800 for a regear. Same junk yard I bought my 8.8 from for $200 is asking $450 for a dana 30 with 4.10s and I know people buy them ~$200.

Anyone got one for sale from a 4 banger? I don't think I want to chance regearing myself as I have zero experience with diffs. Transfer case rebuild is as far as I've gone.
__________________
89 YJ 4.2L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/kgb-89-yj-storyline-build-thread-1520814/
96 XJ 4.0L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/600-96-xj-budget-daily-overland-build-1855418/
http://www.jeepsunclassified.com
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.