KeithKeith's 2003 Silver TJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > KeithKeith's 2003 Silver TJ Build

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 02-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

KeithKeith's 2003 Silver TJ Build

I'm a little late to starting my build thread... given that I've had my TJ since 2003, but what the heck - figured I would throw up some pics and list out what I've done to it so far. I'll plan on adding to this as I continue to build it out. Drop me questions about anything I've done... happy to answer what I can. Turns out I don't have as many pics as I wish I did of the actual "build" part, but there's a selection of some throughout, and wheeling ones at the bottom... I'll start being more descriptive with stuff I do from here on in.

For reference, here's almost what I started with back in May of 2003 - Silver TJ "Sport", pretty much zero miles on the odomoter... minus the BFG mud terrains...

Didn't really have any plans to do anything with it... lucky for me, it had a D44 rear... And here is where it is now - 5.5" Clayton long arm with a 1" body lift, 35's, and lots of goodies... check out below for more.

So.... stages of the build... First off, had to have an awesome stereo. The stock setup just wasn't going to cut it. Went to Tweeter up in Boston and got myself a nice setup. Read: obnoxious. Yup, I was that guy.

Got myself a roofrack so that I could "comfortably" fit four in there... a bad idea, in hindsight, since it made driving through tight trails a little tough!

And then... My first lift! A 3" BDS short arm on 33's... Also picked up a Warn bumper, Jeeperman lightbar, PIAAs, a Superwinch EPi 9.0, BDS rockers

Decided a box was needed for all my tools, recovery / safety gear, etc, so built this one afternoon...

Jumping ahead.... here's where it stands now in no special order... I know I'm forgetting a few things...

5.5” Clayton long arm
MetalCloak Bumper w/ Crawler Caps, Mid Stinger & Upper Shackles
MetalCloak Arched Tubes in the Front w/ 4" flare
MetalCloak Tubes in the Rear w/ 4" flare
1” body lift
35x12.5x17 Nitto Mudgrapplers
17” Silver AEV Pintlers with Beadlocks - my second set of AEVs, since I crack two of the non-beadlock versions
Superwinch EPi9.0
12VoltGuy in-cab winch control
Teraflex SS SYE
Tom Woods driveshaft
4.56’s
OX in the rear
Herculined tub
Clayton Engine & Tranny skids
Kilby Gas Tank Skid
AtoZ Fab rear bumper with swing out tire carrier
AEV Third Brake Light
Chromoly Shafts front and rear
Currie Heavy Duty Steering
Warn Steering Skid
Rubicon Express Hand Throttle
JKS Motor Mounts
Custom box
Tree saver, tow rope, shackles, jumping cables, tie downs etc...
First Aid kit
Fire extinguisher
CO2
K&N FIPK
Raingler netting - keeps the dog in the back
PIAA 520s Driving & Fog
BDS Rockers
Cobra 75 WX ST
Alpine IVA300 w/GPS, Ipod hookup, and DVD bypass
... and painted black headlight bezels

Emphasis has really moved to making this as capable an off-road rig as possible... but it's still nice to have the tunes!

Next post - wheeling pics...

Current Setup: 2003 Silver TJ Sport, 5.5” Clayton LA, MetalCloak Bumper & Tubes, 1” BL, 35” Nitto Mudgrapplers, 17” Silver AEV Pintlers, Superwinch EPi9.0 w/ in-cab control, Teraflex SS SYE & Tom Woods d/s, 4.56’s, OX (r), Herc’d Tub, Clayton Engine & Tranny skids, Chromoly Shafts F&R, Currie HD, Warn Steering Skid, RE Hand Throttle, JKS Motor Mounts, Custom box, CO2, K&N FIPK, Raingler Netting (so the dog doesn’t fly), PIAA 520s Driving & Fog, BDS Rockers, Cobra 75 WX ST, Alpine IVA300 w/GPS & a bunch of other goodies...

Last edited by keithkeith; 02-16-2010 at 04:36 PM..
keithkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The goal was always to build this as strong as possible... I've thrown a good amount of stuff at it so far...

Current Setup: 2003 Silver TJ Sport, 5.5” Clayton LA, MetalCloak Bumper & Tubes, 1” BL, 35” Nitto Mudgrapplers, 17” Silver AEV Pintlers, Superwinch EPi9.0 w/ in-cab control, Teraflex SS SYE & Tom Woods d/s, 4.56’s, OX (r), Herc’d Tub, Clayton Engine & Tranny skids, Chromoly Shafts F&R, Currie HD, Warn Steering Skid, RE Hand Throttle, JKS Motor Mounts, Custom box, CO2, K&N FIPK, Raingler Netting (so the dog doesn’t fly), PIAA 520s Driving & Fog, BDS Rockers, Cobra 75 WX ST, Alpine IVA300 w/GPS & a bunch of other goodies...
Unread 02-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did this write-up a few weeks ago for my MetalCloak goodies... here's a teaser, link to thread is below...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...-tubes-951521/

Next up - put an order in for one of these from Searchers4wd (Searchers 4wd) ... wanted to re-route the cable for my OX, and i thought this was a pretty cool option. Will post up pics / little writeup when I get it installed.

Last edited by keithkeith; 02-17-2010 at 04:44 AM..
Unread 02-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! I wish my silver TJ looked as good. One day! What roof rack do you have?
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Don't have the rack anymore... but it was by a company called Top5. I THINK they went out of business...
Unread 02-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
BrandNew
2004 TJ Wrangler 

nice i love claytons stuff did you install the lift yourself?
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Did the amp get enough air flow while the seat was folded down over it??

Great lookin Jeep!

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNew View Post
nice i love claytons stuff did you install the lift yourself?
Nope - welding's not my thing... yet. Longer term, hopefully. I lived up in MA for a while, and Clayton was a couple of hours away in CT, so I dropped the jeep off with him for a week. Done a lot of the other work myself though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Did the amp get enough air flow while the seat was folded down over it??
Surprisingly it's fine... it does get pretty hot with extended use, but airflow is relatively good - better with the box over it. I keep toying with the idea of running a tube from the passenger side floor vent to the back, but haven't had any issues yet. Top and doors off for some of the spring / fall and all of the summer make it unnecessary.
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I love coming home to packages from brown santa. Got my new OX mounting plate from Searchers today. It seems pretty well machined, and definitely sturdier than my old mount.

I never liked the original location of my shifter - when i was wheeling with the doors on, I would have to open the door to engage / disengage it.

So, I started looking for other options and this seemed like a great solution. The first pic is of the mount upside down in it's future location, and the second is how the shifter will look when installed.

Overall first impressions - looks really clean, and I think install should be fairly straightforward with a little cutting into the tub. My only concern, at the moment, is water getting into the shifter housing, as the housing is exposed at the bottom and on the side. Any suggestions are welcome... I can get some of the way with an RTV type product, but may end up looking for something a little more substantial. Here's a pic from their site that shows what I'm talking about...

Plan is to prime, paint, cut & install this Friday... more pics to come.

Also got a Currie EZ deflator... go tired of fully removing the valvestem each time I hit the trail to get down to 10. Like this, I'll never lose one again!
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

is that big dogs offraod in the pics?

nice jeep man
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit455 View Post
is that big dogs offraod in the pics?
Iron Range OHV Park in Gilbert, MN

Iron Range Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Spent a couple of hours this morning re-routing my ox cable / mounting the shifter in a new location. I think it turned out pretty well!

Getting the right placement...

Drilling / cutting... not pretty, but it worked!

Mounted! Nice and clean!

Underside...

Unread 03-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Now that the shifter is moved, time to put the fire extinguisher where I wanted to have it in the first place. Much easier access... just in case, right?

Unread 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I put these pics up in my MetalCloak build thread, but thought they fit here too... amazing articulation / clearance with this setup.

I think this is about it for mods... for now. I'll keep on adding to this as things get put on / I get out on the trail more
Unread 03-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great! Somehow I missed this thread until now... It's funny to see your Jeep when it was all little and stock.

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25” BL, JKS 1” BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.