Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 87 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 03-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #1291
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Let me know what you decide and I'll be there with tools.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #1292
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
So... maybe this was an omen that I should have opted for the Currie steering. It seems solid. I should be able to make it to work and back. I'll keep checking on it. Perhaps... I'll ask the biggest favor of my mom and grandparents and have them bring down the tracer for me to put around in for the week while I order a new setup. I'll sleep on it and figure it out in the morning. While I ponder the clutch and ebrake issues as well. So this is the heartbreak that comes with owning a jeep.
No Omen, just a slight hang up. I can't tell you how many time's I've been working on something, or just spent a ton of cash on something, only to have something else completely unrelated pop up immediately afterward. It just happens. Just in recent memory.... pulling out of the garage late at night after finishing up my lift install....radiator blows, no warning. Put my new wheels on... test drive, HUGE exhaust leak, a manifold stud broke off in the head requiring me to pull off the head to extract it! So anyways.... I only share that stuff to make you feel better. **** happens.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #1293
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Some more shots of Alice under the knife.

Our solution to hold the hub while breaking the axle nut.

Comparing stock with the ZJ and Currie tie rods.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #1294
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
No Omen, just a slight hang up. I can't tell you how many time's I've been working on something, or just spent a ton of cash on something, only to have something else completely unrelated pop up immediately afterward. It just happens. Just in recent memory.... pulling out of the garage late at night after finishing up my lift install....radiator blows, no warning. Put my new wheels on... test drive, HUGE exhaust leak, a manifold stud broke off in the head requiring me to pull off the head to extract it! So anyways.... I only share that stuff to make you feel better. **** happens.
I know. Seems like every time I spend all of my extra cash on jeep stuff- something breaks. Good news is even with the soft top purchase... I should still have barely enough to get an entirely new clutch assembly. And a tranny jack. Ill be going out to the hardware store today or tomorrow and picking up the basics so I can at least check my rear brakes and hopefully figure out whats going wrong there.

As far as the tie rod- well I haven't figured that one out yet. I am thinking solution is to just buy a new draglink and stick that on there. Then- hopefully... fingers crossed I will be all set.

Unfortunately- this pushes out the bumper powdercoating until at least next week. I don't think I could handle driving that far with that rattling/knocking sound even if it is safe to drive.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #1295
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know. Seems like every time I spend all of my extra cash on jeep stuff- something breaks. Good news is even with the soft top purchase... I should still have barely enough to get an entirely new clutch assembly. And a tranny jack. Ill be going out to the hardware store today or tomorrow and picking up the basics so I can at least check my rear brakes and hopefully figure out whats going wrong there.

As far as the tie rod- well I haven't figured that one out yet. I am thinking solution is to just buy a new draglink and stick that on there. Then- hopefully... fingers crossed I will be all set.

Unfortunately- this pushes out the bumper powdercoating until at least next week. I don't think I could handle driving that far with that rattling/knocking sound even if it is safe to drive.
As for the tie rod, you may want to look into getting a nut splitter as well. Split that nut off so we can get it back out and then just maybe get a new TJ drag link and see if we can stuff it in the hole. That's what she said.
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #1296
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
As for the tie rod, you may want to look into getting a nut splitter as well. Split that nut off so we can get it back out and then just maybe get a new TJ drag link and see if we can stuff it in the hole. That's what she said.
Hah. Now- i have no idea how this would work to get the new tie rod our of the stock draglink with the threads intact. Just no freakin' clue - so I'm relying on you guys in hopes that I don't have to buy a new tie rod.

Unread 03-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #1297
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I spoke with a few friends(one being an ASE master mechanic for 30 plus years now). If you drilled out that drag link when you mounted that new tierod in place backwards your askin for potential problems(serious/dangerous problems)down the road. Time to replace that draglink if your smart. Also might be time to DL a copy of the service manual too.....you get can get it online for FREE if you search hard enough.

Personally this vehicle should be shelved until the steering is taken care of properly along with the brakes if its not already. If not for your own safety, then at least to the consideration of others on the road.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #1298
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
I spoke with a few friends(one being an ASE master mechanic for 30 plus years now). If you drilled out that drag link when you mounted that new tierod in place backwards your askin for potential problems(serious/dangerous problems)down the road. Time to replace that draglink if your smart. Also might be time to DL a copy of the service manual too.....you get can get it online for FREE if you search hard enough.

Personally this vehicle should be shelved until the steering is taken care of properly along with the brakes if its not already. If not for your own safety, then at least to the consideration of others on the road.
I have the service manual. Its not extremely helpful. We found out this weekend that whenever it gets to a difficult repair it says take it to a qualified shop.

Ill drive it home from work today- then get rides in from Em for the rest of the week. Order the clutch, tranny lift, new draglink, maybe a new tierod just to be prepared. Hopefully I can get a gathering of the CT Posse again this weekend if Andy wont hate me for stealing another days work away from his Jeep. Ill make it up! I swear.

Unread 03-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #1299
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have the service manual. Its not extremely helpful. We found out this weekend that whenever it gets to a difficult repair it says take it to a qualified shop.

Ill drive it home from work today- then get rides in from Em for the rest of the week. Order the clutch, tranny lift, new draglink, maybe a new tierod just to be prepared. Hopefully I can get a gathering of the CT Posse again this weekend if Andy wont hate me for stealing another days work away from his Jeep. Ill make it up! I swear.
You have the FACTORY Jeep service manuals? So you have seperate books for Body,Chassis,Powertrain, and the master parts list correct? Or do you just have a Haynes manual or something similiar?

Also curious..........what lengths were the new short arms set too? Ive been going over your thread in a bit more detail now........lots of questions......you guys do use a torque wrench set to the correct values when putting stuff back together I hope right?

This 05' LJ has exactly how many miles on the odometer? You seem to be having alot of small issues with it.........due to heavy miles and wear/tear?, or lack of proper maintenance before purchased?, or even qualified people working on your rig since you got it? Don't take offense to the last question, but its a very valid one. Alot of small red flags on the wrenching side so far.
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #1300
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You have the FACTORY Jeep service manuals? So you have seperate books for Body,Chassis,Powertrain, and the master parts list correct? Or do you just have a Haynes manual or something similiar?
The '03 manual - not including the parts list - is 1,666 pages, for reference.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #1301
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Also curious..........what lengths were the new short arms set too? Ive been going over your thread in a bit more detail now........lots of questions......you guys do use a torque wrench set to the correct values when putting stuff back together I hope right?

This 05' LJ has exactly how many miles on the odometer? You seem to be having alot of small issues with it.........due to heavy miles and wear/tear?, or lack of proper maintenance before purchased?, or even qualified people working on your rig since you got it? Don't take offense to the last question, but its a very valid one. Alot of small red flags on the wrenching side so far.
I have a Haynes manual. Where could I pick up a more comprehensive one? It definitely needs to be done. I would rather a binded copy versus a free online version.

The new control arms were set to the stock length. That bit didn't make a whole lot of sense to me- but that's what the instructions that came with them said. The torque wrench was used for everything but the axle nut - it didnt go high enough so we used a breaker bar and put our weight on it. All of the torque specs were looked up- sometimes even 3 times to be sure.

It has just shy of 100,000- I bought it with 80, so its seen some hard miles since I got it. It seems the previous owner didn't know a heck of a lot about jeeps and everything I have come across so far is stock. I know that I am going to replace the OPDA sometime soon just in preventative maintenance.

No offense taken- my lift was put in by me and my friend at the time. He is very experienced working on trucks... but now I am thinking he had only done shackle lifts before. Either way... I think most of the issues - with the exception of the tie rod are from normal wear and tear on a 7 year old TJ. I fully expected that to happen. I choose to look at the tie rod as a learning experience as well.

Unread 03-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #1302
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just let me know the when and where and I'll be there.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #1303
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
Just let me know the when and where and I'll be there.
Well- I will order the parts today. I will hold off on the ebrake stuff until I am sure that it doesnt just need an adjustment.

Whats your take on getting the new tie rod off?

If my luck holds- wanna take a trip up to the lovely northwestern CT saturday? The drive isn't too bad- I took 95 to 9 to 66 to 691 to 84 to 8. Pretty much straight highway. Ill make some room in the garage- and we will see what we can do.

Unread 03-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #1304
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a Haynes manual. Where could I pick up a more comprehensive one? It definitely needs to be done. I would rather a binded copy versus a free online version.

The new control arms were set to the stock length. That bit didn't make a whole lot of sense to me- but that's what the instructions that came with them said. The torque wrench was used for everything but the axle nut - it didnt go high enough so we used a breaker bar and put our weight on it. All of the torque specs were looked up- sometimes even 3 times to be sure.

It has just shy of 100,000- I bought it with 80, so its seen some hard miles since I got it. It seems the previous owner didn't know a heck of a lot about jeeps and everything I have come across so far is stock. I know that I am going to replace the OPDA sometime soon just in preventative maintenance.

No offense taken- my lift was put in by me and my friend at the time. He is very experienced working on trucks... but now I am thinking he had only done shackle lifts before. Either way... I think most of the issues - with the exception of the tie rod are from normal wear and tear on a 7 year old TJ. I fully expected that to happen. I choose to look at the tie rod as a learning experience as well.
You can PM me with your email address for the Factory 2005 Manuals in PDF form, or you can look on Ebay or call Chrysler up directly for the full set.
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #1305
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well- I will order the parts today. I will hold off on the ebrake stuff until I am sure that it doesnt just need an adjustment.

Whats your take on getting the new tie rod off?

If my luck holds- wanna take a trip up to the lovely northwestern CT saturday? The drive isn't too bad- I took 95 to 9 to 66 to 691 to 84 to 8. Pretty much straight highway. Ill make some room in the garage- and we will see what we can do.
Before you buy a clutch get someone to diagnose the noise. Doing the clutch is going to be an all day job in itself or more and is not one you want to do if you don't have to. We don't wanna get Andy in over his head here!!! In your situation where you need this vehicle for work, it might be worth it to pay a clutch shop to knock it out in a few hours, so you can focus on the steering.

To get the tie rod off, take off the entire assembly, and use a sacrificial nut on the end of the TRE so you can hit it with a BFH and not damage the threads... that would be my approach at least. There may be a more graceful way to do it.

Wish you guys weren't so far away so I could join in on the fun!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2005 , currie , rubicon , sahara , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.