Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Reply
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #751
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami
 
Sundowner's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
Drop tailgate works better for camping and hunting. Plus I just like the look of a CJ tailgate. Wish I didn't have to cover it up with a tire. I've been looking at one of the ground pounder fab bumper/tire carrier.
You could always fabricate a rack and get it overhead, as well.

__________________
If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #752
KateKGB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winsted, Connecticut
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
Drop tailgate works better for camping and hunting. Plus I just like the look of a CJ tailgate. Wish I didn't have to cover it up with a tire. I've been looking at one of the ground pounder fab bumper/tire carrier.
How difficult of a conversion is it? I absolutely crave a drop down tailgate. One of the few things I miss about a truck.
__________________
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kates-05-unlimited-rubi-learning-process-1426763/"] Chicks are allowed build threads here, right? [/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #753
KateKGB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winsted, Connecticut
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post

Awww... alcoholic dad bond!
D'awww, I love alcoholic dad bond!!! Cheers to you too. I gots me some long trail blackberry wheat tonight!
__________________
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kates-05-unlimited-rubi-learning-process-1426763/"] Chicks are allowed build threads here, right? [/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #754
KateKGB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winsted, Connecticut
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

You could always fabricate a rack and get it overhead, as well.
Dont need to fabricate a rack when im around.

Sorry, had to be done.
__________________
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kates-05-unlimited-rubi-learning-process-1426763/"] Chicks are allowed build threads here, right? [/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #755
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami
 
Sundowner's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Dont need to fabricate a rack when im around.
Can I go ahead and get that rack overhead, then? You know a rack doesn't do much good when it's just lying on the ground; it needs to be securely mounted on top. That's the only way to really enjoy what a well-built rack has to offer.


__________________
If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #756
KateKGB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winsted, Connecticut
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

Can I go ahead and get that rack overhead, then? You know a rack doesn't do much good when it's just lying on the ground; it needs to be securely mounted on top. That's the only way to really enjoy what a well-built rack has to offer.

Wouldnt have it any other way.
__________________
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kates-05-unlimited-rubi-learning-process-1426763/"] Chicks are allowed build threads here, right? [/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #757
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,304
I suspect that a large portion of the people who read this thread may need counseling afterwards ...

What happened to the Rokmens ? And the body lift is easy as long as the bolts are seized . You can do it in the driveway with a jack and a nice 4x4 block . The Rokmen video on YouTube is a good start to show you what to expect .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #758
my98tj
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tullahoma, TN
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
And the body lift is easy as long as the bolts are seized . You can do it in the driveway with a jack and a nice 4x4 block . The Rokmen video on YouTube is a good start to show you what to expect .
^^^this. I just finished my body lift (1" daystar) and brown dog motor mount lift. Rokmen video was great for pointers and the motor mount lift is pretty self explanatory. I also did the Novak cable shifter at the same time and cannot stress enough how fantastic that cable is. Transfer case shifting is hot butter smooth.
__________________
Can anyone tell me how the flux capacitor is used to facilitate time travel???
my98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #759
olysteve
Junior Member
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Federal Way, Washington
Posts: 99
[QUOTE=my98tj;15050327]^^^this. I just finished my body lift (1" daystar) and brown dog motor mount lift. Rokmen video was great for pointers and the motor mount lift is pretty self explanatory. I also did the Novak cable shifter at the same time and cannot stress enough how fantastic that cable is. Transfer case shifting is hot butter smooth

I just did this last weekend myself. I went with the JKS 1.25 inch body lift, along with the brown dog 1" mml. I had the novak cable shift on my (now) dead cherokee.
I had a buddy that owed me some shop time help with the install. Total time was about 4 1/2-5 hours.
The bonus was getting to delete the 1" skid plate drop the stealership put in when they put on the budget lift. (I couldn't hit 2nd 4th 6th or reverse until I took out the drop)
I would highly recommend doing them together. Also a plug for brown dog rubber motor mounts.
olysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #760
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
After a vote, the studio audience and myself agree that this thread is worthless without pictures. So, after you receive your box of A to Z goodies we expect plenty of pretty pictures. Also curious to see what you think of the sliders. I have been looking at them myself for the last few years while I was overseas, but I keep coming back to the Rokmen sliders. I must also say that this and other build threads are too suggestive for there own good. The simple overhaul I had planned on my return to the states is quickly snowballing out of control. I fear I might have to start my own build thread just to keep track of it all...
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #761
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Out View Post
After a vote, the studio audience and myself agree that this thread is worthless without pictures. So, after you receive your box of A to Z goodies we expect plenty of pretty pictures. Also curious to see what you think of the sliders. I have been looking at them myself for the last few years while I was overseas, but I keep coming back to the Rokmen sliders. I must also say that this and other build threads are too suggestive for there own good. The simple overhaul I had planned on my return to the states is quickly snowballing out of control. I fear I might have to start my own build thread just to keep track of it all...
This dude's been overseas for years Kate.... the pressure is on!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #762
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Dont need to fabricate a rack when im around.

Sorry, had to be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Can I go ahead and get that rack overhead, then? You know a rack doesn't do much good when it's just lying on the ground; it needs to be securely mounted on top. That's the only way to really enjoy what a well-built rack has to offer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Wouldnt have it any other way.
I firmly approve this exchange..... (you see from your bad influence, i'm learning)
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #763
KateKGB
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winsted, Connecticut
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I suspect that a large portion of the people who read this thread may need counseling afterwards ...

What happened to the Rokmens ? And the body lift is easy as long as the bolts are seized . You can do it in the driveway with a jack and a nice 4x4 block . The Rokmen video on YouTube is a good start to show you what to expect .
If they don't, then I didn't do it right.

After some long thought- I decided at the last minute to not go with the rokmens. I the clearance gained isn't too much- and it won't be that noticeable as far as looks. So, I made the smart choice for once, and got one that covers a bit more of the underbody- for nearly half the price. Allowing me to afford that nice new rear bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my98tj View Post
^^^this. I just finished my body lift (1" daystar) and brown dog motor mount lift. Rokmen video was great for pointers and the motor mount lift is pretty self explanatory. I also did the Novak cable shifter at the same time and cannot stress enough how fantastic that cable is. Transfer case shifting is hot butter smooth.
[quote=olysteve;15050593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by my98tj View Post
^^^this. I just finished my body lift (1" daystar) and brown dog motor mount lift. Rokmen video was great for pointers and the motor mount lift is pretty self explanatory. I also did the Novak cable shifter at the same time and cannot stress enough how fantastic that cable is. Transfer case shifting is hot butter smooth

I just did this last weekend myself. I went with the JKS 1.25 inch body lift, along with the brown dog 1" mml. I had the novak cable shift on my (now) dead cherokee.
I had a buddy that owed me some shop time help with the install. Total time was about 4 1/2-5 hours.
The bonus was getting to delete the 1" skid plate drop the stealership put in when they put on the budget lift. (I couldn't hit 2nd 4th 6th or reverse until I took out the drop)
I would highly recommend doing them together. Also a plug for brown dog rubber motor mounts.
How much of a difference does the Novak make? Personally, I like the way Alice shifts- but I have had problems with it jumping out of first into neutral and R is sometimes hard to shift into. Sure as hell gives anyone not used to it a startle. These aren't problems for me- I usually start in 2nd anyway and I know when it actually engages in R, but those are still improvement points. Are there any other benefits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Out View Post
After a vote, the studio audience and myself agree that this thread is worthless without pictures. So, after you receive your box of A to Z goodies we expect plenty of pretty pictures. Also curious to see what you think of the sliders. I have been looking at them myself for the last few years while I was overseas, but I keep coming back to the Rokmen sliders. I must also say that this and other build threads are too suggestive for there own good. The simple overhaul I had planned on my return to the states is quickly snowballing out of control. I fear I might have to start my own build thread just to keep track of it all...
The Rokmen sliders are wicked sharp. If I had unlimited cash and actual boatsides were out of the option, I would definitely pick them. But A to Z just had an overwhelming positive response and were $200 less.

Start a build thread. You know you won't be able to stop- and its good to keep track. Just watch out for it becoming the only form of social media you use. Not that it's a problem- I tend to like it here.

I will also be sure to get a few snapshots of the install. That actually develop. ( I am still so sad the ones from the bumper install didn't come out- there was some gold in there). KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
This dude's been overseas for years Kate.... the pressure is on!
Challenge accepted. They serve my country, I can serve them.
Wow- my mind is just in the gutter today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I firmly approve this exchange..... (you see from your bad influence, i'm learning)
Hah! I always end up being the bad influence.... But nicely done.
__________________
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kates-05-unlimited-rubi-learning-process-1426763/"] Chicks are allowed build threads here, right? [/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #764
redrelyt12
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Start a build thread. You know you won't be able to stop- and its good to keep track. Just watch out for it becoming the only form of social media you use. Not that it's a problem- I tend to like it here.
I haven't checked facebook unless I've had a notification on my phone since I started mine haha
__________________
I never make the same mistake twice - it's more like three or four times.
Build - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimicon-build-1477723/
redrelyt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #765
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh
 
janesy86's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post

How much of a difference does the Novak make? Personally, I like the way Alice shifts- but I have had problems with it jumping out of first into neutral and R is sometimes hard to shift into. Sure as hell gives anyone not used to it a startle. These aren't problems for me- I usually start in 2nd anyway and I know when it actually engages in R, but those are still improvement points. Are there any other benefits?
Novak shifter isn't for the trans, its for the transfer case. Supposedly is a huuuge improvement. I just ordered one yesterday, since I'll be doing a tummy tuck soon and will want to do it at that time.
__________________
03' Rubi: 2" BDS, 1.25" BL/MML, Hylined rollin' on 35" MTR's

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.