Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #61
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I am not a fan of the JKs. I would never consider owning one - they are big and clunky. I cant imagine they perform nearly as well as older jeeps off road. I did try looking for a hard top to buy from a person, but I didnt see much point into paying $2,000 for a used hardtop when I could pay $2400 for a nifty looking new one.

KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #62
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree with you on that. I don't know why people think there 6 or 7 year old tops should be as much as a new one one. I tried to buy one from a guy around this area and when I offered him 1500 he said I offended him lol. He said the lowest he would go would be 2200. I was like whatever.
Unread 11-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #63
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think its because the LJ hard tops are so hard to find, people figure they can mark them up so much. Still though, you gotta be mad to buy a used broken hardtop for 90% current retail- even if it does save you $400.
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #64
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok, so today is payday. After doing my budget (getting paid monthly is the devil) I have figured out that I have only about $800 to spend this month. So... Ill be going with just a front bumper and winch. Ill have to save the back bumper and rock sliders for another day. I think I picked out the ones I want- smittybuilt XRC bumper and a superwinch 9,500lb tiger shark winch. Any comments/suggestions or reviews?
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #65
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdude View Post
Looks awesome! got to love a khaki Jeep Rubi with a lift! here's my 2004 TJ with a RE 3.5" lift and Bilstein 5100's and BFG KM2 33" tire on stock rubi rims

Looks beautiful- how do you like the Bilsteins? Mine are getting put in today
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #66
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would stay away from ****tybuilt, err I mean Smittybuilt, the finish on their products is not the greatest. Good for a budget, but you may find yourself replacing it eventually. Superwinch is a good choice, haven't heard much on the Tiger Shark myself, I think its newer, but overall great company.

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #67
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
I would stay away from ****tybuilt, err I mean Smittybuilt, the finish on their products is not the greatest. Good for a budget, but you may find yourself replacing it eventually. Superwinch is a good choice, haven't heard much on the Tiger Shark myself, I think its newer, but overall great company.
Yeah, I have heard the powdercoat peels off rather easy on their stuff. But, I really like the looks of it- and it comes with a grill guard, KC Apollo lights and an integrated winch mount plate for the same as a competitors bumper. I can always refinish it down the line.
Unread 11-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #68
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Yeah, I have heard the powdercoat peels off rather easy on their stuff. But, I really like the looks of it- and it comes with a grill guard, KC Apollo lights and an integrated winch mount plate for the same as a competitors bumper. I can always refinish it down the line.
You 100% get what you pay for . I know a guy who won their bumpers and still sent them back .
Unread 11-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #69
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ came with one of there bumpers it was the first thing to go. I bought a Rokmen bumper and never looked back. Its a great, tough bumper.
img_0083.jpg   img_8564.jpg  
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #70
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is there any reason other than just the finish being shoddy? I dont mind paying for the best- but I dont know if I could justify paying double for a bumper that is more or less structurally the same.
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #71
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

you would be hard pressed to compare a smittybuilt bumper to a Rokmen one. no contest. The Rokmen one will take some abuse; it just leaves your fenders exposed to trees. but thats more driver error than the bumpers fault.

not that Rokmen is the only bumper out there that will work, but its a nice piece.
rokmen.jpg   wheelin-hope1.jpg   jeep-w.-bumper.jpg  

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #72
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Smittybuilt seems to be hit or miss . Some of it looks good , some of it is terrible . The bumpers I saw recently had terrible fitment and porus welds , your not going to see that from Rokmen or most of the other domestic vendors .
Unread 11-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #73
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hmm... I did notice the welds on the smittybuilt looking a little iffy. Ill have to put some thought into this.
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #74
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Beasley said it perfect, you get what you pay for. Looking at pictures dont always explain the big picture of why one brand is better then another.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #75
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I like the Olympic rockslider bumpers because they sit higher than factory and if you do decide to climb over things it doesn't drag like most lower sitting ones do. I love the ARB bumpers but, those baby's are expensive but, I hear they are stronger than crap and heavy too.

Tags
2005 , currie , rubicon , sahara , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.