Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Skid plate is definitely on the list- that will be next month along with new bumpers, winch and sliders. In my eyes all the chrome is already gone, just gotta shine them up and throw them up for sale.

KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
kjs
1979 TJ Wrangler 

Check out Clayton for shot or long arms. They make skid plates too. He in Conn. not to far from you.

Last edited by kjs; 10-22-2012 at 03:48 PM..
kjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have any opinions of Ironman 4x4s work? I found a set of 8 heavy duty adjustable control arms with johnny joints for only about $200 bucks more than the ones directly from Currie. I was wondering if it would be worth the extra money for the extra durability.
Unread 10-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

never heard of them

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Crispynuggets
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Like your build!! As far as getting more get up and go without going crazy on engine mods. I would look into gearing. I would look into 4.56 or 4.88 gears, it will affect your mileage and top speed, but when your pulling a hill or accelerating you'll see a major difference. Glad to see women enjoying this hobby.

Purifying our souls in the waters of Lake Minnetonka using JeepForum
Crispynuggets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ill try to do some more research- but my way of thinking is I can get the heavy duty CAs on financing and then get the rest of everything else separately and pay a hell of a lot less upfront than the entire johnny joint suspension system. That being said- does it matter where I buy the springs from, or does quality make a big difference on those as well. Also, the kit came with front and rear trac bars and bump stops - would I definitely need to purchase those as well?

Lastly- is there a way to get some more power on hills without giving up my top speed? I like that very much.
Unread 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Does anyone have any opinions of Ironman 4x4s work? I found a set of 8 heavy duty adjustable control arms with johnny joints for only about $200 bucks more than the ones directly from Currie. I was wondering if it would be worth the extra money for the extra durability.
I don't think those control arms are worth the extra money. Currie control arms are plenty strong. I have never seen anybody break one although I have heard a rumor of one being bent but I didn't see it with my own eyes so I can't say for sure.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #23
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

In addition to being heavy duty, the lower control arms also are tapered to provide better articulation. Worth it?
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #24
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Talk to Jay I think he use some of there steering parts Here is his build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...daily-1046789/

I dont see why you would need anything stronger then Currie control arms. But if you do then take a look at Rokmen control arms.http://www.rokmen.com/rokmen-jeep-tj...m-package.html
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #25
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok guys- I took the plunge. I got the savvy kit with fully adjustable control arms with all johnny joints and the antirock sway bar. Other than the actual jeep I have never spent so much money on something in my life.

The parts should be here by the weekend and I am putting them in next weekend. I am so freakin excited.
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #26
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

did you go with the 3" or 4" springs?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #27
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

It might not be bad to regear your Jeep. If you have the 42RLE like I do with my 32s I went 4.56s and coudn't be happier. If you plan to run 33s or 35s 5.13s or 4.88s min. 6sp you can do 33-35s on 4.88s and no prob. Welcome to the LJ club.
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #28
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I like your Jeep by the way looks good. Once you lift and all it will even look better. Here is mine with the 2.5 short arm not crazy lift but, just enough to run bigger meats and do it without cutting fenders and all.
15987214_large.jpg   15987215_large.jpg  
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #29
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Ok guys- I took the plunge. I got the savvy kit with fully adjustable control arms with all johnny joints and the antirock sway bar. Other than the actual jeep I have never spent so much money on something in my life.

The parts should be here by the weekend and I am putting them in next weekend. I am so freakin excited.
nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjeep05 View Post
It might not be bad to regear your Jeep. If you have the 42RLE like I do with my 32s I went 4.56s and coudn't be happier. If you plan to run 33s or 35s 5.13s or 4.88s min. 6sp you can do 33-35s on 4.88s and no prob. Welcome to the LJ club.
Hers is a rubi though so she already has 410s which wont be bad in my opinion. Not perfect but still good

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #30
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Already running 33's on 4:10's. I couldn't be happier with it. 1st is geared a bit low... but I expected that. Its a little slow going up hills and accelerating if im gentle with it. However if I beat it like it owes me money (or some damn stupid civic revs their engine at me) its got some balls. So I'm really happy with the gearing for now. The 33's rub a tad on sharp corners... but not bad at all. I did go with the 4" lift. I am a bit concerned about how differently the antirock will handle on the road. I try not to, but I tend to have a lead foot- anyone have experience with the antirock swaybar noticing a significant difference in on-road rolling? Although- when I was so excited to make that purchase last night... they didn't account for shipping on the curry website... now I'm out $300 I didn't have. Its cool though... sold my soul to chop wood all week after work to make up for the difference to be able to afford my insurance. The things a girls gotta do....

Tags
2005 , currie , rubicon , sahara , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.