Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 183 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #2731
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Good and bad news.

Alignment is done, mm bolt is fixed. Shop said I did a stellar job on my work.

Bad news is.. after getting the clean bill of health and driving Her home there is a shimmy that turns into a death wobble over 60mph. Any guesses? I'm thinking it has to do with the balancing beads in the tires.
Thats a good place to start. My GFs XJ was balanced with the dyna sand and I was trying to track down her wobble for weeks. One day I decided to swap my tires onto her Jeep and I flew down the highway with no problem.

Do you still have your stock wheels you could try swapping out for a test ride?

98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #2732
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
Thats a good place to start. My GFs XJ was balanced with the dyna sand and I was trying to track down her wobble for weeks. One day I decided to swap my tires onto her Jeep and I flew down the highway with no problem.

Do you still have your stock wheels you could try swapping out for a test ride?
Sold the stock wheels - but I had a wobble with those too. I have a feeling THAT was because of the steerinbg I had on there causes improper wear. Its all a learning process.

I am going to call a place around that has the road force balancing machine and see what they say. Keeping it below 5th gear though has still been wonderful. I missed my baby!
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #2733
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am just about the happiest person on earth right now.

Got the road force balance. It was $200 with the mounting and remounting to remove the beads. Little pricey, but it was the only shop with the road force within 40 miles.

I have learned my lesson. No beads for me. Went from a death wobble at 47 to hitting 75 (probably 80) on 35s without a single shimmy. So here's a big told you so to everyone who has told me I couldn't build a jeep that was good on roads while being an offroad beast.

I treated Alice to a nice vacuum, soap and rinse- inside and out. I just can't stop smiling.

Unread 07-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #2734
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good job!
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #2735
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good morning everyone! So sorry I have been pretty lax about posting lately... I finally got my fiancee back from Canada after a month separation and I finally got my girl back on the road after 2 months separation.

Everything is fantastic on road. I could not be happier. I am pretty much floored on the highway on a slight hill - but its a Jeep! Im ok with this.

Havent taken it off road yet - anyone have any trips planned?

I am thinking to plan a Jeepey vacation sometime this fall and hit up Raush Creek. Would anyone be interested in making a trip down in September?

Unread 08-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #2736
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There's a planned trip to RC on the weekend of August 23rd. More details in angrytj's thread
Unread 08-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #2737
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
There's a planned trip to RC on the weekend of August 23rd. More details in angrytj's thread
Unfortunately, that will be Liz's first weekend off this summer - and I cant go a whole year without having a beach weekend. I just cant.

Jeep is covered up, but I have a feeling with the weight of the water the cover will leak anyway. Its.... a bit moist up here in CT today. Some locations around have reported a foot of rain in the past 12 hours. A FOOT!!!! Imagine if that was snow. Boy oh boy, I can't wait for winter. And spring. Spring will be good. Spring is when I get rid of the little white car and follow Tyler's bad influences with much demur from my savings account.

Unread 08-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #2738
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I might be free in the end of September for another trip depending on how this one goes. What cover are you referring to? Not the soft top?
Unread 08-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #2739
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
I might be free in the end of September for another trip depending on how this one goes. What cover are you referring to? Not the soft top?
No, I havent had the top on at all since may. I got an LJ cover from 4WD to throw over it when it rains to keep my seat dry. I dont mind driving in the rain- but I do hate a wet butt.

Unread 08-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #2740
MoReace

Sisters
Before and after
Rubihara
2 of 1,000

image-2431333589.jpg
MoReace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #2741
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice! So that's what yours would look like with a painted grill, big tires and a winch bumper. Just kidding...
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #2742
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I knew there was a reason I read through this whole build thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Just going to sit under here until help or brilliance arises. Safety first- nothing worse than dust or rust in the eye.
I can think of a few things that might be worse to get in your eye... :P

I am about an hour and a half from Rausch and looking to do something end of September assuming the TJ makes it out of the garage by then...also im already plotting my return to Jeep Show next July...
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #2743
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
Nice! So that's what yours would look like with a painted grill, big tires and a winch bumper. Just kidding...
Hehe... and some sweet armor - HD suspension and steering. Its a long way to go, but a girl can only dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_LJ View Post
I knew there was a reason I read through this whole build thread...

I can think of a few things that might be worse to get in your eye... :P

I am about an hour and a half from Rausch and looking to do something end of September assuming the TJ makes it out of the garage by then...also im already plotting my return to Jeep Show next July...
I don't know... shy of hydrofluoric acid rust is pretty bad. Most chemicals you can just wash out sufficiently. Rust will scratch your cornea - and if there is one thing I learned from having PRK a cornea is not a pert of your body you want to F with. Let me know if your Jeep makes it out, Ill make a weekend of it.

Stardate 92262.76 - I love my Jeep. End Log

Unread 08-31-2014, 03:35 PM   #2744
88AKChief
1988 MJ Comanche 

wow, I just spent all my free time over the last three days reading your thread... all I can say is its like a train wreck, once you see it, you just cant stop looking. but I will say, it was the best of times and it was the worst of times, for a couple minutes there i was sure people were going to start throwing punches. I think your jeep has turned out most excellent and so has this thread honestly the best part of reaching the end is that I have not reached the end, i was a little worried over the last few pages as to whether or not it was still alive!
88AKChief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #2745
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88AKChief View Post
wow, I just spent all my free time over the last three days reading your thread... all I can say is its like a train wreck, once you see it, you just cant stop looking. but I will say, it was the best of times and it was the worst of times, for a couple minutes there i was sure people were going to start throwing punches. I think your jeep has turned out most excellent and so has this thread honestly the best part of reaching the end is that I have not reached the end, i was a little worried over the last few pages as to whether or not it was still alive!
Wow! Thank you so much! I am so happy you have enjoyed it! It always makes my day to hear that I entertained someone, even if just for a bit.

Definitely not dead - just temporarily slowed down. There is plenty more fun to be had.

I do have some bad news... after doing the GM filler hose replacement to stop the TJ overflow issue and being thrilled with it for 2 months... I overfilled at the pump again. I can not express how sad I was. This weekend I plan to take the top off and see if I can see anything wrong with the flapper valve.

Also, I have decided to not go with the drop down tailgate for now. While I love the idea - I realized that Alice is so high if I put a drop down I would not be able to get into the box that I plan to build for the trunk area.

A small modification is in works now.... since I cant carry 35" tires on the stock tire carrier, I decided to ditch it. But of course that leaves the issue of the missing 3rd brake light. I am mid-process of jimmy rigging a solution that should maintain legality (its not like I am worried about visibility in this thing) and keep appearances up.

I also have the box project in the works, I might even start on it this weekend. The plan is to build a main lockable and waterproof storage box to fit in my extra trunk space. It will be wood and not metal and no one can talk me out of it!!!! :P

Lastly, since the man is much more electronically inclined than I am - I have tasked him to design my sound system. The requirements.... be waterproof (read: jeepproof) and have a high quality sound/feel even when rolling down the highway with no doors. My budget is $1,500 - lets see what he can do!

Also, school starts up again next week so I will have much more time to post plans, projects, questions and random wanderings.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer so far!

Tags
2005 , currie , rubicon , sahara , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.