Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 182 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 06-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #2716
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Kate isn't there just a nut on the other end of that broken bolt?
There is. But it's inside the bracket- I don't think I can get a wrench in there. I could barely get my fingers in there.

[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #2717
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post

There is. But it's inside the bracket- I don't think I can get a wrench in there. I could barely get my fingers in there.

Ok. I can fit a ratcheting wrench in there. It appears to be 18mm. I have 0 leverage to break it. Sean will be home in 30. Maybe his man hands will be able to get it.

Unread 06-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #2718
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You need some long extensions and a deep socket.... how did you get the other side? I don't see why, now that the bolt is broken off you can't just push the broken bolt / nut down through the hole. Maybe with a little persuasion.
Unread 06-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #2719
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You need some long extensions and a deep socket.... how did you get the other side? I don't see why, now that the bolt is broken off you can't just push the broken bolt / nut down through the hole. Maybe with a little persuasion.
The other side bracket doesn't need to be taken off- the mount is accessible no problem. I can barely fit a wrench in There. No way a deep socket will fit, and forget about an extension.

Edit: wrong size wrench but this shows the space I have to work with. The end of the wrench is about 1/2" from the block

Unread 06-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #2720
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't think it can be forced from the top since its threaded.

Just going to sit under here until help or brilliance arises. Safety first- nothing worse than dust or rust in the eye

Unread 06-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #2721
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok. I called Brown dog- who have been vastly helpful. He said that even if I could get the leverage for a wrench or vise grips on that nut it's likely the bolt would snap again- and I definitely don't want to risk messing up the threads by pushing it through or drilling it out.

Best option is to try again from above- but he did say I can do everything but that bolt and bring it to a shop... just as long as I don't drive 300 miles like that

Unread 06-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #2722
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB
Ok. I called Brown dog- who have been vastly helpful. He said that even if I could get the leverage for a wrench or vise grips on that nut it's likely the bolt would snap again- and I definitely don't want to risk messing up the threads by pushing it through or drilling it out. Best option is to try again from above- but he did say I can do everything but that bolt and bring it to a shop... just as long as I don't drive 300 miles like that
Must be completely different than my 4cyl mounts. Sorry Kate!
Unread 06-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #2723
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Must be completely different than my 4cyl mounts. Sorry Kate!
Yeah, He said they are different. Couldn't get it out... so I'm going to do the smart thing and finish the job and bring it to a professional to get the bolt out properly.

And no worries! I always appreciate the help!

Unread 07-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #2724
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So funny story...

My ankle is finally better. I have fixed the gas tank overfill issue, body lift (which I was shocked to find that 3 mounts were not stock... I am wondering if Alice was in an accident or something), motor mount lift (they say the drivers side is the difficult side because the bracket has to be taken off... LIES. I had so much trouble with the passenger side), and transfer case linkage is done.

I spent about an hour getting the drag link and steering stabilizer on. Got all the castle nuts torqued, lines up and the PITA cotter pins in. Go to do the last part - my awesome looking OME steering stabilizer.

First... it doesnt go right into the axle side bracket. Took about 20 frustrating minutes to get it through. (There is a metal lining inside the bushing that was just wide enough to cause troubles). Then I remember that the only option for the bolt is to use a crescent wrench on the back side because the coil spring is in the way, and a socket cant be used on the nut in the front because the drag link is too close. No problem.... just got a sweet set of ratcheting wrenches! Throw a crescent on the back and a ratcheting one on the front! Easy peasey!

Here is the brilliant part. Tightening the nut pulls the bolt through towards the front. The bolt is now less than 2cm from the drag link. I cant get the ratcheting wrench off. I cant back the bolt off because it is a ratcheting wrench and it just keeps spinning. Out of all the work I have done this is the most laughable, frustrating and unforeseen f***up.

The only thing I can think of is to undo the drag link. I am so frustrated by getting those cotter pins in.... I am half tempted to just pin up the stabilizer and drive to a shop and have them fix it while I am at work. Its the simplest of things to fix but my patience. It has left me. Plus I want to get it professionally aligned with my nice new tires. Its pretty close - but I want to make sure all of the steering geometry is correct. Also I still need that motor mount bolt drilled out.

So that might be my plan...

Unread 07-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #2725
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just my advise because I have been there and back..... you need to power through these little hiccups if you're planning to do your own wrenching. I understand your frustration but it does get better. The more things you install, the more mistakes you make, the better you get and eventually things start going smoothly SOMETIMES.

A good example was just last week for me, Tate's Jeep developed a coolant leak out of no where two nights before we were to leave. I poked around and came to the conclusion that it was coming from the lower radiator hose. I took it off and noticed the clamp was on kind of cockeyed and the hose looked like it was cut at a weird angle. I did a fresh cut on the hose and reinstalled it hoping for the best. Well I drove it to work the next day and it didn't leak at all, NONE. I figure were good to go but on the next morning I see some coolant again in the same area. DAMNIT! So I work a half day, pick up a hose on my way home and plan to swap it out quickly, and head out to go camping. I put the new hose on, refill the coolant..... get the jeep up to temp, and guess what? Leaking even worse now! Mind you it's 105 degrees out..... the jeep is now hot as ****, and now I'm doing a full on water pump install! I could only LAUGH at the situation and my lack of foresight on the issue..... It's ALWAYS the water pump! It was leaking out of the weep hole and running down the lower radiator hose. i managed to get the pump installed without issue, did a quick test drive and headed up the mountain about 4 hours later than planned. BUT.... I got it done.

I know that was a long story..... but just know that you're not alone, you're doing good work and learning a lot. I just hate to see you throwing away that hard earned money and robbing yourself of the experience of figuring these things out.
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #2726
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

a tip on the cotter pins....... use a NEW one every time. Go to Harbor Freight and get the little plastic box with a ton of them in it. I rarely use them more than once and if they even fight me for a second they are gone.
Unread 07-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #2727
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Kate, good to see you back on both feet! My theory about wrenching on these things and I have three of them, is there is real time and Jeep time. If a project is supposed to be easy and take one hour in real time, it will take four hours in Jeep time. When I tell my wife that I am going out to work on the Jeep (doesn't matter which one) and say it will only take me a few hours, she knows she won't see me the rest of the day because I will be working on Jeep time. You always run into unforseen issues, that's a fact of life with Jeeps. It does get easier because you collect tools along the way and figure out little tricks that help.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 05:03 AM   #2728
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just my advise because I have been there and back..... you need to power through these little hiccups if you're planning to do your own wrenching. I understand your frustration but it does get better. The more things you install, the more mistakes you make, the better you get and eventually things start going smoothly SOMETIMES.

A good example was just last week for me, Tate's Jeep developed a coolant leak out of no where two nights before we were to leave. I poked around and came to the conclusion that it was coming from the lower radiator hose. I took it off and noticed the clamp was on kind of cockeyed and the hose looked like it was cut at a weird angle. I did a fresh cut on the hose and reinstalled it hoping for the best. Well I drove it to work the next day and it didn't leak at all, NONE. I figure were good to go but on the next morning I see some coolant again in the same area. DAMNIT! So I work a half day, pick up a hose on my way home and plan to swap it out quickly, and head out to go camping. I put the new hose on, refill the coolant..... get the jeep up to temp, and guess what? Leaking even worse now! Mind you it's 105 degrees out..... the jeep is now hot as ****, and now I'm doing a full on water pump install! I could only LAUGH at the situation and my lack of foresight on the issue..... It's ALWAYS the water pump! It was leaking out of the weep hole and running down the lower radiator hose. i managed to get the pump installed without issue, did a quick test drive and headed up the mountain about 4 hours later than planned. BUT.... I got it done.

I know that was a long story..... but just know that you're not alone, you're doing good work and learning a lot. I just hate to see you throwing away that hard earned money and robbing yourself of the experience of figuring these things out.
Quote:
a tip on the cotter pins....... use a NEW one every time. Go to Harbor Freight and get the little plastic box with a ton of them in it. I rarely use them more than once and if they even fight me for a second they are gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
Hey Kate, good to see you back on both feet! My theory about wrenching on these things and I have three of them, is there is real time and Jeep time. If a project is supposed to be easy and take one hour in real time, it will take four hours in Jeep time. When I tell my wife that I am going out to work on the Jeep (doesn't matter which one) and say it will only take me a few hours, she knows she won't see me the rest of the day because I will be working on Jeep time. You always run into unforseen issues, that's a fact of life with Jeeps. It does get easier because you collect tools along the way and figure out little tricks that help.

Thanks for all of the advice, reassurance and shared pain. Much appreciated. I do have a short temper and low patience - but it is always better the next day. Woke up early this morning ready to get stuff done.

I ended up getting the wrench out... figured if I flexed the jeep just a WEE bit it would shift the drag link enough. So that is taken care of! I just wasn't able to get the steering stabilizer on in time.

I know the stabilizer isn't crucial, so I zip tied it up and went for Alice's first drive in over 2 months if you can believe it. What a severe amount of time wasted. Well that little drive around my apartment complex felt so good it turned into a drive to work.

Didn't take it over 40 because there isn't a proper alignment, but damn did it feel good. Even without the stabilizer the steering felt much tighter than it did before.

I still plan to drop it off to the shop - there is simply no way I can remove that motor mount bolt with my tools and inexperience. I do know the difference between pushing through difficulties and being stupid and stubborn (and it is a VERY fine line with a Jeep, I know).

But if all goes well - I will hopefully have a joy ride after work today!

Unread 07-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #2729
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB
I still plan to drop it off to the shop - there is simply no way I can remove that motor mount bolt with my tools and inexperience. I do know the difference between pushing through difficulties and being stupid and stubborn (and it is a VERY fine line with a Jeep, I know). But if all goes well - I will hopefully have a joy ride after work today!
I wish I was in CT so I could help you with that motor mount, I could probably get it swapped no problem

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #2730
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good and bad news.

Alignment is done, mm bolt is fixed. Shop said I did a stellar job on my work.

Bad news is.. after getting the clean bill of health and driving Her home there is a shimmy that turns into a death wobble over 60mph. Any guesses? I'm thinking it has to do with the balancing beads in the tires.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.