Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 159 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #2371
NuclearRedneck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, Cuder. I'm still thinking about my options.

NuclearRedneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #2372
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
The hardtop has a elastomic coating on it that will not adhere to the plastic shell very well with any kind of adhesive bonded to it. I rented a new JK last year and I scratched the coating off a few places very easily.
A better option would be to use bungy cords to hold a awning on.
Of course it does. Because that means it is hard to modify with an off-the shelf adhesive.

However - there are still plenty of additives to adhesives that can easily overcome any sort of coating. Problem is.. commercial glues dont generally disclose their full formulas so I wouldnt be able to tell if it would work well. Must start own glue factory....
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #2373
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, 3 days of polar vortex have confirmed....

A Jeep with a soft top is STILL warmer than my car. I gotta hand it to those Jeep engineers... they definitely did the heating system right.

Unread 01-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #2374
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Well, 3 days of polar vortex have confirmed....

A Jeep with a soft top is STILL warmer than my car. I gotta hand it to those Jeep engineers... they definitely did the heating system right.
Especially in the summer time!
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #2375
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
Especially in the summer time!
In the summer time the Jeep is much cooler than the car. On a trip down to Tennessee last year the bearings on my 97 mercury AC compressor went - so I just bought a no-ac serpentine belt and was on my way. Jeep with no top and doors beats car with no AC in the summer.

Its an all-around comfort win-win. Ill take the Jeep over the car on a roadtrip even though its 3x more expensive... even the seats are just that more comfortable.

Unread 01-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #2376
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
In the summer time the Jeep is much cooler than the car. On a trip down to Tennessee last year the bearings on my 97 mercury AC compressor went - so I just bought a no-ac serpentine belt and was on my way. Jeep with no top and doors beats car with no AC in the summer.

Its an all-around comfort win-win. Ill take the Jeep over the car on a roadtrip even though its 3x more expensive... even the seats are just that more comfortable.
Did you have your carpet in? I can't do a long trip in the summer without carpet. Transmission pan starts to make my feet sweat
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #2377
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Did you have your carpet in? I can't do a long trip in the summer without carpet. Transmission pan starts to make my feet sweat
No - it does get really uncomfortable with the doors on and the bikini top on in the summer now that the carpet is out. Its usually not too bad for me since I am almost always wearing my work boots which are pretty good insulation - but if we are on a long highway drive Liz wont put her feet on the floor. Solution: doors off ALL THE TIME!

Unread 01-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #2378
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I forgot to snap some pictures - and the permanent switch is still being decided on - but the PIAAs are installed. They are beautiful. I just cant stop looking at them.

Also - I have started doing my research. I have decided. I am making my own snorkel. I am just stuck up on how to make it NOT look like a homemade snorkel. I am thinking some sort of foam or clay. We shall see.

Unread 01-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #2379
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also - I have started doing my research. I have decided. I am making my own snorkel. I am just stuck up on how to make it NOT look like a homemade snorkel. I am thinking some sort of foam or clay. We shall see.
Fiberglass it.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #2380
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Fiberglass it.
Didnt even think about that. Would it be more like a mold or paper mache?

Unread 01-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #2381
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
Fiberglass it.
This. Fiberglass is the way to go IMO.
elclipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #2382
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am also pretty torn between a permanent mounted snorkel... or some sort of setup where I can attach a watertight extension on the inlet when I go wheeling.

Pretty sure that I will stick with the traditional permanent snorkel. I have 6 hours of statistics class a week for the next 12 weeks. Needless to say, I have plenty of time to research.

Edit: blah, blah, interquartile ranges, blah, z-scores, blah, blah mesokurtic data - this is going to be a long 2 semesters. Lots of time for Jeep research!

Anyone have any thoughts on a ram or a "hummer" style snorkel? e.g. up the side of the winshield or straight up from the cowl vent.

Unread 01-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #2383
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Would fiberglass be as strong against tree limbs and rocks?
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #2384
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Didnt even think about that. Would it be more like a mold or paper mache?
I would build a positive model and use that to create a negative mold. Look through jscherb's builds to get lots of good pointers.

Quote:
I doubt it, but if I was designing something like this from scratch - and I am, although it's an on-the-backburner project - I'd keep it out of the likely impact zones, and then it wouldn't have to be as strong as a metal unit or as flexible as ABS. Think outside the air box.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #2385
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No - but its still fairly strong. Depending on how good the resin is and the design I dont see its strength being a huge issue. But if I ever had rocks hitting up by my windshield I think I would have much bigger problems than my DIY snorkel.

Plus- should I ever actually hit something hard enough to break it, I would still have the plug to easily make another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I would build a positive model and use that to create a negative mold. Look through jscherb's builds to get lots of good pointers.

I doubt it, but if I was designing something like this from scratch - and I am, although it's an on-the-backburner project - I'd keep it out of the likely impact zones, and then it wouldn't have to be as strong as a metal unit or as flexible as ABS. Think outside the air box.
While I am no fiberglass expert (give me a couple more "Decision making under uncertainty classes)... what is the difference between forming a fiberglass shape in a negative mold or over a positive mold?

I could either A) keep it out of an impact zone.. but I dont see how this can easily be done without hindering my view... or B) simply put a kind of bracket over the first-impact zones to kind of buffer the fiberglass.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.