Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 158 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 12-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #2356
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I used the factory panel and the switches (daystar) didn't fit right.
I'm thinking about fabing something like the spod.

olysteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #2357
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olysteve View Post
I used the factory panel and the switches (daystar) didn't fit right.
I'm thinking about fabing something like the spod.
Didn't even think about the rearview area. But I think I might stick to a lower area out of pure convenience. Bummer that your switches didn't fit though. I think I might be leaning towards custom toggle switches... but time will tell.

For now - today marks 14 days nicotine free. I have taken up drunk painting as a hobby since being in the garage triggers cravings. Another week or so and I'll be out of the zone of grumpy moods and hobbit meals and hopefully back to myself.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 02:07 AM   #2358
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats on the 14 days! Drunk painting is an okay thing as long as the Jeep isn't the canvas!
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #2359
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
Congrats on the 14 days! Drunk painting is an okay thing as long as the Jeep isn't the canvas!
Thanks! Its certainly been a rough 2 weeks but I did it!

And of course not! I did do up some sweet biohazard stuff. I also did the kracken - but its not finished yet.

Unread 12-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #2360
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice!
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #2361
jrutolajk
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
You want to mount fogs as low as possible
THIS^
That's why my KC Fogs are low. If you get anything to mount up high near the windshield, get "long range lights". It is illegal to use any light above headlight while on the road. Bit its good for Wheeling.
jrutolajk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #2362
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK. Well, I'm thinking Tyler jynxed me. My front driveshaft was making an awful and increasing chattering sound. Since that's the only thing I have had a shop fix - I'm waiting until they open back up on the 6th to look at it. Endangered species - don't let me down!

In other news... my boyfriend made me the sweetest birthday cake yesterday. When dishing it out he would ask if you wanted rocks or mud.

Unread 01-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #2363
NuclearRedneck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quick question for your chemical engineering expertise. What would be a good adhesive to stick some awning rail to the sides of my JK's hardtop? http://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Track...8#.UsjL-PYm3j0

Thanks, Tate
NuclearRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #2364
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRedneck View Post
Quick question for your chemical engineering expertise. What would be a good adhesive to stick some awning rail to the sides of my JK's hardtop? http://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Track...8#.UsjL-PYm3j0

Thanks, Tate
OK. So aluminum to what I can only assume is some sort of PVC blend for the hardtop. Aside from ordering a specialty adhesive that contains acrylic acid - an epoxy would be your best bet for an off the shelf solution. While epoxies work incredibly well for bonding plastics to metal, the main problem is that it is incredibly difficult to remove.

Is it a permanent or temporary application?

Unread 01-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #2365
NuclearRedneck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Permanent. I want to be able to put an awning up on the side of my Jeep without having to have a roof rack to support it.
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #2366
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Permanent. I want to be able to put an awning up on the side of my Jeep without having to have a roof rack to support it.
Epoxy is your best bet then. A two part system is going to have the best adhesion. The only thing I would look out for is a short chain extention - e.g. a brittle one. My only concern would be it getting too cold (if you live in a northern latitude). If an epoxy gets cold an impact could possibly break it.

With that being said... I don't know how to figure out the molecular weight of a store bought epoxy so I can't recommend one off the top of my head.

Unread 01-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #2367
NuclearRedneck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for narrowing it down to an epoxy. I'll start looking and see what I can find. Once I find a likely solution, I'll ask your opinion of it, if you don't mind. I'm not in a big hurry. Those hard tops are about $2000. I don't want to break it.
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #2368
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for narrowing it down to an epoxy. I'll start looking and see what I can find. Once I find a likely solution, I'll ask your opinion of it, if you don't mind. I'm not in a big hurry. Those hard tops are about $2000. I don't want to break it.
No worries. Im glad that my obscure glue knowledge is helpful.

Unfortunately I am much better a formulating glues then picking out off the shelf brands. Some day... some day I will have my own shop and I would be able to mix you up something customer. That's the dream anyway.

Unread 01-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #2369
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Alice is back in my garage!!!

Endangered fixed the ujoint for free and did the other 2 while they were there.

They even figured out what O2 sensor was wacky, gave me some suggestions about why my evap code comes on and off (likely the gas cap) - and most importantly figured out the squealing.

The water pump has play in it. My bad for buying a remanufactured one. In addition the clutch fan and the idler have a bit of play. So... next paycheck she gets a new pump, fan, idler and belt. That should do it!

My god was it so nice to drive a Jeep again after using the Tracer all week.

Unread 01-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #2370
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks, Tate
The hardtop has a elastomic coating on it that will not adhere to the plastic shell very well with any kind of adhesive bonded to it. I rented a new JK last year and I scratched the coating off a few places very easily.
A better option would be to use bungy cords to hold a awning on.

Tags
2005 , currie , rubicon , sahara , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.