Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 155 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #2311
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I could see 10mpg easily, at 78 & dealing with mountains.

I get 14-15 @75mph...but usually don't go over 70mph

Sent by a messenger bird

jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #2312
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
I could see 10mpg easily, at 78 & dealing with mountains.

I get 14-15 @75mph...but usually don't go over 70mph

Sent by a messenger bird
Yeah, I usually travel around 70 - but I may have wanted to beat my grandparents there...

Steep hills definitely make a difference. I'm already around 12mpg - and still have a bit to go before the 1/4 mile milestone. That's including 4wd to work, other work and lunch...and running the jeep for heat while I splurged on a giant cheeseburg cause I forgot lunch.

I'm hopeful!
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #2313
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good news is - second calculation is giving me over 13mpg... almost enough to round it to 14.

This is my average driving scenario... multiple short trips, stop & go - mostly on steep hills, running 4wd for half a day and letting the jeep run in the morning to heat up and defrost... ect.

I am pretty happy with that - considering all of the extra weight that is on it. I bet I could easily get her up around 15/16mpg if I were to baby my acceleration, and if it was a straight trip - not 5 miles here and 2 miles there.

Unread 12-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #2314
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Idk about that 16 number. When I was driving all highway I would get 14-15, with a rare 16 in there. averaging 15.2 over 52,733 miles. Sheesh
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #2315
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Idk about that 16 number. When I was driving all highway I would get 14-15, with a rare 16 in there. averaging 15.2 over 52,733 miles. Sheesh
I'm being optimistic Tyler. Don't ruin it!

Unread 12-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #2316
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
I'm being optimistic Tyler. Don't ruin it!
Oh you should be right around 22mpg!
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #2317
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are the newer Jeeps really that bad? Ive only dealt with CJs, YJs and XJs but I figured the gas mileage would have improved with the newer ones. My GFs XJ with over 180k on 33" super swampers is still getting about 17-18mpg and her daily commute is the least optimal for gas mileage;short trips, all hills, long idles, etc. My tired old 4 banger YJ with over 240k even pushes 13-14mpg all loaded up.

Whens the last time you did a full tune up? Have you gone through all your fluids? Checked all the vacuum lines? Keep an eye on your tire pressure and rotate the tires often enough? All these things can make a big effect on your overall gas mileage
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #2318
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

After you have your jeep for a while you'll stop worrying about Mpg. We drive bricks powered by tractor engines with parachutes on the back, they aren't going to get good MPG.
Unread 12-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #2319
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
After you have your jeep for a while you'll stop worrying about Mpg. We drive bricks powered by tractor engines with parachutes on the back, they aren't going to get good MPG.
I still consider it & track it (mainly to know if something happens & I have a huge drop)

...I consider it....but I also consider how my stroker sounds when I give it the beans ....sometimes the sound wins over the mpg. Wot is like a symphony.

OT, just track it under your normal conditions & if you're getting really bad mpg, then start looking into things that could be wrong

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #2320
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
I still consider it & track it (mainly to know if something happens & I have a huge drop)

...I consider it....but I also consider how my stroker sounds when I give it the beans ....sometimes the sound wins over the mpg. Wot is like a symphony.

OT, just track it under your normal conditions & if you're getting really bad mpg, then start looking into things that could be wrong

Sent by a messenger bird
This is what I do. I've been using fuelly for years and its nice to know it's been pretty consistent
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #2321
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yep-

I always give her proper attention. Last full tune up was when I was replacing my water pump. I usually rotate and check my tire pressure every time I get an oil change, which was every 3000 before I switched to full synthetic.

Diff and tranny fluid was swapped a couple months ago. Its just a heavy vehicle. I am already noticing how much heavier it is than last year after slip and sliding out of my driveway this morning.

Overall, I am not worried about gas mileage. I do have a beater car I can drive anytime I want that gets 34 mpg - but I would rather pay double to drive a vehicle I like driving... as I am sure the majority of us here do

Unread 12-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #2322
Harold_Ray

Quote:
We drive bricks powered by tractor engines with parachutes on the back, they aren't going to get good MPG.
I traded a 3/4 GMC long bed, big motor when I got my Jeep Rubicon. It got around 16 mpg. At the time, I asked D.J., my salesman, about the gas milage. He said, "Doc, this thing has all of the aerodynamics of a brick." I get around 15 mpg after raising the body another 2 inches and adding better tires. I gained about a half mile per gallon with the tire change, which I assumed was due to less road to tire friction.

I added racks, heavy duty bumpers, etc., so It's probably 1,000 pounds heavier than when I bought it, and it gets poor milage, but I have a blast driving it.

If you're looking for great gas milage at this time, don't buy a Jeep, but if you want a great ride, buy the Jeep. I have people stop me regularly to talk about mine; where did you get the racks, Gobi, http://www.gobiracks.com/Jeep/JKL.htm, or the bumpers. I tried to get BESRK to build those, but he wasn't doing bumpers for Rubicons, so I bought Garvin, and have been very happy with them.
Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #2323
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold_Ray View Post

I traded a 3/4 GMC long bed, big motor when I got my Jeep Rubicon. It got around 16 mpg. At the time, I asked D.J., my salesman, about the gas milage. He said, "Doc, this thing has all of the aerodynamics of a brick." I get around 15 mpg after raising the body another 2 inches and adding better tires. I gained about a half mile per gallon with the tire change, which I assumed was due to less road to tire friction.

I added racks, heavy duty bumpers, etc., so It's probably 1,000 pounds heavier than when I bought it, and it gets poor milage, but I have a blast driving it.

If you're looking for great gas milage at this time, don't buy a Jeep, but if you want a great ride, buy the Jeep. I have people stop me regularly to talk about mine; where did you get the racks, Gobi, http://www.gobiracks.com/Jeep/JKL.htm, or the bumpers. I tried to get BESRK to build those, but he wasn't doing bumpers for Rubicons, so I bought Garvin, and have been very happy with them.
Well thanks for the advice... but I've owned Alice for 2 years. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I hope a few of you out there are having fun in the snow. I certainly did. Had fun with a bit of excessive sliding in 2wd in a big parking lot.

Unread 12-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #2324
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Kate, post up some parking lot donut videos!
Unread 12-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #2325
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Hi Kate, post up some parking lot donut videos!
If I can figure out how to do so... I shall

Tags
2005 , currie , rubicon , sahara , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.