Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 148 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #2206
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like it was a good time!

91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #2207
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpersona View Post
be glad you didnt break down leaving there. saw 5 jeeps on the side of 84 broken down. and all were covered in mud from the trench
I am very happy with the amount of that stuff that made its way into my engine bay. It was like cement too - I was overheating by the time I got all the way home.

However, I think the overheating issue was existing and the extra insulation exacerbated it. My current convention is that I have a leak somewhere in my cooling system - allowing the coolant to boil off. I am hoping it is the cap - but I am also prepared for it to be the head gasket. Ill do some more prodding this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Be weary of your brakes too... my caliper seized from the water crossing
Good god Tyler! That swamp really kicked your ***. I made sure to hose down my calipers and suspension/steering parts before I trekked all the way back home - then washed everything twice and I need a more detailed cleaning. Should be all good though.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #2208
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
Looks like it was a good time!
It certainly was. Its amazing how gut-wrenching it is to see someone you dont even know take a hard hit on the rock garden. Except that stock unlimited JK - he had it coming. Never put your balls before your Jeep.

It was nice meeting up with everyone, and as much trouble as it gave me - Ill do the trench again next year.

Also- I need to clarify a few things even though Andy is well within his rights to make fun of me. I stalled when I hit the deep water of the trench in an attempt to not use the clutch for fear of getting the water sucked up in there. This tactic proved disastrous. I have learned better - but that stock liberty crawled through at a snails pace on the far right side where it was mostly dry (notice no excessive mud splatter). Ok- now I feel better, proceed to make fun of me.

Unread 09-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #2209
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post

Also- I need to clarify a few things even though Andy is well within his rights to make fun of me. I stalled when I hit the deep water of the trench in an attempt to not use the clutch for fear of getting the water sucked up in there. This tactic proved disastrous. I have learned better - but that stock liberty crawled through at a snails pace on the far right side where it was mostly dry (notice no excessive mud splatter). Ok- now I feel better, proceed to make fun of me.
With a little practice, you can shift without the clutch; comes in handy if a linkage fails!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using JeepForum
tdavid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #2210
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katekgb View Post
ok- now i feel better, proceed to make fun of me.
what a loser!!!
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #2211
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavid14 View Post
With a little practice, you can shift without the clutch; comes in handy if a linkage fails!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using JeepForum
I have actually been thinking about trying this - but I was thinking that throwing it in neutral would have the same effect - no?

Checked out the Jeep at lunch today- coolant was boiling after running the Jeep for 2 minutes at an idle. The cap looked a little warped - so I am going to go buy a new cap after work and see if that helps.

Now- would a non-pressurized system also cause the heat to fail or would that more likely be a thermostat or heater core issue?

Unread 09-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #2212
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
what a loser!!!
Says the guy who didnt show due to a hangover...

Unread 09-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #2213
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Says the guy who didnt show due to a hangover...
I was not hungover, just wanted to nap lol ended up going hiking
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #2214
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Was not radiator cap. Was not thermostat. That's as far as it went today.

Next in line is the water pump I believe...

Unread 09-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #2215
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Next in line is the water pump I believe...
Check the fuel sending unit. You have a spare one, still, if it turns out to be non-functional.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #2216
H3lzsn1p3r

Quote:
I have actually been thinking about trying this - but I was thinking that throwing it in neutral would have the same effect - no?

Checked out the Jeep at lunch today- coolant was boiling after running the Jeep for 2 minutes at an idle. The cap looked a little warped - so I am going to go buy a new cap after work and see if that helps.

Now- would a non-pressurized system also cause the heat to fail or would that more likely be a thermostat or heater core issue?
it is not the same effect as using the clutch in mud.

have the system pressure tested it will show if there are leaks or not if there is a leak the pressure will drop and then coolant will be leaking out somewhere and it will be easier to find
H3lzsn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #2217
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check the clutch fan and the electric fan to make sure they are working properly.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #2218
jrutolajk
2008 JK Wrangler 

One more
Myself (Josh), Andy, Sean, Kate, kate's Cousin, Mike and his son. One hell of a day!
Only missed a few friends. One who left early, and one who chickened out
da-group.jpeg

jrutolajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #2219
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Check the fuel sending unit. You have a spare one, still, if it turns out to be non-functional.

So... maybe since I have an extra fuel sending unit - this I happening. I should try not being such a d***weed and actually getting that packaged box mailed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
it is not the same effect as using the clutch in mud.

have the system pressure tested it will show if there are leaks or not if there is a leak the pressure will drop and then coolant will be leaking out somewhere and it will be easier to find
This is my plan today I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
Check the clutch fan and the electric fan to make sure they are working properly.
The fans are alright.

It made so much sense that it was the thermostat - all the symptoms seemed like it was stuck closed. It would explain the no heat, the engine overheating and the coolant boiling.

I'm going to call around places today to see where I can get it pressure tested. This replace everything that could be broken deal works when the parts are around $10 - I am starting to get away from that realm.

Certainly must figure it out soon - I may now have another car to drive but its not very fun and I am getting Jeep withdrawal. Plus reaching up to a cashier at a drive-through and not being able to see over bushes to make a right on red is really starting to bother me.

Unread 09-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #2220
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

This replace everything that could be broken deal works when the parts are around $10 - I am starting to get away from that realm.
But you could have a new jeep doing this!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.