Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 143 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #2131
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
I am pretty sure that bacon is the only way to describe how awesome these are. I mean... just look at the reflection of the custom step plate in the powdercoating!!!!!

Oh yeah - dont know if I mentioned but my safari mirrors and door-entry guards came in as well. I am digging the entry guards. So simple, but they look sharp. The stock adhesive tape protecting the doors was starting to crack and discolor... was looking pretty icky. Well worth the $14 for them. However- looking at that picture above has drawn my attention to the fact that Jeep left the spot over the pedals white. It looks silly and I now must fix it.

I also realized that I had told someone I was going to post a detailed how-to for the sliders but I completely forgot to take documentation pictures... again.

Either way- the process was very easy. Like Tyler told me, much easier than the instructions had made them out to be.

Step 1: The WW2WW versions must be slipped under the fender flares. So spend approximately 2 weeks chipping away at getting the 8 needed bolts out of the stupid nutserts. It is preferable to do this over a period of two weeks to prevent your head from exploding out of rage.

Step 2: Remove stock rockers and wipe down the whole area with IPA to make sure no dirt gets stuck under there.

Step 3: Build a shoddy makeshift platform for your jack because the damn Jeep is too high off the ground for any normal jack to work on its own

Step 4: They say they can be installed solo - but I don't see how you could really line up these things correctly on your own. They are large and they are incredibly beefy... so bring a friend.

Step 5: Realize once you have them jacked up that they are not WW2WW and you spent all that time getting the fender flare bolts off for no damn reason. Say "g**d***it" a lot.

Step 6: Preload the rockers by jacking them up with a piece of wood. I jacked them up until the tub moved up and then one more pump on the hydraulic lift. Good news is - two of the bolts from the stock Rubicon rocker guards line up with the A to Z fab ones so you have a good reference point if the rockers are even in the right place to begin with.

Step 7: I started off using a 2" long 2x4 to jack them up to try to get even weight distribution. I found out that it is much better to use a shorter piece. It does just as good of a job and it doesn't block off the holes on the underside. Mark all of the holes with a sharpie. For this i traced the circles AND marked a dot dead center from straight on to make sure that I would center the drill properly. 7 circles to be marked on the side and 4 underneath.

Step 8: Attempt doing things textbook and drill pilot holes in the tub. Realize that being a measure once, cut once kind of person is the spice of life and go at it with the 3/8" drill bit. Don't forget to drill out the stock nutserts! One on each side was a little tricky since there was a lot of seam sealer on the area behind the seats and that stuff is too soft to be drilled through efficiently. There is also one on the underside for each side that is tricky because it just happens to line up where the tub curves up just in front of the seat bracket. It will try to push the drill off to the side- just be aware of it. Also don't forget the two holes that are offset down next to the step like I did. It was a pain to drill everything out and realize that I forgot to mark out the two spots for those near-hidden holes and jack them up all over again.

Step 9: Deburr all of the drilled holes. A piece of rough sandpaper worked perfectly fine for me. Then prime everything you drilled out to prevent rust.

Step 10: While you are waiting for the primer to dry, get the gaskets attached. My roll O' gaskets got wet somehow so I was worried about them being difficult to cut to size and install - however it wasnt too bad. I lined them up on the rockers and traced out the shape on the paper lining. I only did the sides and didnt worry about the bottoms. This is because the tub on the jeep isnt flat and putting the gasket on the bottom would actually introduce more opportunity for water and sand to get up underneath them.

I didn't worry about tracing them exactly because I planned to cut them about 4mm inside the traceline. I then folded the gasket in half to find the midpoint, took off the lining and stuck the midpoint of the gasket to the midpoint of the rocker. Then you can use a flat edge of any sort to smooth the gasket from the middle out to each side. Voila! Perfectly cut and perfectly laid down gasket. I then used a razorblade to make a cross-hatch on the gasket for each hole and pushed it through with a screwdriver through the rocker and gasket so I would be able to see how the rockers lined up with my holes.

Step 11: I don't think this was necessary, but I let the primer dry over night before proceeding. Next morning I jacked the rockers up again so they lined up. Starting in the center I got all the bolts through and began going around to tighten them.

Step 12: Almost all of them fastened without a hitch. There was one of the lower off-set ones on the side that was so close to the 90degree turn in the tub that I couldnt get a socket on the nut and had to use a wrench to tighten. No biggie.

The biggest pain was that stupid seam sealer crap. For a few of them I had to chip it away with a screwdriver and razorblade so I could get the washer and nut on the bolt.

The only other issue that I had was that for one of the bolts from underneath on each side was on that curve in the tub and I couldn't get a washer on them. I omitted the washer figuring that the other 3 could more than hold the weight of the rockers and I wasn't afraid of denting my tub a tad with the nut.

Step 13: I actually still have to do this. Today perhaps. Retighten all of the bolts, put the 8 fender flare bolts back on and lay down some black silicone along the rockers. Even though I have the gasket I want to make sure water and dirt can't work its way underneath the adhesive over time.

Step 14: Drive barefoot with the doors off and your foot on the rocker. It feels AMAZING. I love me some wind in the toes

Step 15: (Instruction 6 in the A to Z fab instructions) Beat them on rocks! That's what they are made for! I played around in MaBell a bit this weekend- hit a couple rocks gently and didn't even scuff the powdercoating. Great success.
Just wanted to see what this book looked like quoted.

Unread 08-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #2132
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post

Yeah, I had some time to kill at work the other day. Figured I would make a detailed account of my trials. So worth it though. I freakin love them!
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #2133
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Lulz
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #2134
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So - I had the doors on this weekend for the first time since the carpet was taken out. Those really do wonders for insulation. It was miserable hot in the jeep with the doors on. Hopefully the bedliner will help.

I am not exactly sure when I will be able to get to the actual application though. I am going to try to get the majority of the prep work done this week, but I have been a tad sick and havent been up to much.

In addition- I am busy this weekend so I will either have to wait until next weekend or see if I can snag rides back and forth to work for 2 days while I allow for a careful application and drying steps.

Unread 08-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #2135
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not too much happening with Alice this week.

Oil pressure is running a notch higher than usual - but everything else seems to be in tip top shape.

Went to bring decent Chinese food to my family up in the Berkshires yesterday. Threw $70 worth of takeout on the passenger floor, slid the seat up and threw a hoodie over it... and hour later it was still just as hot. One plus to poor insulation! But really - I will be looking into some sort of insulation solution to place between the exhaust and the tub. Has anyone heard of this being done before?

Unread 08-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #2136
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I looked into getting something like this a while back for my cherokee because it got so hot it made my carpet smoke. There are a kind of matt that you attach to the body of your jeep between the muffler and the body. I don't think I'd go with a wrap for the exhaust, I've heard of them causing your exhaust to rust out quicker. Probably much quicker in your area with how much problem rust is anyway.
Just my 2 pennys worth
olysteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #2137
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olysteve View Post
I looked into getting something like this a while back for my cherokee because it got so hot it made my carpet smoke. There are a kind of matt that you attach to the body of your jeep between the muffler and the body. I don't think I'd go with a wrap for the exhaust, I've heard of them causing your exhaust to rust out quicker. Probably much quicker in your area with how much problem rust is anyway.
Just my 2 pennys worth
I wasn't thinking a wrap - more of a spray foam or something. That would have the best insulating properties, but a mat like you mentioned would probably be a lot easier.

Damn engineers always over think everything.

Unread 08-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #2138
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have worked directly with engineers before, enough said. LoL!
I haven't heard of a spray that will withstand the heat that our exhaust puts off, but then again I don't work for a chem company,,,,,,,,,,,
olysteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #2139
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I will be spraying this on if I ever remove my tub.
http://www.lizardskin.com/car-ceramic-insulation.html
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #2140
A_Ninja_Racer

Quote:
I will be spraying this on if I ever remove my tub.
http://www.lizardskin.com/car-ceramic-insulation.html
I have heard wonderful things about this product. I agree it's a great idea for anyone that is planning to take their tub off the frame.
A_Ninja_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #2141
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You could probably put this on the inside of the floor/tunnel instead of underside. This looks great, I may spray the inside of the roof of my XJ under my headliner.
91AzXJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #2142
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
You could probably put this on the inside of the floor/tunnel instead of underside. This looks great, I may spray the inside of the roof of my XJ under my headliner.
I don't think it can handle being stepped on; I'm going for under the tub, covered with coats of black paint.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using JeepForum
tdavid14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #2143
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Kate, I was just watching Trucks! on TV and saw this at the end of the show...

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...um-pipe-shield

...and it made me think of you. I think it's the solution you're looking for.
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #2144
94eagle

Awesome!
94eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #2145
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
Kate, I was just watching Trucks! on TV and saw this at the end of the show...

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...um-pipe-shield

...and it made me think of you. I think it's the solution you're looking for.
Well thanks for thinking of me! That is impressive - but I could not justify spending $50/ft on a material that is mostly rock and sand (silica being a cheap and probably most widely used filler). Plus - if I can find a manageable foam application that can withstand high temperatures... it would be a much better insulator than a partially metal solution.

Tags
2005 , currie , rubicon , sahara , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.