Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 142 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #2116
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You really need to get to where you have a garage if you are going to run a nightshift jeep werks lol
On the more serious side of things, that sucks about the mixup with the sliders. I take it you're going to run them?

olysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #2117
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olysteve View Post
You really need to get to where you have a garage if you are going to run a nightshift jeep werks lol
On the more serious side of things, that sucks about the mixup with the sliders. I take it you're going to run them?
I do have a garage! I spend more time in there than anywhere else. It just stil needs more lighting. I will run them only since I wanted all of my visible armor to have the same powder coating.

Before

After!!!!

A to Z fab installation step #6: beat them on rocks.... check!!! P.S - Alice would look pretty sweet with black rims
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #2118
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So... today was a very satisfying day. Phase #2 of my jeep build is almost complete. Now - I don't think I ever outlined my phases from when I bought her stock so here they are.

Phase #1: off-road necessities - bigger tires, suspension lift, sway bar solution, front bumper and winch

Phase #2: aesthetics and body protection - fastback soft top, rear bumper, rock sliders and bed liner

Phase #3: more protection - body and motor mount lifts, tummy tuck, steering, oil pan and gas tank skids, stronger diff covers, upgraded steering, security box

Phase #4: learn to fabricate - grill guard addition to front bumper, half doors, reinforced roll cage, upgraded brakes, snorkel and the jury is still out on a performance chip

Phase #5: a girl can dream - 6" lift, high line kit, 37" tires, 5.33 gearing, new exhaust setup and crate engine.

My god... the journey has just begun.

Unread 08-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #2119
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post

Yup to bad it's over $50 to ship that thing all the way across the world to you guys!
Thats not too bad. If I have money to play with out of my next paycheck I will hit you up to see if you still have it. After my preliminary run to check out MaBell I think I would feel a lot more comfortable with a GTS.

In other news- I had to break out the leather jacket on my way into work today. It was a tad chilly on the highway with no wind protection. Happy Monday everyone!

Unread 08-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #2120
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ah, I thought you were working on it outside.
Jeep looks good with the sliders.
olysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #2121
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olysteve View Post
Ah, I thought you were working on it outside.
Jeep looks good with the sliders.
Nope. My landlord gave me full use of our double bay garage a month or so ago. I spent hours cleaning all the crap out of it and organizing it. Now I have a nice tool storage area, workbench, work area and even a couch and a table to kick back and have a beer between projects. The only thing its missing is a bit more lighting and a disco ball.

Thanks! I absolutely love them - especially with the die-cut steps. I think it looks sharp, they are beastly and they make a convenient foot rest for when the doors are off.

Unread 08-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #2122
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
After!!!!

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #2123
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
I am pretty sure that bacon is the only way to describe how awesome these are. I mean... just look at the reflection of the custom step plate in the powdercoating!!!!!

Oh yeah - dont know if I mentioned but my safari mirrors and door-entry guards came in as well. I am digging the entry guards. So simple, but they look sharp. The stock adhesive tape protecting the doors was starting to crack and discolor... was looking pretty icky. Well worth the $14 for them. However- looking at that picture above has drawn my attention to the fact that Jeep left the spot over the pedals white. It looks silly and I now must fix it.

I also realized that I had told someone I was going to post a detailed how-to for the sliders but I completely forgot to take documentation pictures... again.

Either way- the process was very easy. Like Tyler told me, much easier than the instructions had made them out to be.

Step 1: The WW2WW versions must be slipped under the fender flares. So spend approximately 2 weeks chipping away at getting the 8 needed bolts out of the stupid nutserts. It is preferable to do this over a period of two weeks to prevent your head from exploding out of rage.

Step 2: Remove stock rockers and wipe down the whole area with IPA to make sure no dirt gets stuck under there.

Step 3: Build a shoddy makeshift platform for your jack because the damn Jeep is too high off the ground for any normal jack to work on its own

Step 4: They say they can be installed solo - but I don't see how you could really line up these things correctly on your own. They are large and they are incredibly beefy... so bring a friend.

Step 5: Realize once you have them jacked up that they are not WW2WW and you spent all that time getting the fender flare bolts off for no damn reason. Say "g**d***it" a lot.

Step 6: Preload the rockers by jacking them up with a piece of wood. I jacked them up until the tub moved up and then one more pump on the hydraulic lift. Good news is - two of the bolts from the stock Rubicon rocker guards line up with the A to Z fab ones so you have a good reference point if the rockers are even in the right place to begin with.

Step 7: I started off using a 2" long 2x4 to jack them up to try to get even weight distribution. I found out that it is much better to use a shorter piece. It does just as good of a job and it doesn't block off the holes on the underside. Mark all of the holes with a sharpie. For this i traced the circles AND marked a dot dead center from straight on to make sure that I would center the drill properly. 7 circles to be marked on the side and 4 underneath.

Step 8: Attempt doing things textbook and drill pilot holes in the tub. Realize that being a measure once, cut once kind of person is the spice of life and go at it with the 3/8" drill bit. Don't forget to drill out the stock nutserts! One on each side was a little tricky since there was a lot of seam sealer on the area behind the seats and that stuff is too soft to be drilled through efficiently. There is also one on the underside for each side that is tricky because it just happens to line up where the tub curves up just in front of the seat bracket. It will try to push the drill off to the side- just be aware of it. Also don't forget the two holes that are offset down next to the step like I did. It was a pain to drill everything out and realize that I forgot to mark out the two spots for those near-hidden holes and jack them up all over again.

Step 9: Deburr all of the drilled holes. A piece of rough sandpaper worked perfectly fine for me. Then prime everything you drilled out to prevent rust.

Step 10: While you are waiting for the primer to dry, get the gaskets attached. My roll O' gaskets got wet somehow so I was worried about them being difficult to cut to size and install - however it wasnt too bad. I lined them up on the rockers and traced out the shape on the paper lining. I only did the sides and didnt worry about the bottoms. This is because the tub on the jeep isnt flat and putting the gasket on the bottom would actually introduce more opportunity for water and sand to get up underneath them.

I didn't worry about tracing them exactly because I planned to cut them about 4mm inside the traceline. I then folded the gasket in half to find the midpoint, took off the lining and stuck the midpoint of the gasket to the midpoint of the rocker. Then you can use a flat edge of any sort to smooth the gasket from the middle out to each side. Voila! Perfectly cut and perfectly laid down gasket. I then used a razorblade to make a cross-hatch on the gasket for each hole and pushed it through with a screwdriver through the rocker and gasket so I would be able to see how the rockers lined up with my holes.

Step 11: I don't think this was necessary, but I let the primer dry over night before proceeding. Next morning I jacked the rockers up again so they lined up. Starting in the center I got all the bolts through and began going around to tighten them.

Step 12: Almost all of them fastened without a hitch. There was one of the lower off-set ones on the side that was so close to the 90degree turn in the tub that I couldnt get a socket on the nut and had to use a wrench to tighten. No biggie.

The biggest pain was that stupid seam sealer crap. For a few of them I had to chip it away with a screwdriver and razorblade so I could get the washer and nut on the bolt.

The only other issue that I had was that for one of the bolts from underneath on each side was on that curve in the tub and I couldn't get a washer on them. I omitted the washer figuring that the other 3 could more than hold the weight of the rockers and I wasn't afraid of denting my tub a tad with the nut.

Step 13: I actually still have to do this. Today perhaps. Retighten all of the bolts, put the 8 fender flare bolts back on and lay down some black silicone along the rockers. Even though I have the gasket I want to make sure water and dirt can't work its way underneath the adhesive over time.

Step 14: Drive barefoot with the doors off and your foot on the rocker. It feels AMAZING. I love me some wind in the toes

Step 15: (Instruction 6 in the A to Z fab instructions) Beat them on rocks! That's what they are made for! I played around in MaBell a bit this weekend- hit a couple rocks gently and didn't even scuff the powdercoating. Great success.

Unread 08-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #2124
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How was ma-bell?
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #2125
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
How was ma-bell?
Freakin awesome. Turns out - its a whole 5 minutes away from my old house. I had been meaning to check out that trail for months having no idea what it was.

The gate-keeper gave me just a hint of trouble - with the rain there is a deep gully across the middle of it. I hit my front bumper on it... I don't know how well you would fare without a lift Tyler. I only went down it about a mile or so. It was a last minute call so my recovery gear was still in CT and I wasn't running with anyone else. I did like how there were multiple ways to get through each obstacle. For everything I saw there was an "easy", medium and "insane" level of difficulty. Definitely want to revisit soon.

Unread 08-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #2126
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't know how well you would fare without a lift Tyler.
In time...
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #2127
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

She sits a tad lower now with all the armor and the doors back on. I still think she's one of the most visually attractive jeeps I have ever seen. I'm proud.

Unread 08-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #2128
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good Kate, sliders are legit.
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #2129
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
She sits a tad lower now with all the armor and the doors back on. I still think she's one of the most visually attractive jeeps I have ever seen. I'm proud.
I've seen better...
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #2130
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Looking good Kate, sliders are legit.
Thanks Nate! I think they really make the jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post

I've seen better...
You wish, son.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.