Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 133 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #1981
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
I will take the arizona 115 any day over a new england 85. For the past 3 days its been so humid visibility is down to like a half mile at most.... and I live in the foothills now - I cant imagine what the CT river valley is like.
When the monsoon starts in July it can be 115 and raining

Sent from my SPH-D710 using JeepForum

tdavid14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #1982
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Don't need to wait for the Monsoon to show up, It's supposed to be 118 on Friday. But it's a dry heat so come on down Kate!
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #1983
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncdriver View Post
Humid, you can cut it with a knife here. 90* and 90% humidity. It will be that way until September. I cant wait until fall!
Blech. Im guessing you are down in NC. I have found NC to be mainly tolerable- at least within a 100 miles of the coast. Its Tennessee, inland Georgia and the likes that are just plain miserable. I was going to move down there with my family until I realized that there are 6 months of hell-summer down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
loud exhaust is always my first upgrade I make custom exhausts with my pipe bender
here is my jeep with the 4L it sounds like a non turbo diesel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VJNKwRP_y4
I am really excited to watch this when I am off of work. How much effort goes into making one for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavid14 View Post
When the monsoon starts in July it can be 115 and raining

Sent from my SPH-D710 using JeepForum
F*** everything about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
Don't need to wait for the Monsoon to show up, It's supposed to be 118 on Friday. But it's a dry heat so come on down Kate!
But.... its finally stopped heat-waving here! If I am going anywhere at all away from New England it will most certainly be north.

In other news - I know I had lost some acceleration after putting on that beastly rear bumper. But my drive to work proved that as long as I start from a stop and I am not already going 40+ I still have plenty of acceleration to beat a Jetta 3 miles down the highway. I am content.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #1984
H3lzsn1p3r

I don't have any issues making exhausts its a 2 hour job if major bending is required
H3lzsn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #1985
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
I don't have any issues making exhausts its a 2 hour job if major bending is required
Do you just take straight diameter pipe and bend it to shape or are there other fancy workings going on?

Unread 06-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #1986
H3lzsn1p3r

Quote:
Do you just take straight diameter pipe and bend it to shape or are there other fancy workings going on?
I did a custom y pipe because I have duals in front of the rear tires on either side

H3lzsn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:12 AM   #1987
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A little package from monstaliner came in on Friday. Looking to prep during the week and get it done next weekend.

Please pardon my shiny chrome grill of death...

Unread 06-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #1988
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I also took Liz to the drive in theater this weekend! Another perfect place for a Jeep. There are so many perches! For next time.... must figure out how to put
the windshield down.

Unread 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #1989
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok - so I got my new door-limiting straps on. They are still a tad too long for parking-lot comfort so I will have to take them off and make a quick adjustment- but then I will get a picture up and start attempting to make door handle straps as well.

In other news- I figured that since I would be monstalining the tub interior I should definitely get my box built prior to application time so I have all of my ducks in order.

My box will be approximately 36" wide, 23" deep (still gotta check the back seat angle - I think it moves back further as you fold and tumble them up) and 13" high. I plan to make said box out of wood.... but use the fender walls of the jeep to make up the sides to save both weight and frustration.

Now- onto start figuring out what I am going to need to store in there and how I want it to be laid out. I am also debating making it a single solid removable box or if I want to have it notched out so I can take it apart in pieces for convenience and storage flexibility.

Unread 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #1990
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have my basic design laid out in my head... but here is the tough question. What kind of finish to go for on the top? I am debating a nice clear coated polyurethane with some nicer wood... marine carpet so people can comfortably sit on it or a bedliner type deal. If I do go bedliner, it will be a question of black or green to match my new interior. So many choices!!!!

Edit: It will also be higher than 13". I think I will mount the top to the tub versus the wheel wells as long as it will work with the soft top...

I am now leaning towards a nicely stained wood finish. Bedliner is too rough for bare legs to sit on and carpet would just look odd in a Jeep that has the rest of the carpet removed. It would certainly be unique.

I am actually getting really excited about this project. Instatrunk solutions: approximately 3ft^3 of space for $300+
Kate solution: Approximately 8.5ft^3 of secure storage space, estimated fabrication cost - $80... plus the pride of doing it yourself and making it way better than a mass- produced unit... priceless.

Unread 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #1991
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok - so I am still working up designs for the storage box. I think I am going to take my time with it a bit more than I anticipated though. The position of the seatbelts in the LJ might require a creative solution if I do want to go tubrail to tubrail.

My task this week is to get the winch up and running. That shouldn't be too difficult. Liz and I have planned to go venture off into the woods of Vermont Thursday and find us a nice secluded lake.

Unread 07-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #1992
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I like the design of my Tuffy trunk. It makes the most of the space behind the seat by going with the same angle as the back of the seat and going on top of the wheel wells to either roll bar. Im sure you could mimic it with wood

98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #1993
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I like the design of my Tuffy trunk. It makes the most of the space behind the seat by going with the same angle as the back of the seat and going on top of the wheel wells to either roll bar. Im sure you could mimic it with wood
Yep - pretty much exactly what I am looking for except I want it to sit flush with the body if at all possible. My dad is a woodworker - so I think I might get the basic design done myself then I might have him help me do some fancy work on the top to make it look nice.

Unread 07-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #1994
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok - so I am still working up designs for the storage box. I think I am going to take my time with it a bit more than I anticipated though. The position of the seatbelts in the LJ might require a creative solution if I do want to go tubrail to tubrail.
Why would you do that? Unless you're going to do what I did with Greta's back end - and you're not - there's really no logical reason to go rail-to-rail; you gain NO appreciable storage for your efforts. You just can't do much with the space around the C-pillar mounts, aside from stuffing a few recovery straps and your towel around them...and you can do that a lot easier WITHOUT a cover in the way. It's much easier and more cost-effective to build a lid and partition that spans your cargo area and is pitched from the top surface of the wheel wells; you can either make it flush with the sheet metal, there, or you can raise it to the level of the tub rails for an extra 4" of storage space. Look at what Beasley did with the back of his LJ and you'll see where you need to direct your thoughts. After you get some ideas, make yourself a few diagrams and templates and have your local sheet metal guy bend it up out of 14- or 16-gauge stuff. Easy, peasy, Japanesey.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #1995
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Keep up the good work.

Tags
2005 , currie , rubicon , sahara , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.