Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #181
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well you have Eugene the Jeep which is the most known one I would think. The second came from military slang. From World War I on a “Jeep” was an unproven piece of military hardware, human or mechanical. in civvy parliance of the ’30s, a “Jeep” was something extraordinary and able to do anything, just like Eugene.

Unread 01-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #182
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Also there was speculation of it coming from the general purpose term used as well. I will stick Eugene the Jeep being it fits Jeep the best.
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #183
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Indeed! Eugene the jeep. You learn something new every day.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #184
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeppers.
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #185
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My winch came in today! My roomates think I have a serious illness after how excited I got. I told them its true.

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #186
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So, I opened my winch this morning (excuse the pajamas and just out of the shower hair) and found a delightful letter enclosed starting "Dear Sir" which made me laugh.

Because I had to wait for a week for it to ship they upgraded my winch for free. That's some customer intimacy. Long story short.... I now have a BEAUTIFUL 12,000lb winch that I only paid $300 for.

Hopefully garage space is still available this weekend and I can get it all done and set up in one shot. Hope everyone has a phenomenal Friday!
w2.jpg   w1.jpg  

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #187
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thats good to hear. Every once in a while you will find a company that makes good.
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #188
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok, the spraypaint adventure begins at 3. Im so freakin excited. Wish me luck! Im going to have my beautiful shop hand with me, we shall have a blast.

Unread 01-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #189
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got the bumper painted tonight! Its drying in the garage overnight, putting it on in the morning!

Unread 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #190
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The bumper is all set after some minor technical difficulties. Here is a teaser shot until I get the better ones to a computer.

forumrunner_20130113_185557.jpg

Unread 01-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #191
BRay

Hi just found your thread. Good choice on bumpers. Hope your hands have healed up by now.

Last edited by BRay; 01-14-2013 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: I can't spell
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #192
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRay View Post
Hi just tea your thread. Good choice on bumpers. Hope your hands have healed up by now.
Well thank you! They have healed perfectly. Doubt ill even have a scar. More pictures and write-up about the bumper escapades coming as soon as I get to a real computer.

Unread 01-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #193
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So- I took an old disposable camera on the trip up to New Hampshire as well as the bumper escapades this weekend. I was so excited to get them developed- but was devastated when the expected happened and more than half were corrupted. Especially since there were a few good shots of me and my lovely shop hand Liz working on the bumper.

So- brought to you by the 90's version of Instagram: Expired disposable cameras.... here are the lucky ones that made it.
84350006.jpg   84350007.jpg   84350018.jpg   84350026.jpg  

Unread 01-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #194
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Bahahahahah. Sig worthy. And I need a shop hand other than my old sweaty hands and a mentor. As for the patriots, well I'm not going there again, Ravens will do the talking for me.

Bumper looks good, what did you end up using?
Shop hand is definitely handy. My best friend liz (as seen above in my hopefully ironic wal-mart parking lot photo) is always good to have around. Not because she is handy when it comes to cars, mostly because she keeps the mood light. Its hard to throw a hammer in a fit of rage when you have someone as adorable as that dancing around to the radio.

As for football- we are still 6-0 in the division.

Lastly; the actual bumper. I ended up priming it with my buddies primer- mostly for an excuse to use the compressed air paint gun. I wound up doing 2 coats of rustoleum hammered black.

Unread 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #195
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok, so now that I have a second to breathe: as promised, write-up of bumper escapades.

Like I mentioned before I ended up going with the Rustoleum Hammered Black spray paint. Like I was afraid of after seeing a few other people use it is isn't really black. More like an off gray. However, I am actually really happy with it - it matches the carbon-fiber like pattern that is on the winch. The texture is nice and I think it looks sharp.

While I was waiting between coats I ended up helping my buddy strip and repaint a hood for a john deer tractor. He had a lot of trouble getting the decals off. Much to my surprise, working as an intern in a tape factory paid off! I had hundreds of hours of experience scraping different adhesives of metal. Hah! Something I can actually help on. To my dismay- under the vinyl layer of the decal was a 0.5mil film of PET which held a very thick layer of an acrylic adhesive. A.k.a. most evil combination ever. The only way to remove this stuff without damaging the surface underneath is to grab a nasty compatible solvent (gotta love Prop-65 telling you everything is carcinogenic. Makes the stuff that's really bad for you not seem too far out of the ordinary) and scrape for 0.75 seconds at a time until the razor blade gums up. Needless to say, after about 15 minutes of that we just sanded the entire thing down. But still! I felt knowledgeable!

As you can imagine, the suspense was killing me Saturday night while I was laying in bed knowing that my bumper was drying and my winch was sitting on the table ready to be hooked up. First thing Sunday I headed up and we got the bumper mounted. Minor technical difficulties with the winch, the instructions did not mention that it needed to be grounded to a particular location or it wouldn't work. Then all of the cable got spooled out accidentally because it wasn't locked completely back down. We attached it even stronger then tested it out by dragging my buddies big *** truck down the driveway. The winch operates pretty darn fast compared to what I have seen. Pulling the truck pulled my suspension down to the bump stops- but the winch didn't even hesitate. I'm happy.

Aside from the obvious added functionality a winch provides, and the way it makes me smile every time I look at Alice- there was another positive that I found with this new set-up. The weight. I have no clue exactly how much weight I put on her, but I am estimating it to be around an extra 120lbs in the front. First the bad news- my MPG took a hit. Like a big one. I am shifting noticeably later in the game. However I could care less. It handles so much better now. Since I went with the Bilstein shocks, they were really up for that extra weight and now it rides much smoother. The extra weight lower than the center of gravity reduced my newly-gained body roll with the antirock significantly. Liz- my go-to outside opinion on the way my jeep behaves claims she now feels "safe as f*ck" in it. Ill take that as a win.

Overall, I am entirely thrilled with the new front end. Fantastic investment. I was so excited knowing that Liz got a few awesome shots of me getting it all done- but I was of course banking on the analog counterpart to the ever-handy camera phone, and none of them came out. Alas- this was the only action shot that survived. That's right, I can make safety glasses sexy. Kinda. So, I hope everyone likes what I have done so far and I welcome any constructive criticism or comments.
garage.jpg  

Tags
2005 , currie , rubicon , sahara , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.