Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 127 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #1891
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonaldBigJ View Post
Get some 55watt kc apollo pro lights and be done with it......good output.....good pattern....reasonably priced.....plug n play and they wont tax your alternator or battery.
Plug and play does sound enticing....

[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #1892
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok - well I certainly won't have time to go through and re-torque everything today. As it is I am just taking an 11th hour break at work.... that fairly obnoxious problem at work a couple weeks ago has snowballed out of control in a glorious "I told you so" story that is also very tragic, frustrating and expensive.

However... I was taking a good long look at my suspension to see if I could see any points of contact where something has a clearance issue. Now this... I guess we will say non-conformance has been scratching at the back of my mind since the lift was installed but I never put too much thought into it.

I realize that I need a much better photo-managing system and index because I just spent about 10 minutes looking for a good demonstration picture.... however

If you would direct yourself to the "how Alice sits now" picture on the front page.... its moderately evident that my control arms don't sit straight. This is in the front and entirely separate from the pinion angle issue which is very soon to be fixed. It appears that the Johnny Joints are not at a resting state that is parallel to the ground. The joints seems to be tilted in as a result of what appears to be stock brackets that are much larger than needed for the Curry CAs.

I will be going through adjusting the pinion angle and greasing and re-torquing everything later this week.... but I cant help but wonder if it is supposed to be like that. Anyone have any input for this very long-winded question? (sorry my brain isn't exactly working very concise and efficient - its been a day)

Unread 06-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #1893
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
If you would direct yourself to the "how Alice sits now" picture on the front page.... its moderately evident that my control arms don't sit straight. This is in the front and entirely separate from the pinion angle issue which is very soon to be fixed. It appears that the Johnny Joints are not at a resting state that is parallel to the ground. The joints seems to be tilted in as a result of what appears to be stock brackets that are much larger than needed for the Curry CAs
Not seeing the picture in question, but the joints your talking about wouldn't happen to be the front lowers would they? Or is it all of them?

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #1894
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
Not seeing the picture in question, but the joints your talking about wouldn't happen to be the front lowers would they? Or is it all of them?
Its most evident in the front lowers. I do think they are all a tad off-kilter. I will examine better and take better pictures tomorrow morning when its not so very moist out.

Unread 06-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #1895
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Its most evident in the front lowers. I do think they are all a tad off-kilter. I will examine better and take better pictures tomorrow morning when its not so very moist out.
Johnny Joints don't automatically re-center themselves; you may have an arm or two that decides it wants to rest a bit off-kilter, as a result.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #1896
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

Johnny Joints don't automatically re-center themselves; you may have an arm or two that decides it wants to rest a bit off-kilter, as a result.
What if its more than a tad off kilter. Like distractingly off-center. Is there any harm that could do?

Unread 06-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #1897
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What if its more than a tad off kilter. Like distractingly off-center. Is there any harm that could do?
The arm can only rotate as far as the the joints allow, and the preload between the centering ball and the bushing keeps them in whatever orientation their last movement lefts them. There's no damage being done...they're just resting wherever your suspension happened to leave them. If you want the arms to re-center you can use DuroFlex bushings, which will keep everything nice and level by way of their utilizing rubber instead of urethane in the bushing; I'll be happy to take the Currie stuff off your hands to help fund the purchase.

Unread 06-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #1898
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The arm can only rotate as far as the the joints allow, and the preload between the centering ball and the bushing keeps them in whatever orientation their last movement lefts them. There's no damage being done...they're just resting wherever your suspension happened to leave them. If you want the arms to re-center you can use DuroFlex bushings, which will keep everything nice and level by way of their utilizing rubber instead of urethane in the bushing; I'll be happy to take the Currie stuff off your hands to help fund the purchase.
Good enough for me. I think I'll stick with mine... they have grown on me, ya know? I just want to be sure that they aren't being stressed. But you Sir, have to make arrangements with me to get you your R&D equipment over to the labs. I am intrigued.

Unread 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #1899
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Good enough for me. I think I'll stick with mine... they have grown on me, ya know? I just want to be sure that they aren't being stressed. But you Sir, have to make arrangements with me to get you your R&D equipment over to the labs. I am intrigued.
They're not being stressed at all; they just do that from time to time. I'll get some information to you on how to make the R&D materials show up in my end of the world. You're right to be intrigued; I haven't told you the half of how much fun that particular project is going to be.

Unread 06-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #1900
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
I also present... my evil shoulder hench-kitty - Bear, a.k.a. Jack Jr. He doesn't like being held at ALL. In fact - he re-inforces my theory that cats are, in fact a liquid state of matter. However, he has taken a liking to sitting on my shoulder while I walk around the house. Except when the dog is around... then he perches atop my head.

evil mr. kittah !

Been reading your thread and enjoying it.

Would it be ok if I asked you a chemical question?
2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #1901
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndhandWJman View Post

evil mr. kittah !

Been reading your thread and enjoying it.

Would it be ok if I asked you a chemical question?
Of course. I am an open book.

Unread 06-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #1902
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Of course. I am an open book.
WMDs. How do I build one?
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #1903
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Washing Machine Drains? Those aren't hard to build, at all...they're just like any other drain.

Unread 06-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #1904
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Hire a chemical engineer

Quote:
Washing Machine Drains? Those aren't hard to build, at all...they're just like any other drain.

perfect.

Unread 06-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #1905
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Pretty sure the NSA is now monitoring this thread . Looks like I am heading to Ct for work , I think I sense trouble .

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.