Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #166
Bluesdude
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Right- so I didnt end up ordering anything else for the jeep this month or doing my bumper this weekend. Spontaneous road trip won.

Today however, after work I am going to go to the store- pick up a space heater or two for the garage and my paint. I have officially decided to go with a solid black. I still really enjoy the idea of the silver tube, but it would actually blend in a bit with the grill and not stick out as well. So, perhaps I will enlist the artistic talents of my roommate and incorporate a little design on it to make it mine.
I think you will be happier in the long run going all black on the bumper. Have you figured out a finish? I would stay away from gloss.

Bluesdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #167
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdude View Post

I think you will be happier in the long run going all black on the bumper. Have you figured out a finish? I would stay away from gloss.
I havent quite. Ill probably go with a black matte epoxy, but im thinking to spraypaint an insignia on it with silver paint then throw a clear coat to finish it up. Still waiting to hear from a friend if I can borrow a space heater before I go buy one.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #168
AngryTJ
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just remember the surface temp of the bumper is what you want to check before painting. Even if the room your painting in is warm the bumper itself has to not be too cold.

Tarantula_TJ Build

2015 Colorado Trip
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #169
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Just remember the surface temp of the bumper is what you want to check before painting. Even if the room your painting in is warm the bumper itself has to not be too cold.
Absolutely. I may not have a lot of technical experience but being an engineer has its perks. Given the current and desired temp I could tell you how long it would take and model the temperature profile throughout the bumper. Or... Ill probably just leave the bumper inside until im ready and be glad I dont have to do math like that on a daily basis anymore. I could even borrow an ir gun from work to make sure I maintain the temp.

Unread 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #170
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great to see a chic enjoying our obsession! Looks like the addiction has claimed another soul.
Unread 01-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #171
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedlou View Post
Great to see a chic enjoying our obsession! Looks like the addiction has claimed another soul.
Glad to be welcome! My soul and savings account are long gone. I dont expect them to come back anytime soon.

Unread 01-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #172
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Speaking of which-

I had a few extra minutes and decided to start an excel spreadsheet to keep track of my expenses and maintenance for Alice. To date- I have spent $4,001 on upgrades. I am not the least bit sad to see that money go.

Unread 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #173
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Believe me, you really don't want to keep up with how much you spend on her. It will quickly make you depressed.
Unread 01-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #174
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedlou View Post
Believe me, you really don't want to keep up with how much you spend on her. It will quickly make you depressed.
I think of it as a wise investment in my happiness

Plus, I didn't work my *** off to put myself through a brutal college program just to be a slave to bills. I have earned it. Life is good, but its also short.

Unread 01-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #175
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Remember that paint fumes and space heaters don't play well together! Be careful when you do this and ventilate. You might consider just primering the bumper for now and waiting until warmer weather to finish coat it.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:15 AM   #176
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
Remember that paint fumes and space heaters don't play well together! Be careful when you do this and ventilate. You might consider just primering the bumper for now and waiting until warmer weather to finish coat it.
I have had that on my mind. My original thought is to wait for this weekend when it will be close to 50. Heat the garage up, cut the heat, ventilate and get a coat on it.

Im really not terribly fond of the idea of waiting another couple months. Patience is one thing I have a hereditary lack of unfortunately. But I will if I have to.

Unread 01-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #177
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Im waiting to see if one of my buddies has a heated air garage bay open this weekend. Fingers crossed, it would make life much easier for me. Plus, the winch still hasnt shipped. I keep telling myself to be patient... Its not working well.

Unread 01-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #178
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
I think of it as a wise investment in my happiness

Plus, I didn't work my *** off to put myself through a brutal college program just to be a slave to bills. I have earned it. Life is good, but its also short.
I know thats right. I have spent right around 10,000 in mods to mine. Shoot 2,000 of it was just my 4.56 gears. You know what Jeeps stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #179
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjeep05 View Post
I know thats right. I have spent right around 10,000 in mods to mine. Shoot 2,000 of it was just my 4.56 gears. You know what Jeeps stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.
Im ready for it. Although, I am setting a bit aside for that bike come spring.

Unread 01-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #180
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So my roomate/landlord/coworker/friend told me an interesting and whimsical story today. Does anyone know where the name jeep came from?

Tags
2005 , currie , rubicon , sahara , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.