Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #151
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sick love that bumper, great choice!

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #152
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok- so question.

Now that I have my fantastic bumper I have to figure out the best way to go about finishing it. I will do some research, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out and point me in the right direction.

A) Do I have to sand it down- if so... any particular method or grit?
B) Do I have to prime it- if so, any recommendations on a good primer?
C) Still debating between a matte, gloss and hammered finish on the body. Please help
D) I think I am still going to ATTEMPT to make the grill guard a shiny finish. Not quite chrome- but like a stainless steel color. Any recommendations on how to accomplish this?
E) Best way to do this since it has been about 5F all week? I have access to a heated garage- but its 40 miles away and it wouldn't be economical to keep going there for multiple coats ect. I was wondering how efficient a small heater would be in my garage- if it would keep it warm enough to finish.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #153
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
Sick love that bumper, great choice!
Thank you! I am so freakin excited about it! I cant wait to get out of work so I can go look at it again.

Unread 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #154
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Stainless might look good but, I would go with a matte black or the powder coat if you want the texture. Its much easier to keep clean as well not to mention it would make you color pop. Thats just me though. The bumper looks badass by the way.
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #155
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjeep05 View Post
Stainless might look good but, I would go with a matte black or the powder coat if you want the texture. Its much easier to keep clean as well not to mention it would make you color pop. Thats just me though. The bumper looks badass by the way.
I was wondering how a textured black for the bumper body with a smooth silver just on the tube would look and work out. I think im going to give it a shot and just do solid black if it doesnt look good.

Thank you, it is 13F out right now and I keep going outside to look at it. Money damn well spent.

Unread 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #156
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When I finish any raw steel I use a scotch brite to scuff the surface , then hammerite paint as it is made to go directly onto raw metal . Most other paints will require primer ,
sanding and then the finish coat . It all depends on how smooth of a finish you want .
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #157
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

This is Rust Oleum hammered black over raw steel .

And I saw this in Facebook and I thought it was appropiate for your thread . My wife likes to drive my LJ because she gets so much attention .
Little does she know thats why I hide the keys ...
jeeps-girls.jpg  
Unread 01-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #158
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
This is Rust Oleum hammered black over raw steel .

And I saw this in Facebook and I thought it was appropiate for your thread . My wife likes to drive my LJ because she gets so much attention .
Little does she know thats why I hide the keys ...
So all of your tubework has the hammered black as well? It does look fantastic, though not very black.

Also, that picture holds so much truth. Its wonderful.

Unread 01-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #159
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys all so much for your help. I have decided! This weekend... I am getting a couple space heaters, closing off the garage and getting this done.

Im going to make an attempt to see how the tube comes out with a glossy un-textured silver color and I am going to do the rest in a textured black. It will come out perfect and I will NOT have to sand it down and do it all over again.

Unread 01-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #160
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Alright... so I just took a peek at my finances and it turns out I have some money burning a hole in my pocket.

I could be responsible and save it for a down-payment on my Harley, or pay student loans or save it for vacation....

OR... I could buy a few things that I have been wanting. So- here's my wish list. Anyone care to convince me of what and what not to buy?

Grab bars so my dearest tiny friend doesn't have to pole vault into the Jeep when I remove the nerf bars.

Seat covers... well because I have always had a bad habit of spilling coffee

Auxiliary lights - because I have the option for them on my bumper. I am still debating between PIAA and KC, but I think I am going to go with driving lights on the grill guard and fog lights on the sides. Wise choice?

Rock sliders - because my nerf bars are pieces of **** (although they did save my *** that one time. Shhh...) and I want them to be gone. Plus, more protection and another way to get into the jeep for my adorable best friend.

Floor mats! Because for some reason I track way more snow into this than my old car, and it ends up melting and freezing to the floor and that simply cant be good.

I can probably get one or more of these things. Thinking to spend about $300 today. Any additions to my wish list I should be thinking about?

Unread 01-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #161
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rock sliders are a mandatory piece of the puzzle! Get it done before you ding up your tub. Loose the nerfs! And just my opinion on the bumper color...
I don't think the silver will work well with your jeeps paint color, black however looks awesome with it. Another thing to think about is touch ups, I've probably re-painted my front bumper 5 times now and while I am fairly meticulous
having to touch up multiple colors can be a drag. Either way you go though, with your level of enthusiasm, it's going to be awesome! Keep up the good work.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #162
Smeg
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
matte would look sweet...try this stuff

You can grab it at advanced auto and its very durable. I use it for everything
Great stuff. What I used on my bumper.
Unread 01-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #163
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Rock sliders are a mandatory piece of the puzzle! Get it done before you ding up your tub. Loose the nerfs! And just my opinion on the bumper color...
I don't think the silver will work well with your jeeps paint color, black however looks awesome with it. Another thing to think about is touch ups, I've probably re-painted my front bumper 5 times now and while I am fairly meticulous
having to touch up multiple colors can be a drag. Either way you go though, with your level of enthusiasm, it's going to be awesome! Keep up the good work.
Interesting take. Silver does go well with it. Even though I am ditching the nerf bars and tube bumpers I am keeping the chrome grill since it is unique to the limited edition.

Below is a picture of kind of the look that I am trying to go for. The winch is black, and almost everything else will be black... but the silver on the grill, tube and shackles might look pretty darn sharp. It would be a PITA to touch up... but if I am putting all of this work into it - might as well be awesome.

Also- I think I have decided that I will save my money for now and just get the grab bars and floor liners. Rock sliders are definitely a must- but I don't plan to do a whole lot of wheeling in the next couple months so the nerfs will do for now. I think.
example.jpg  

Unread 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #164
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good evening! So, me and my best friend decided to kidnap my boyfriend and go on an adventure. After all, ive had Alice for 5 months or so now and we haven't been on a mystery road trip yet.

So - we found a ton of old cds, loaded up on junk food and hit the roads. We ended up staying overnight in Portsmoth, nh and having a grand time. Even saw the american stonehenge! More pictures to follow later on. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

img958624.jpeg

img954085.jpeg

Unread 01-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #165
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Right- so I didnt end up ordering anything else for the jeep this month or doing my bumper this weekend. Spontaneous road trip won.

Today however, after work I am going to go to the store- pick up a space heater or two for the garage and my paint. I have officially decided to go with a solid black. I still really enjoy the idea of the silver tube, but it would actually blend in a bit with the grill and not stick out as well. So, perhaps I will enlist the artistic talents of my roommate and incorporate a little design on it to make it mine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.