Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 107 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #1591
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I mean, you could always pick up a spare 33" tire on craigslist cheap. Since its not mounted on the Jeep anyways and only thrown in for trips, who cares if its a matching brand, tread pattern or if it has perfect wear etc.

Obviously theres people on both sides here but I did some searching on the subject and a lot of people say they dont bother anymore cause they havnt had a flat in 10, 15, 20 + years and then if you do get a flat, on the road, you can use a plug and repair kit or that slime stuff or call AAA

98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #1592
H3lzsn1p3r

just remember to keep the spare with you when you are down to 1/4 tread left anything can happen
H3lzsn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #1593
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Exactly. There's no reason to carry the weight if you don't need to do so... and if you do need it, the weight is in a smart location.
Exactly - I am still taking the same stance you leaned me towards with your logic and reason a few months back. It definitely makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I mean, you could always pick up a spare 33" tire on craigslist cheap. Since its not mounted on the Jeep anyways and only thrown in for trips, who cares if its a matching brand, tread pattern or if it has perfect wear etc.

Obviously theres people on both sides here but I did some searching on the subject and a lot of people say they dont bother anymore cause they havnt had a flat in 10, 15, 20 + years and then if you do get a flat, on the road, you can use a plug and repair kit or that slime stuff or call AAA
I could pick up a cheap spare. But exactly to your point - I have never had a need to use a spare in my history of driving. Why carry one 100% of the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
just remember to keep the spare with you when you are down to 1/4 tread left anything can happen
Hopefully by the time I get down to that I will have a set of 37"s picked out. Plus - if the spare is in a similar condition as the tires that were on it when I picked it up there is likely next to no tred on them. However- I highly doubt the PO kept a 5- tire rotation system. Either way... the point is statistically I don't see a need to carry a fully functional spare all the time.

I am getting REALLY jealous of Andy's progress cleaning up his Jeep. Makes me want to tear Alice down and get very intimate with her and a wire brush. Maybe I will start doing it piece-by-piece starting this summer. Either way.... Ill get there.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #1594
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post

Yeah- and I doubt that cover would fit a 33. I might be able to recoop a bit of money for a pair of KCs or PIAAs by selling it.

Well- this spare isn't entirely useless. In a pinch I could throw it on the front until I got to a place to get another 33. I just don't see the point in buying another 33" tire if I am likely moving up to big girl tires next spring.

My plan was to not run with a spare at all unless I am on a trail run with a club that requires it and then I will throw the 31" in the back. I am not even concerned with people recognizing it as the sahara rubi - I just think that the tire carrier is pretty distinguished and I do like the look of it. Still so on the fence

Ok- that makes a bit more sense now. Thank you!

Spare gets hit- wrecks tailgate..... saves awesome new bumper possibly and gives me an excuse to go drop down?
That's how it's working for me, new beefy bumper, drop down tailgate, toss spare in back (properly secured).

Sent from my SPH-D710 using JeepForum
tdavid14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #1595
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am getting REALLY jealous of Andy's progress cleaning up his Jeep. Makes me want to tear Alice down and get very intimate with her and a wire brush. Maybe I will start doing it piece-by-piece starting this summer. Either way.... Ill get there.
If your not busy this weekend your more than welcome to stop by and you can get started. There should be plenty of beer and BBQ this weekend.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #1596
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The amount of miles you drive, as soon as you take off the spare and leave it home, you will need it.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #1597
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Its only one size too small and as long as its mounted in the front and I'm not in 4wd there wouldn't be an issue getting anywhere to buy a tire.

I just don't see much personal value to buying a full sized spare now when I will be buying 5 tires and rims next year. Statistically speaking- I am just as likely to break down as a result of a number of other parts that I don't keep spares of.

Yeah- I really think this is the way that I will be leaning. Ill keep putting some thought into it throughout the week though.
Dibs Stock Wheels!
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #1598
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
If your not busy this weekend your more than welcome to stop by and you can get started. There should be plenty of beer and BBQ this weekend.
Sweet. I will actually be down in Old Saybrook Saturday morning - stripers are running. I should be free in the afternoon - especially if there is beer and BBQ involved. Also Jack. Because he is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
The amount of miles you drive, as soon as you take off the spare and leave it home, you will need it.
True- while I don't drive nearly as much now I think I still average out about 400 miles in a week. This definitely requires thought - but I am still leaning towards statistics being on my side outweighing bad luck being on my side.

Unread 05-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #1599
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sweet. I will actually be down in Old Saybrook Saturday morning - stripers are running.
You just reminded me, I need to go dig out my fishing gear so I can go fishing.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #1600
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tried taking off the doors today. They have never been taken off me thinks. Going to need a jack and an extra set of muscles for this task.

Did get the stock soft top completely off. Surprisingly easy for once - t-30 and a hammer.

Nerf bars off next I hope

Unread 05-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #1601
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Tried taking off the doors today. They have never been taken off me thinks. Going to need a jack and an extra set of muscles for this task.

Did get the stock soft top completely off. Surprisingly easy for once - t-30 and a hammer.

DO NOT jack the doors off (Phrasing, I know). Spray some wd40 or some pb into the hinges and pull up on the door frame as you swing it back and forth. this will work the doors up out of the hinges without breaking anything
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #1602
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
DO NOT jack the doors off (Phrasing, I know). Spray some wd40 or some pb into the hinges and pull up on the door frame as you swing it back and forth. this will work the doors up out of the hinges without breaking anything
Instead, use the PB and a 2x4 as leverage.
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #1603
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
You just reminded me, I need to go dig out my fishing gear so I can go fishing.
Yep- you certainly do. Looks like I will be boating/fishing both days this weekend. Here's to sunburns, hangovers and hopefully a delicious fish dinner.

Andy- this means that I will be down in your neck of the woods Sunday afternoon versus Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Dibs Stock Wheels!
I will have to see if I can get a decent return price on them since I believe they are the rare 16" moab wheels that came with the Sahara edition. If my stock wheels can get me a decent upgrade I am all for it - if not you are welcome to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
Jack is my absolute last resort shy of cutting off the bolts and getting new ones. Don't fret- I plan to do my due diligence. I will spray them down with PB twice a day until this weekend. Hopefully then with an extra set of hands I can break them free from their rusty immobile hell. It is definitely clear that they have never been off.

I am actually suspecting that the PO attempted starting on the passenger side - snapped the nut from the bolt entirely and gave up.

Since the doors couldn't come off I still wanted to be productive. I was planning on cracking a Heady Topper which my room mate was gracious enough to grab me an extra when he picked up a case in VT - and getting that beautiful rear bumper on.

Instead I ended up taking off the soft top frame since there isn't much rain in the forecast. I am probably going to open up the new soft top today and give it a try after work.

Lastly- and highly relevant (at least to my work life right now) piece of advice for the day... "Remember when you point a finger that three are always pointing back at you. "

forumrunner_20130502_070751.jpg

forumrunner_20130502_070757.jpg

Unread 05-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #1604
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well now that one problem has been fixed - of course another one has cropped up.

Jeep won't start. It ran fine yesterday other than a barely noticeably rougher idle. No engine light, no error codes on the key trick.

Came home for lunch, went to go back to work and it wont start. Ignition turns over but it just won't catch. It behaves exactly like it did when the fuel pump went - except the fuel pump is new so I was hoping it wasn't that.

Crawled underneath and looked under the hood. There is a moist substance over the majority of the engine (see dark areas in s***** picture), battery and a liquid is leaking down and off the tranny. I know its not anything environmental because it hasn't rained here in a while.

From what I gather it is likely a head gasket. I still need to do a hell of a lot more research to find out if that is it and why it happened. I have no idea if I will try to fix it myself, tow it 40 minutes north to my buddies place or put it in a shop.

I am entirely disheartened right now. I know its a Jeep - and I know its an older Jeep, but I haven't gone more than 2 months without a problem on her in a while. I feel terrible - one should never be this attached to a simple vehicle, but I am.

Any advice or attempts at a cheer-up would be greatly appreciated.

forumrunner_20130502_141739.jpg

Unread 05-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #1605
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Clean that engine bay, stat.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2005 , currie , rubicon , sahara , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.