Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process" - Page 106 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kate's '05 Unlimited Rubi "learning process"

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #1576
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
I don't remember 100% but the rear has adjustable caster right?
Driveshaft? I know its not a solid piece - there is a boot over a middle section and I have no idea what it looks like underneath it.

[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #1577
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post

Driveshaft? I know its not a solid piece - there is a boot over a middle section and I have no idea what it looks like underneath it.
What I think he meant was the axle has adjustable caster to change your pinion angle, but that is only true if you use cam bolts (and also only applicable to front axles) or have adjustable control arms. To my knowledge, you have neither. Maybe it's time to place an order with Savvy....
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #1578
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
What I think he meant was the axle has adjustable caster to change your pinion angle, but that is only true if you use cam bolts (and also only applicable to front axles) or have adjustable control arms. To my knowledge, you have neither. Maybe it's time to place an order with Savvy....
I think she has a full set of savvy arms.... post photo of pinion angle Kate. I doubt you have any issues though.
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #1579
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I think she has a full set of savvy arms.... post photo of pinion angle Kate. I doubt you have any issues though.
She has a Currie 4" lift.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=1067

But yes, a photo would be good.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #1580
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Yes- I do. Ill get a picture of the pinion with Lizs camera this evening when I go up to see her. What I gather from this is even if I DO have an issue with the pinion angle it can be easily adjusted with the CAs?

In other news- had a productive lunch break today. FINALLY got that unsightly hunk of chromed s*** off the back of Alice. Took almost 40 minutes and some interesting engineering since the bolts were so seized.

Finally got the thing off and I did what I have always wanted to do. Take a hammer to the b****! Not surprising at all.... turns out the actual bumper itself was 100% rust. The only thing left was the chrome plating. I reached in the bumper and grabbed a decent sized chunk of the bumper and it instantly turned to dust.

I feel pretty productive- the new bumper will probably go on tomorrow. However- after work. I have no made my entire office smell like PB blast even though I have washed up like 3 times AND changed my clothes. Stuff is persistent.

I am thinking about taking the spare off though. I have been debating it for a while.

Cons: 31" tire, extra weight
Pros: Looks pretty cool, identifies Alice as a limited edition, extra protection in the event of a rear-end collision\

Thoughts?

forumrunner_20130429_132548.jpg

forumrunner_20130429_132604.jpg

forumrunner_20130429_132616.jpg

Unread 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #1581
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I like the cover, but I wouldn't keep it on there with the 31.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #1582
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Remove the cover and put a full size spare on. There is no point in carrying a tiny, useless spare. The ones that would notice are the ones that will still notice that it is a sahara rubi.
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #1583
H3lzsn1p3r

Quote:
caster on a solid axle is basically pinion angle on the rear axle and adjustable caster is if the control arms are adjustable
H3lzsn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #1584
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Spare gets hit, wrecks tailgate.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using JeepForum
tdavid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #1585
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
I like the cover, but I wouldn't keep it on there with the 31.
Yeah- and I doubt that cover would fit a 33. I might be able to recoop a bit of money for a pair of KCs or PIAAs by selling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Remove the cover and put a full size spare on. There is no point in carrying a tiny, useless spare. The ones that would notice are the ones that will still notice that it is a sahara rubi.
Well- this spare isn't entirely useless. In a pinch I could throw it on the front until I got to a place to get another 33. I just don't see the point in buying another 33" tire if I am likely moving up to big girl tires next spring.

My plan was to not run with a spare at all unless I am on a trail run with a club that requires it and then I will throw the 31" in the back. I am not even concerned with people recognizing it as the sahara rubi - I just think that the tire carrier is pretty distinguished and I do like the look of it. Still so on the fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
caster on a solid axle is basically pinion angle on the rear axle and adjustable caster is if the control arms are adjustable
Ok- that makes a bit more sense now. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavid14 View Post
Spare gets hit, wrecks tailgate.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using JeepForum
Spare gets hit- wrecks tailgate..... saves awesome new bumper possibly and gives me an excuse to go drop down?

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:30 AM   #1586
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Speaking of all this spare cover talk.... I now have this fully formulated idea for unity for Alice and the impending bike that I have been mulling over for a while.

My room mate has designed a Native American deer lady tattoo for me that is going on my calf very soon. The Harley I am looking at is yellow and I would very much like it not to be - so I would contract her to paint it. What better on a Harley than a custom Native American deer lady on the gas tank.

In addition - I plan to get this as a tattoo down the line as well. Frankly- I think it would look pretty freakin awesome as an image on a tire cover should I plan to carry a spare 37" on the back. Which I probably won't do... but still a kind of cool idea.
chem.jpg

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #1587
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would roll with a full size spare that way if you are out of town and you have a blowout or flat you don't have worry about it being dangerous having a tire a few sizes to small to drive a good distance. It might be a little extra weight but, you won't see the savings.
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #1588
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

My plan was to not run with a spare at all unless I am on a trail run with a club that requires it and then I will throw the 31" in the back. I am not even concerned with people recognizing it as the sahara rubi
This

I only throw the spare in the back if Im going on a wheeling trip with the whole club and if we're going somewhere more challenging. I always have my tire plug and repair kit on me though.
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #1589
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjeep05 View Post
I would roll with a full size spare that way if you are out of town and you have a blowout or flat you don't have worry about it being dangerous having a tire a few sizes to small to drive a good distance. It might be a little extra weight but, you won't see the savings.
Its only one size too small and as long as its mounted in the front and I'm not in 4wd there wouldn't be an issue getting anywhere to buy a tire.

I just don't see much personal value to buying a full sized spare now when I will be buying 5 tires and rims next year. Statistically speaking- I am just as likely to break down as a result of a number of other parts that I don't keep spares of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
This

I only throw the spare in the back if I'm going on a wheeling trip with the whole club and if we're going somewhere more challenging. I always have my tire plug and repair kit on me though.
Yeah- I really think this is the way that I will be leaning. Ill keep putting some thought into it throughout the week though.

Unread 04-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #1590
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post

I only throw the spare in the back if Im going on a wheeling trip with the whole club and if we're going somewhere more challenging. I always have my tire plug and repair kit on me though.
Exactly. There's no reason to carry the weight if you don't need to do so... and if you do need it, the weight is in a smart location.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.