Kansas Jeep YJ Sahara - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kansas Jeep YJ Sahara

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.comTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 01-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
HamHawk92
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Kansas Jeep YJ Sahara

I just bought a 1989 Jeep YJ Sahara 4.0 manual 95k original miles that has been in family since it was first bought from the Jeep dealer I now work at. I need some ideas on how to build this Jeep. It currently has a Rubicon Express 2.5 lift. Rhino lined interior and new fuel injection the motor. I'd love everyone's input. I am wanting to do 33 tires for sure.

img_3023.jpg

img_9727.jpg

img_8448.jpg

HamHawk92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHawk92
I just bought a 1989 Jeep YJ Sahara 4.0 manual 95k original miles that has been in family since it was first bought from the Jeep dealer I now work at. I need some ideas on how to build this Jeep. It currently has a Rubicon Express 2.5 lift. Rhino lined interior and new fuel injection the motor. I'd love everyone's input. I am wanting to do 33 tires for sure.
Nice sahara looks rust free, it's also nice that you know the history of it. As well the engine should be a 4.2 with the carb,, though it is still a great engine. As for lift I would either do the 2.5 re or ome. Good luck with the build.
98TJcomeonuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
LBJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

nice jeep, I would not go bigger then 33's with the 30/35 combo , 8.8 would be great . with a little trimming you may fit them with what you have..
Unread 01-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #4
HamHawk92
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
nice jeep, I would not go bigger then 33's with the 30/35 combo , 8.8 would be great . with a little trimming you may fit them with what you have..
Thanks man. Yes I'd like to keep axles stock for now thinking 4-4.5 lift prolly rc or re. Not sure if I need a body to fit 33 or if I need to do sye/drive shafts with that much I've read mixed reviews. Eventually I'd love to throw in a 8.8
Unread 01-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
LBJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

if you go 4.5 " you will need a sye and may have to shim the rear for your pinon angle , and thats a lot of lift for 33's..
Unread 01-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
HamHawk92
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
if you go 4.5 " you will need a sye and may have to shim the rear for your pinon angle , and thats a lot of lift for 33's..
What lift do you suggest? I already know ima invest in a Tom woods drive shaft
Unread 01-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good option is a 2.5 in. lift with a 1 in. MML and 1 or 1.25 in BL.
Unread 01-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Also if you're keeping stock axles and gears you might want to look at a 33x10.5 tire so it's lighter.
Unread 01-13-2015, 09:21 PM   #9
HamHawk92
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Makes sense I will have to look into that. I really want to do a 4-4 1/2 lift and maybe body to get full flex out of 33 tires
Unread 01-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
LBJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

you will just make your rig top heavy , 2.5 spring 1"BL 1"MML 33/10.5'S lock the rear and you will get in to and out of more places then you think you could. if you think you need more room you can always trim the body[good shackles will help too just DO NOT get long ones ]
Unread 01-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
HamHawk92
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
you will just make your rig top heavy , 2.5 spring 1"BL 1"MML 33/10.5'S lock the rear and you will get in to and out of more places then you think you could. if you think you need more room you can always trim the body[good shackles will help too just DO NOT get long ones ]
So your saying my 2.5 RE on it now will work just need to add a body lift and I will still get full flex out of it? I think I just want it to sit higher then 3.5 (with a potential body lift) with 33's. I see a ton of 4' with 1-2' bl that I really like but I wouldn't want it to be too top heavy. It seems everyone goes big haha.
Unread 01-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #12
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The thing with high lifts on such a short wheelbase is it will create a major strain on your driveshaft rear axle and t case. Keeping it lower with the 2.5 leafs and a 1 in. BL will be much easier on the drivetrain. As well if you lock the rear might wanna look at a truetrac or I think revolution gear and axle is coming back out with a super 35 kit.
Unread 01-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
HamHawk92
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'll have to look into that. I was going to invest in a new drive shaft and sye kit. But I would like to keep the same axles for now and possibly the gear ratio at least for now. 4- 41/2 isn't too big but I know will require sye and drive shaft. I'm trying hard to eliminate a body lift
Unread 01-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When you do a body it allows for options like a tummy tuck, which gives you more clearance with less lift and smaller tires. If your dead set on a 4" lift that's good just giving you some advice. I had a 4" on my old 98 tj, it was way to tall, rode terrible and drove even worse. I dropped it down to 2" and it was just right, stable on and offroad. It's just not fun doing thins 2,3, or 4 times over.
Unread 01-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #15
HamHawk92
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJcomeonuh View Post
When you do a body it allows for options like a tummy tuck, which gives you more clearance with less lift and smaller tires. If your dead set on a 4" lift that's good just giving you some advice. I had a 4" on my old 98 tj, it was way to tall, rode terrible and drove even worse. I dropped it down to 2" and it was just right, stable on and offroad. It's just not fun doing thins 2,3, or 4 times over.
Oh no I know and I appreciate it. Im going to keep the 2.5 now for a while invest in some diff covers, skids, rock rails, a bumper, few lights before I lift it more. But I may do a body lift now and see if I can fit 33 on it now. I may really enjoy it. Then I'd save a lot on not buying a new lift. Plus I don't think I'd have to do a new drive shaft or sye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.