Jwolfer's Rubi Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jwolfer's Rubi Build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jwolfer's Rubi Build

Let me just start this off saying my Jeep is being built on a college budget so bare with the progress. I will be starting active duty on 8 July so hopefully I will have more money to put into it but I will have less time due to starting pilot training on 2 Oct. I started this thread on wranglerforum so I will just copy and paste everything up to now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwolfer View Post
I got my 06 Rubi from my dad (the original owner) back in 2010 and it has been my daily driver since then. Over the past two years I have gotten more and more into off-roading. I am starting this thread to keep track of my progress.

The first time the I took the doors off (as close to a stock picture as I have).

Replaced the turn signal markers with clear ones.

Jugs off

First "mud" puddle

Bedlined the Fender Flares

Bed Lined the Headlight Bezels

Mounted a shovel and hatchet on my tailgate

Homemade quick discos

First time disconnected

2" BB installed

Flush mounted license plate

That's all I have done in the past couple of years so far. I plan to add a 1.25 BL, some 33"s, and a proper 2.5-4" SL in the near future along with some other things (bumpers, winch, etc, etc, etc). I like where my Jeep is going so far and I plan on making it my own as the money comes in!
Haven't updated this thread like I thought I would but my Jeep has come a long way since the last update. I have added a ZJ Tie Rod, Bilstein 5100s, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, and 33x12.50x15s. I also have a ton on new stuff coming (bumpers, sliders, tire carriers, lights, etc) so I will update this thread with pictures once I get them all installed. Here is how she sits as of today.

Last picture of the 31s. (got a hole in the sidewall on this trip that prompted the 33s)

Jwolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Recently I was approved for an auto loan to purchase my wife a car so I splurged a little since we got a good deal since we bought from a third party so the Jeep is starting to make bigger steps.

Here is what we got for the Mrs. It's an 08 WK with ~79000. Just a 3.7 V6 so it wasn't too expensive.

Next to the TJ

More copy & paste

Quote:
I went with JCR for all three. I will post pictures once they arrive. Here's an update for today.

Had a very busy and productive day today. I started out by installing my new filler hose which replaced my old hose that was too short after I added a 1.25" body lift and I also had the overflow issue. The new hose kinked a little after I installed it so I added a clamp around the kink and it works fine now. I tested it at the gas station and it stopped with no back splash.

When I got home the real fun began. As I was pulling into the driveway I saw the UPS van sitting in front of my house. He dropped off the first of two big shipments that I will be receiving in the next two days.

In the boxes were my Rampage frameless top and my Hi Lift Xtreme. I was very surprised at how easy of a time I had with the top after reading some horror stories. I think it helped that I had an OEM soft top and some bikini tops so I am used to the process. That or the fact that it was around 80 degrees :dance: It only took me about a half hour by myself. Overall I am very pleased with the top. I have yet to take it on the freeway however.

After installing the top I ran to home depot to get some hardware for a hi lift mount. I was able to make myself a rollbar mount with $9 of hardware. You can't even see the jack from behind the Jeep or from the passenger seat (unless you are looking for it).

The jack is in there in this picture.

Oh and last but not least, I hit a milestone today!

Overall I had a great day. The big order comes tomorrow so it should be a busy few days. :dance:
Quote:
Had another busy day today. It started with me picking up some half doors with uppers on craigslist for $275. They aren't perfect but I got a great deal on them.

After that I got bored waiting for UPS and FedEx to come so I installed my new interior LEDs (dash, feet, and dome). I meant to do the HVAC as well but I bought the wrong size, whoops.

Comparison

The deliveries still didn't arrive so I decided to start prepping for my new Or Fab tire carrier. I cleaned up the tailgate and got it all ready to go.

Before I cleaned it up.

Then I finally got a couple of deliveries!

I put on the Hi Jack isolator and then I started on the H4 headlight conversion.

Before low beams

Before high beams

After low

After high

Low beams again

High beams again

I am going to have to adjust them before I do any long time night driving. I don't want to blind my fellow drivers. Tomorrow I will be installing the OrFab carrier and if I have time the ARB compressor and a cruise control kit. We'll see how fast I can install the carrier.
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Day 3 of my Jeep's makeover. Today's task was installing my Or-Fab tire carrier/jerry can mount and cruise control. I started with the carrier because it is a bigger job. All in all it wasn't too difficult at all and once you get over the fact that you are drilling pretty big holes into your tub it isn't bad at all. I ran into a couple of issues that slowed me down a little bit. First off I couldn't get the OEM striker pin off of the OEM mount so I tried cutting it down to fit among other things with no luck. Not too expensive of a replacement part though so I'll just run to NAPA tomorrow. The second thing that slowed me down was they sent me the wrong hinge mount. Luckily I ordered the non can carrier as well on accident so I was able to dig through that box and get the correct one. Here are pictures of the trouble.

Holes don't line up.

The correct mount is on the right.

After I solved that issue it was pretty straight forward. Here are some more picutres from the install.

my "creative" way to support the Evap Canister without unplugging it all.

I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out why I couldn't get it to latch.

I love the look of the carrier. There has been quite an improvement in the past couple of days.
Quote:
Did the third brake light wiring on my new Or Fab carrier. It was my first time doing any type of electrical work so I was a little intimidated. It ended up not being bad at all though. I think it looks pretty clean actually.

I still have the ARB compressor and Hella Black Magic Driving Lights sitting waiting to be installed. In the mail are my front and rear bumpers, sliders, cruise control switches, and new LEDs.
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't kept up with this like I've wanted to so I'll just go ahead and add the last couple of things I did to finish Phase 1 for the Jeep.

Cruise Control Install

The first step was installing the switches. It isn't very hard but you have to remove the airbag so it is smart to unhook the battery just to be safe. After that you remove the two screws on the back of the wheel and it pops right out. Here are what the connections look like.
Upside Down steering wheel

Switches installed

From there you just mount the servo and run the lines.

Mounted servo

Vacuum line connected

Running the lines

Connected to the throttle

Plugged in

It works!

After I installed it (which only took about a half hour) I took it for a test drive on the freeway and it worked perfectly. Definitely the best $40 I have spent on the Jeep so far. It will make long trips much easier.

JCR Front/Rear Bumpers and Sliders

After Phase 1 was completed I put the Jeep to the test in Moab. I was happily surprised at the performance. We were able to do Fins N Things and Hells Revenge (the main trail at least) without using bypasses or lockers. I still hate the Budget Boost/Body Lift combo that I am sneaking by on still so I have my plan for Phase two made up.

Phase 2:
Metalcloak Control Arms
Metalcloak Adjustable Bumpstops
Metalcloak Front Trackbar
Metalcloack Rear Trackbar
Bilstein 5100s
Currie 4" Progressive Rate Springs
Currie Front Antirock
Tom Woods 1310 Rear Driveshaft
Savvy Gas Tank Skid
Savvy Tranny/Engine Skid

I will be ordering the Shocks and Track Bars soon. The control arms are going to hurt the wallet the worst so I won't be able to order them for a while. I start Pilot Training on 2 Oct so I don't even know how much time I'll really have for the whole Jeep thing for the next 14 months. I should be able to get the lift done within the next 3 months I hope.
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have spent the past week tearing apart my front axle to address a leaking inner axle seal. I did it over the course of a couple of days because I needed parts and tools pretty much every day that I didn't expect. I also took the time to flush all of my fluids since I have never done it (I got the Jeep from my dad in January of 2009) and I don't think the PO did either. I am almost to 50k so I know it was over due. I did both differentials (Valvoline 75w-120), the Transfer case (Valvoline ATF+4), the Transmission (Royal Purple Synchromax), and I had to add some brake fluid as well (after properly bleeding them first). Here's what I noticed that got me started on the project.

After finding this leak I started researching how to fix it and I have to say, I was pretty intimidated. I have done all of the work on the Jeep up to this point on my own but something about tearing apart the axle had me worried that I'd goof something up. Because of this I spent quite a bit of time researching and reading write ups multiple times to make sure I didn't do anything wrong to cause major damage to my Jeep. All in all it was actually a very easy process. I removed the axle shafts with the hub in tact because I didn't have a 36 mm socket and I didn't see the need to go through the trouble. I popped the carrier out of the differential by using the rag trick and it was very easy. If I had to do it again for whatever reason I could probably get everything taken apart and put together in about an hour and a half. After finally getting everything together and the fluids all done today I took it for a test drive and everything felt great. I even took it to a little offroading area we have here on base to test out 4x4 and the lockers and everything worked perfectly. It is a pretty good feeling knowing that I didn't break anything and I learned a lot from the experience. Thanks to everyone who gave tips and such to help me through the process.

I ordered and received my shocks a couple of weeks ago but I spent all of the Jeep fund from this paycheck on the fluids and tools to tackle this project. Hopefully I will be able to order more lift components in the near future. Here are some pictures from the process.

Passenger side axle tube

Driver side

Brown stuff all over my finger

Who needs chromoly shafts when there's PVC shafts readily available?

Shafts

Carrier back in

All back together with the freshly painted diff cover

I also had a 24 hr experiment with plastidip. Looks like painters tape. It was promptly peeled off.

As she sits now. It felt great to drive her again after not driving her for about a week.
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This past Tuesday I started the Jeep and I heard the Laughing Monkeys. Because I own an 06 I had done my fair share of research on the ODPA issue so luckily I knew that was a bad sign. I shut her down as soon as I heard it and I ordered a Dorman unit later that day. I thought I might not have any issues but I got the first warning signs of a bad ODPA at 49,565. I spent Friday afternoon removing the old ODPA and replacing it with the Dorman unit. I orignially used the sharpie method but I later used the TDC method to get it all timed up. I might have been timed up correctly with the sharpie method but I ended up having a dead battery so it wouldn't start either way. I took my battery and alternator to be tested at Auto Zone with odd results. The battery was at 7.5 Volts and the alternator tested good 3 times at 117 volts. I replaced the battery less than a month ago because the last one had died (it was only 4 months old too) so I still think there is an issue with the Alternator. I will most likely be doing the Durango swap after the wallet recovers from Xmas. Here are some pictures from the ODPA swap.

How she sat for a week

Old unit removed

Old unit wear

New unit

New unit installed

Running strong with no check engine codes.

Had some fun on the test drive.
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Spent today installing some Xmas presents from the Mrs. I got around to installing my Metal Cloak front & rear track bars and extended rear sway bar links. Here are some pictures

Sexy gold.

Unread 02-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had a productive day today working on the Jeep. First, I finally got around to painting my half doors I got about a year ago. They don't make midnight blue in a rattle can so I just went with the next closest option and I think it turned out great. It's not a perfect match but it is much closer than the forest green they were before. While the doors were drying I decided to drop the T-case skid and check for rust so I didn't have more work to do when I go to install the Savvy skid. Sure enough there was a ton of rust on my frame rails (the first 4 years of this Jeep's life were spent in the northeast). I sanded it down and cleaned it up the best I could and I hit it with rest preventing primer and some black rattle can. When I went to reinstall the skid I ran into some troubles. I have it on fine now but both center bolts are having issues. One is just spinning and the other won't go in all the way. Luckily they are just the center bolts so I can fix them later down the road when I figure out what I am going to do. In other news I ordered my Metal Cloak Control Arms so now I just have to order the springs and skid from savvy once the tax return gets in and I am set to go. The arms should get here Wednesday so I might just install them next weekend and I can adjust them later. Here are some pictures.

Taping up the doors.

Primed

All done!

With uppers

Rusted frame rail

Cleaned and painted skid.

Cleaned and painted frame.
Unread 02-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The doors came out great , nice work .
Unread 02-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
The doors came out great , nice work .
Thanks! I was worried it wouldn't be as close as they came out. Can't beat it for $30.
Unread 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This morning I installed a brand new Diehard Platinum 34/78DT. Hopefully this will be the last of my battery woes. Later in the day I couldn't help myself anymore so I went ahead and installed my new Metal Cloak lower control arms. I ordered my Currie springs and Savvy under armor so hopefully I can get everything installed over president's day weekend. The lowers were very easy to install so hopefully it won't take me too long to swap out the Uppers, shocks, and springs next weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the brake lines that are bolted ot the upper arms?

Pics:

Out with the old

In with the new

Test drive pic
Unread 02-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

About a year ago I put on a 2" budget boost and sadly I have been rocking it since then. That finally changed after today. I have been building up my collection of parts for a while now and today I finally replaced the suspension. I put on a set of 8 Metal Cloak Control Arms, 4" Currie Progressive springs, Bilstein 5100s, Currie Anti-rock, and front and rear Metal Cloak Track Bars. All in all gained 3" over my stock springs and BB all around. I took it for the first test drive and had no issues up to 40-45 mph with the stock rear drive shaft. Next weekend the Savvy Modular Under Armor comes so it gets even better!

Before

After

DS angle
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #13
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Spent today relocating my locker pumps and installing my new Savvy modular under armor. I didn't get the transmission mount exhaust hanger in the package from Savvy for some reason so I have a lot of noise from the exhaust hitting the skid and frame in places. I also removed the stock rear drive shaft because it was at a crazy angle. I emailed Tom Wood and Gerald at Savvy to get a new shaft and the hanger so hopefully it doesn't take too long to get everything in. Here are some pics. I love the outcome minus the issues of course.

New locker location

Flat Belly

Driveshaft angle

Here's a picture of me testing out my new suspension last week.
Unread 07-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My birthday was last weekend and I had some gift cards to spend so I went ahead and ordered Centric Rotors, Napa Premium pads, and a Rancho Steering Stab. I spent yesterday installing them all with my new air tools (thanks to the Mrs). Overall, everything looks and feels great. The next step will be getting my Savvy GTS and my exhaust corrected. Here are some pictures of yesterdays fun.

Before

After

New Steering Stab
Unread 08-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I blew out my clutch last weekend and today I installed my new Luk kit. It was a long process but I learned a ton about how it all works. The only issue I had was the Jeep is stuck in 4 Hi. The linkage looks right to me but it feels really lose when I try to shift it out of 4 Hi. Maybe this is a good excuse to just get a Novak shifter...

Pics.

What was left of the OEM clutch.

Tranny down

Something is missing here...

Old

New

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.