Jwinecoff00's LJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Jwinecoff00's LJ Build

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Jwinecoff00's LJ Build

I posted this up in General, but figured I might as well start a build thread.

Just sold my 2001 Dodge Cummins to a friend

It was a heck of a truck - 24V with 64mm turbo, Edge, FASS system, 200 HP injectors, full billet tranny, full stainless exhaust, etc, etc...

I had my fun blowing smoke on every Prius in sight, and embarrassing most Mustangs and wanna-be-fast Hondas. This truck was pretty quick, consistently running the 1/8 in 7-8 seconds. Anyways.. I got tired of dumping $$$ out the tailpipe and I miss my TJ like crazy.

A few pics my 2000 TJ:

So I then went on the hunt for an Unlimited Rubicon. It wasn't easy to find and I kind of lucked out and found one within 4 hours of the house, so I spent all Saturday driving down to Atlanta to get her.

My new-to-me 2006 Unlimited Rubicon! Man do I love this thing already.. Rides a lot better than I remember my TJ ever did, I really like the 6-speed so far, and the extra room is so nice to have.

Stock Rubicon Drive train / Zone 4.25" Combo Lift / 35x12.50x15 KM2's on 15x8 Fuel Revolvers / NOVAK Shifter

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...build-2068833/
Jwinecoff00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
BimotaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
ATJfan

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I wanted an LJ for years. Finally bit the bullet on one from an insurance auction to rebuild. There is nothing else like them out there. Can't wait to see what else you do.
ATJfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

BimotaBruce - How do you like the 4" Currie springs? I want to clear 35's without a BL, and I'm not sure I can get by with the 3.5" MetalCloak's.

Stock Rubicon Drive train / Zone 4.25" Combo Lift / 35x12.50x15 KM2's on 15x8 Fuel Revolvers / NOVAK Shifter

Unread 02-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Springs> I went through about (literally) 4 or 5 different pairs (F & R) of OME springs....never could get the LJ to sit level.

On advice of a friend, I went the Currie route, and I'm very, very pleased. Truck is level, and the truck's ride is pretty good (hey, it's a Jeep, not a Caddy).

While I'm on the Currie bandwagon.....as my friend says "All Jeep parts must be bought 3 times".....and that's pretty much the case with me .... I've ended up with all Currie stuff, and my short arm Jeep just flat out WORKS. I'm very, very impressed with the quality, the fit, and the performance of Currie suspension stuff. It's freakin' expensive.....and worth it IMO. I woulda' saved tons of time and money if I'd just used their stuff the first time.

Currie rant off.

Yes, you can clear the 35's with a 4" lift, but you'll have to bumpstop the crap out of it. It's not the outer flares that you'll hit so much (I did have to trim mine 1")...on the front you'll hit the sheet metal flange where flare meets fender, and it'll indiscriminately sipe your tires for ya' (ask me how I know).....in the rear you'll hit the forward and rear corners of the wheel opening in the tub. All this was "fixed" with the MetalCloaks on my rig.

Now I run very minimal bumpstop, and have a great range of motion of the suspension.

That's my .02

boundless.jpg  
MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the detailed response Bruce, and awesome pic too

I know the feeling of buying Jeep parts 3 times over... I did so with my TJ so I feel I have learned my lesson. I do not mind handing over the coin for a high quality suspension system such as Currie, and it is well documented their systems just work. I would say my LJ will see trails about 25-50% of the time since it's not my DD, so I want to do it right, but I also want as good a ride quality as I can get. That being said, that's why I'm leaning towards the MetalCloak's Duroflex joints. Currie's 4" kit is a good deal though, especially since they throw in the Anti-Rock for about the same price.

Looks like I'll be investing in some kind of highlines too if I want to run 35's and not destroy my fenders. I guess a BL would help the situation.. then I could justify adding a MML and TummyTuck right?

Unread 02-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wait... You want to run a 4" lift such as currie and hylines and possibly a BL if needed to clear 35s?

35s should be able to clear stock fenders on 3.5-4" of lift and 2" with a set of true hylines (not metal cloak). I personally run a 1.25" BL with some spring spacers and stock springs on my LJ with a hyline and 35s.

Decide whether you want a hyline before you buy a lift or you might be redoing it all. just my two cents.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

To be clear, my comments concern running trails like the Rubicon.

Everyone should consider the locations where they wheel, and how much bumpstop (and chassis dragging) that you're willing to live with.

If you notice on the photo in my last post, the Jeep's body is nearly level, with the F&R suspension taking up virtually all of the terrain's bumps and dips. That's a suspension that's working.

For the original PO> Yes, a TT on these LJ's is pretty much necessary....I would also add to the list a gas tank skid (mine's Savvy) that gives another 1.5" clearance.

Those LJ's have some nasty rear overhang (but I wouldn't trade the extra room for anything!).
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
35s should be able to clear stock fenders on 3.5-4" of lift and 2" with a set of true hylines (not metal cloak). I personally run a 1.25" BL with some spring spacers and stock springs on my LJ with a hyline and 35s.

Decide whether you want a hyline before you buy a lift or you might be redoing it all. just my two cents.
Sorry for the confusion.. I was using the term 'Hyline' loosely. I should have said just regular flat fenders like I used to run on my TJ.

I agree, 4" lift plus TRUE Hylines would be way overkill for 35's.

Unread 02-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinecoff00 View Post
BimotaBruce - How do you like the 4" Currie springs? I want to clear 35's without a BL, and I'm not sure I can get by with the 3.5" MetalCloak's.
My 35s clear with no BL and the 3.5" rear Metalcloak springs. I have a light rear end with no tire carrier and the Savvy aluminum bumper, but I've got the Metalcloak fenders in the rear ( technically they're on the garage floor because the paint has been drying this weekend, but I digress) and everything clears just fine. I'm sure even with a tire carrier on the back with a spare you'd be ok. Now to actually bumpstop like I'm supposed to...

Last edited by LeeMasterGT; 02-03-2014 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Clarity
LeeMasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
My 35s clear with no BL and the 3.5" rear Metalcloak springs. I have a light rear end with no tire carrier and the Savvy aluminum bumper, but I've got the Metalcloaks in the rear ( technically they're on the garage floor because the paint has been drying this weekend, but I digress) and everything clears just fine. I'm sure even with a tire carrier on the back with a spare you'd be ok. Now to actually bumpstop like I'm supposed to...
Good to hear, I'll probably just end up ordering their full 3.5" kit. What shocks did you decide to go with? I'm torn between Bilsteins and Fox shocks.

Unread 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinecoff00 View Post
Good to hear, I'll probably just end up ordering their full 3.5" kit. What shocks did you decide to go with? I'm torn between Bilsteins and Fox shocks.
I found barely used Bilsteins for the rear of mine. When I outboard I'll go Fox coilovers if the budget is right. My dad's rig has always had a great ride on the Bilsteins though. So I'll bet that shock choice has more to do with how deep you want to reach into your pockets than anything else.

I've got Fox coilovers for the front and I think they're great. Is it Savvy that has the TJ tuned Fox remote-resi's? If I were doing it all over again I'd give those a shot just to see how good they would be.
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
jscusmcvet

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I will be following along to see how the 35's do. Not sure when I will go there, but it is bound to happen at some point :-).

As for Metal Cloak, I just put their front upper and lower control arms on my 2.5" lifted jeep and the ride difference is remarkable. Company has been great to deal with also. FWIW, I am running Bilstein 5100's and have nothing but good things to say.

Good luck with your build.

john
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscusmcvet View Post
I will be following along to see how the 35's do. Not sure when I will go there, but it is bound to happen at some point :-).

As for Metal Cloak, I just put their front upper and lower control arms on my 2.5" lifted jeep and the ride difference is remarkable. Company has been great to deal with also. FWIW, I am running Bilstein 5100's and have nothing but good things to say.

Good luck with your build.

john
Thanks man, I feel like 35's on the LJ will be just perfect. Good info to hear about the MetalCloak arms, It seems they are really taking off. I will probably be putting the order in for the lift in a week or so (Just have to finish convincing myself this is the kit I want -- MetalCloak vs. Savvy) and hopefully I'll have it within the 3 weeks it says they require to ship.

Unread 02-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #15
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice looking LJ , welcome to the club .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.