Just got my first Jeep! What to do next? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just got my first Jeep! What to do next?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
adrockj

Just got my first Jeep! What to do next?

I have always wanted one of these and found a smoking deal on Craigslist I could not refuse: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8. This car is stock and I want to start building it for beginner off road adventures. What do I want to do first??? Lift?

adrockj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
84jeepcj7rock

Decide what size tires you want to run and what kind of wheeling you want to do. That will help you decide how big of a lift and or sheet metal trimming you need to do. Also if you will need stronger axles, different gearing, lockers etc.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #3
adrockj

Thank you! I live near an Off Road Warehouse and they recommended a 2" spring lift and Bilstien shocks. If i do that, what are the biggest tires I can go with? Right now I have the stock 16". I am seeing on craigslist a lot of guys will buy a new jeep and immediately sell the set of stock wheels and tires super cheap. Mostly 17" and 18"
Unread Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #4
billytoad631
2005 TJ Wrangler 

with a 2 inch lift you can run a 31 inch tire
billytoad631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 07:40 PM   #5
adrockj

Nice! I live in San Diego and the type of terrain I will be in is desert rocks and hard sand... Baja 500 style. Any specific tire size, type and brand name for my 16" wheels?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.