Just another YJ build... My version - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another YJ build... My version

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #106
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
The first shop I called emailed me a qoute and I damn near choked on my lunch. They want $1,115.30 to re-gear ONE(1) axle. With it being an 8.8 and no carrier break that price obviously doesnt include a carrier. There is no way in hell I would pay over $1,100 for one axle.
I sure as hell wouldn't. Why don't you try doing it yourself?

I re-geared my D30 and D35 and a buddies D44. I have an in-lb torque wrench I can ship to you. It's for a bicycle but I used it for measuring the pinion preload.

I would assume to do it yourself you would need:

Gear set: $200
Master Install: $100
Seals: $30
Wheel bearings: $50?
Locker: Up to you for price
Brakes: $200 (pads & rotors)

You'll need to get a bearing splitter (or borrow one) $100
In-lb torque wrench
Dremel (make the existing bearings slip fit)
Bearing press

I'm sure the folks on here can help out.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #107
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
not much going on with the YJ.... Im in Va all month for work.

on a side note: I am having a problem finding a good shop in Jacksonville, NC to re-gear my 8.8, so I decided I'd call some shops around the southeastern part of Va where I'm at. figured if I get a good price from a good shop, I'll drive home on the weekend, pull the 8.8 and bring it back up with me.

The first shop I called emailed me a qoute and I damn near choked on my lunch. They want $1,115.30 to re-gear ONE(1) axle. With it being an 8.8 and no carrier break that price obviously doesnt include a carrier. There is no way in hell I would pay over $1,100 for one axle.
if you come back here, Border parts does it for ~250$ plus parts.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #108
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I sure as hell wouldn't. Why don't you try doing it yourself?

I re-geared my D30 and D35 and a buddies D44. I have an in-lb torque wrench I can ship to you. It's for a bicycle but I used it for measuring the pinion preload.

I would assume to do it yourself you would need:

Gear set: $200
Master Install: $100
Seals: $30
Wheel bearings: $50?
Locker: Up to you for price
Brakes: $200 (pads & rotors)

You'll need to get a bearing splitter (or borrow one) $100
In-lb torque wrench
Dremel (make the existing bearings slip fit)
Bearing press

I'm sure the folks on here can help out.
i might as well do it myself.

i have:
-friends with a regular shop press.
-i would need the in-lb torque wrench you were talking about.
-i have a dremel.
-i would need a bearing splitter.

i always heard it was cheaper to get it done than to buy the tools. i dont know now. honestly im kinda scared to do gears. its the only thing ive never touched.

how hard was it Lou? you really have me tempted now.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #109
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
if you come back here, Border parts does it for ~250$ plus parts.
yea thats a little more like what i was expecting. i paid $600 to regear the rear of my truck to 4.56 a couple yrs ago in vegas

Unread 07-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #110
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
yea thats a little more like what i was expecting. i paid $600 to regear the rear of my truck to 4.56 a couple yrs ago in vegas
what's freight on an 8.8? ship it to me and I'll take it down there for ya
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #111
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i might as well do it myself.

i have:
-friends with a regular shop press.
-i would need the in-lb torque wrench you were talking about.
-i have a dremel.
-i would need a bearing splitter.

i always heard it was cheaper to get it done than to buy the tools. i dont know now. honestly im kinda scared to do gears. its the only thing ive never touched.

how hard was it Lou? you really have me tempted now.
I was pretty nervous. I did about 3 months of research online and reading install manuals. When I finally took my axles out I had just left home to start a new job. I didn't have a place to work on my axles at my apartment so I would drive home (2 hours) and work on them a couple hours maybe twice a month. My jeep stayed on jackstands for 6 months!

My research paid off but actually doing it gives you yourself makes it all come together and you get a real sense of accomplishment.

I say go for it and if you need the in-lb torque wrench. I'll mail it to you. No charge.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #112
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
what's freight on an 8.8? ship it to me and I'll take it down there for ya
if anything i would take it to Mark over at Pro Gear. he told me if i bought the gears i could take them to his shop and he'd teach me to regear and use his tools all free of charge. i asked how much he would charge me for a regear and he said "i wouldnt do it, i'd let you do it while i show you how". to me thats a badass shop owner right there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I was pretty nervous. I did about 3 months of research online and reading install manuals. When I finally took my axles out I had just left home to start a new job. I didn't have a place to work on my axles at my apartment so I would drive home (2 hours) and work on them a couple hours maybe twice a month. My jeep stayed on jackstands for 6 months!
My research paid off but actually doing it gives you yourself makes it all come together and you get a real sense of accomplishment.
I say go for it and if you need the in-lb torque wrench. I'll mail it to you. No charge.

i figure i can buy the tools for the price of paying for labor. also i was going to go open carrier for now(just dont really have the money for a locker right now) but i figure for the price i was qouted i could do it myself AND install a locker. im just going to do spartan, so thats only $300.

i think im going to start researching it more. plus once i have the tools and knowledge i can re-gear anytime i want

Unread 07-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #113
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a bearing splitter, another Dremel and access to plenty of people with the know-how. I know one of the mechs that does the rebuilds on the gear here so getting more tools is easy too.

I've done a couple gear jobs on Chrysler 8 3/4s, a Dana 60 and Chrysler 8.25. Not an expert by any means, but I can give you a hand. Guy down the road from me has a decent shop, he runs drag and circle track cars. Plenty of knowledge, tools, presses and a great lift with 16' ceilings in the shop. I'll give him a call tomorrow.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #114
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Why haven't I seen this thread yet? We're doing about the same stuff at the same time. I just finished my anti-wrap bar and went left onto the skid plate like yours. Just did the HF cart and Hobart welder. I NEED to do the steering bearing change although I just upgraded power steering.

I'll be following you from here on out. I tried to do the regear and ended up bailing out. I now own a bearing splitter I don't need after I paid for both axles.

Good luck with it. Spartan locker works well too by the way.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #115
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
I have a bearing splitter, another Dremel and access to plenty of people with the know-how. I know one of the mechs that does the rebuilds on the gear here so getting more tools is easy too.

I've done a couple gear jobs on Chrysler 8 3/4s, a Dana 60 and Chrysler 8.25. Not an expert by any means, but I can give you a hand. Guy down the road from me has a decent shop, he runs drag and circle track cars. Plenty of knowledge, tools, presses and a great lift with 16' ceilings in the shop. I'll give him a call tomorrow.
well if i decide to tackle this i could def use your experience. like i said, gears are about the only thing i havent ever done myself yet.

also let me know what your guy down the rd says

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Why haven't I seen this thread yet? We're doing about the same stuff at the same time. I just finished my anti-wrap bar and went left onto the skid plate like yours. Just did the HF cart and Hobart welder. I NEED to do the steering bearing change although I just upgraded power steering.

I'll be following you from here on out. I tried to do the regear and ended up bailing out. I now own a bearing splitter I don't need after I paid for both axles.

Good luck with it. Spartan locker works well too by the way.
ive been following your thread.

why did you bail out on your re-gear?

you have a spartan in the rear? i have one in the front and love it. i expect the same for the rear.

Unread 07-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #116
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ
ive been following your thread.

why did you bail out on your re-gear?

you have a spartan in the rear? i have one in the front and love it. i expect the same for the rear.
Cool.

I bailed because I pulled the bearings and they fell in a pile of saw dust. I was using a sledge hammer to pull the old pinion and mashed it up. I attempted to set the pinion bearings using my bearing splitter in reverse with an impact wrench. It worked but produced smoke and damaged my concrete. I realized I was in over my head.

I'm limited slip in the back and Spartan in front. I'll hold off on locking rear for now. Believe it or not I'm trying to keep this a mall crawler. For some reason I always end up in the middle of no where with two to four wheels in the air.

Where you running into stuff you could get over? Is that why you're locking the rear?
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #117
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Cool.

I bailed because I pulled the bearings and they fell in a pile of saw dust. I was using a sledge hammer to pull the old pinion and mashed it up. I attempted to set the pinion bearings using my bearing splitter in reverse with an impact wrench. It worked but produced smoke and damaged my concrete. I realized I was in over my head.

I'm limited slip in the back and Spartan in front. I'll hold off on locking rear for now. Believe it or not I'm trying to keep this a mall crawler. For some reason I always end up in the middle of no where with two to four wheels in the air.

Where you running into stuff you could get over? Is that why you're locking the rear?

man sounds like you had a rough time with the re-gear. im hoping to have all of the right tools and just do it right the first time.

right now i just have a spartan front and open rear. I never have a problem while wheeling but there sure are a lot of obstacles that would be easier if i was locked rear. plus i could try harder obstacles

im not too worried about locking the rear. my YJ is a garage queen. ill drive here to work every now and again.

Unread 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #118
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There was a guy with D30 spartan for sale here locally for $100, I was lookin at snagging that. Plus, I happen to have come across an 8.8 Detroit for $150. Since I am getting the LSD, want me to work my "shilock" magic?

I spoke to Lynn about the wagy springs too...... :-)
Unread 07-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #119
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
There was a guy with D30 spartan for sale here locally for $100, I was lookin at snagging that. Plus, I happen to have come across an 8.8 Detroit for $150. Since I am getting the LSD, want me to work my "shilock" magic?

I spoke to Lynn about the wagy springs too...... :-)
yea i would definitely snag that spartan. i love mine. a detroit for $150? thats a real good price. i wonder if anything is wrong with it?

what did Lynn say about the Waggy springs?

Unread 07-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #120
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I sent a text for some more details on the locker. As for the springs...... ;-) I am heading down to take a look this weekend. He has a bunch of them. Gonna try to pick the best ones

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.