Just another YJ build... My version - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another YJ build... My version

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 06-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #76
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
where are you going to be living in TN?

Uwharrie is ok. its pretty moderate. at least compared to what im used to on the West coast.

i figure its a decent middle ground for us distance wise depending on where youre coming from
Knoxvegas.

I'm going back to school up there. My fiance is doing a medical residency at their College of Veterinary Medicine. I'm getting my masters.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #77
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

well congrats on going back for your masters. thats awesome

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #78
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well congrats on going back for your masters. thats awesome
Thanks. I'm nervous about it because I graduated in 2008. I'm sure I'll have to re-learn quite a bit. Of course if it was easy, anybody could do it.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #79
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Thanks. I'm nervous about it because I graduated in 2008. I'm sure I'll have to re-learn quite a bit. Of course if it was easy, anybody could do it.
which is why im in the military

i can concentrate on my job and just slowly knock out schooling on the side

Unread 06-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #80
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
which is why im in the military

i can concentrate on my job and just slowly knock out schooling on the side
That is nice. I'm hoping I can find a part-time engineering position or co-op or something like that. That way I can afford something more than Ramen noodles.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 07-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #81
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

well i did some work on the jeep today.

when i went to Uwharrie a couple months ago i broke the frame mount of my traction bar. i knew it was going to happen eventually. i had it mounted on the stock trans skid that i beefed up a little. i think it was a combination of using the stock skid and my angles for the bar were off.

heres what my skid looked like when i broke it

and heres the original traction bar

i recently rebuilt a skid out of 1/4" so i decided i should be able to stand up to the task, but i am still going to reinforce it.

i was all ready to order up some new DOM, bushings and all the things i need for a traction bar. then i realized that this bar is only i temp until i stretch my rig and have to build a new one again.

so i just decided to cut up my previous one and re-do it.

i cut it apart and this is what i ended up with

for my frame end bushing i decided to use a trac bar bushing. ive had those things sitting around for ages.

i couldnt just come right off the top of my skid for the shackle because it ends basically right at the end of my t-case. the shackle wouldnt have any room for movement.

this is how i brought it off from the skid. this is 1/4". i will gusset the crap out of it so its sure to not move

i told you i was going to beef up the skid so decided to use some 1 1/4"x.188 wall DOM. i cut a 1/4" slice down the middle of it and i am sliding it over the lip of the skid and welding it in place.

the DOM with the slit

i slid the DOM over the skid and started to weld but ended up calling it a day for now. ive been outside for about 5 hrs straight and lost probably 10lbs in sweat. im gonna go back out later when i wont have a heeat stroke.

heres how far i got (im also going to cap the end of it)

and a pic of the traction bar tacked. i still have to pull it to do final welding and add my brace between the upper and lower DOM.

i decided to lower my anti squat while i was at it, so i redrilled(lowered 2") the upper mount holes. im not too happy with how short the lower DOM link is but thats what i ended up with while keeping the lower tube the same angle as my DS. its perfect right now.

again this traction bar is only temp until i stretch my rear. then my TB will be longer and ill reweld some new axle mounts to make up for the new pinion and stretch.

i also had a HF coupon for a welding cart for only $35. i got tired of using the one i made a couple yrs ago so i picked this little guy up

Unread 07-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #82
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job on tearing up the skid. I'll be interested to see the temporary finished product.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #83
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok i did a little more work on the traction bar today. i finished up all im doing for now. i still need to add one more gussets to the shackle mount itself and i want to run some more DOM all the way across the skid instead of just how much i have now. i am leaving on sunday for a month to Va for some work though, so i just wanted to get this mounted back up and clean the garage up so it doesnt irritate me when i get home. the Jeep is just a garage queen right now anyway. i let my registration expire while i was out in the field for work 2 weeks ago. im going to mail out the new registration form to NV DMV tomorrow. hopefully by the time i get back the registration will be waiting for me.

heres the new traction bar after finish welding and waiting for paint to dry

and the skid painted

and now mounted

heres the skid mount. again in going to add a gusset between the bushing sleeve and the frame to add some more strength. i also still need to thread out my heim a little to get my shackle angle at 90 degrees with my top bar

the backside of the mount. im going to finish sleeving the edge of the skid with DOM at a later date (dont mind my welds, i ran out of shielding gas so i just flux-cored the crap out of it)

you can see here that my lower support is at the same angle as my rear driveshaft. both are at exactly 35 degrees

well thats it for now folks. im itching real bad to get back on the trail but work gets in the way. well that and living 5 hrs from the nearest offroad park. Damn you east coast

Unread 07-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #84
Soon2AdjustYou
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great man. How are you planning on doing the rear stretch? Waggy springs like the front?
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #85
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2AdjustYou View Post
Looks great man. How are you planning on doing the rear stretch? Waggy springs like the front?
thanks.

yea i plan on just using waggy springs again. i still have to locate some though. im looking to stretch the rear about 2". maybe push it out to 3". thatll put me at 100" WB.

i will also have to clearance my gas tank for the stretch

Unread 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #86
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

got a box of goodies today from RuffStuff.

shipped from Cali on Monday and got to my doorstep in NC by thurs. real fast shipping, as usual

i received my new rear lower shock mounts and a T-shirt.

these mounts are going in to replace the temp. mounts i made when i installed the teraflex upper shocker bar.

you can see my temp mount here, it was my old mounts that i welded some plate to with a bolt drilled through then welded. i never hit the trail like this. just did it to get the shocks mounted. the new ones are BEEF and double shear

Unread 07-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #87
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think I may have a line on some Waggy stuff down in Wilmington. I'll be down there this weekend and will find out what Lynn has lying around. My buddy got 3 AX15s and a Dana 300 for $150, so it should be pretty cheap!

I don't know how I never saw this thread before! Great build man. The pics don't do your rig any justice after seeing it in person. Keep up the good work!
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #88
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
I think I may have a line on some Waggy stuff down in Wilmington. I'll be down there this weekend and will find out what Lynn has lying around. My buddy got 3 AX15s and a Dana 300 for $150, so it should be pretty cheap!

I don't know how I never saw this thread before! Great build man. The pics don't do your rig any justice after seeing it in person. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Buck. you ever get your wiring figured out?

let me know what you find out about some waggy stuff. i need some waggy front springs. also hit me up before sunday so you can snag that welder.

Unread 07-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #89
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This wiring is giving me fits!! I have literally been pulling my hair out. My Heep ran for about 5 minutes twice yesterday. Thats it in the past week and a half. I am lookin at pickin up a Speedway 20 circuit harness and ripping all the hacked up birds nest mess I have out.

I will hit you up tomorrow. We never got a BBQ together, too much BS goin on with new neighbors. We just got new neighbors on Monday. They had a party last night and mysteriously 1 of Kayaks and paddles came up missing off the dock. Found a sock and a red dixie cup half full of booze where my kayak used to be. Needless to say I have not had a good past few weeks.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #90
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
This wiring is giving me fits!! I have literally been pulling my hair out. My Heep ran for about 5 minutes twice yesterday. Thats it in the past week and a half. I am lookin at pickin up a Speedway 20 circuit harness and ripping all the hacked up birds nest mess I have out.

I will hit you up tomorrow. We never got a BBQ together, too much BS goin on with new neighbors. We just got new neighbors on Monday. They had a party last night and mysteriously 1 of Kayaks and paddles came up missing off the dock. Found a sock and a red dixie cup half full of booze where my kayak used to be. Needless to say I have not had a good past few weeks.
sounds like your new neighbors just bought you a new kayak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.