been a real busy weekend working on the jeep.
i ordered some balljoints online and received them last thurs so i went ahead and tackled that project this weekend.
heres my old balljoints, as you can see i desperately needed new ones
i rented a balljoint press from Autozone and began tearing into it.
i tore the axle down to the C's
both my upper joints were so bad the the balljoint just pressed out of the outer sleeve.
i then used the press and a socket to get the rest of it out
and heres one bare C
i then pressed all my new joints in. i didnt get any pictures of this but i did
knock out a few other things and get some pics
while i had my steering off i decided to throw a fresh coat of paint on it.
while i had the axle apart i realized that my passenger side axle Ujoint is toast
im trying to get this thing ready to go out on the trail next weekend so this put me in a little bind. NO ONE locally sells Spicer joints and i dont really have the time to order some and wait for it to come in, then throw my axle back together for the weekend(work too much during the week)
that being said i went against my better judgement and snagged a Autozone Duralast Gold 297 ujoint. we'll see how long this thing lasts. at least maybe it can last long enough for me to order another joint.
heres the new joint
got the joint out and the shafts seperated
and the old vs new
and finally with the Duralast Gold ujoint installed
one other thing ive needed to do for a while was figure out my front brake lines. i run chevy 1500 brake lines which are 25.5" long and i still max them out. until i buy some longer lines i just moved my hard lines under the frame. this seems to have given me enough space that my shocks will limit before my brake lines.
on that note i have realized now that my shocks are my next limiting factor. i am going to snag some shocks from SSYJ94 when i get some spare cash. they are 13" BBCS. those should work well for me. until then though i figured i should run some limit straps.
as i was perusing through Tractor supply today i ran across the axle straps they sell. they are 2"x24" and rated at 10,000lbs. the ones from poly performance and everywhere else are 1.75" and rated at 7,000lbs. now i know that alot of those are double or quad wrapped but they do have single wrap ones and if those work i dont see why these wouldnt. if they fail i am out $10 a pop. no big deal in my book
i think these my do the trick
i disconnected my shocks and let them go full droop them hooked theses up about an inch before my shacks max.
and all buttoned up
and heres how she sits
well thats all for today folks. i have all my tires loaded up in the back of my truck and hopefully tomorrow will be able to get my new MTRs mounted