Just another YJ build... My version - Page 38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another YJ build... My version

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #556
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up some more steel today. Once my harnesses arrive on Thurs I think I'll have everything I need for the cage. I plan to start this weekend but its been raining the last week and the weather report says its supposed to rain through next week. Hopefully it'll die down for the weekend so I can get some work done.

3 more sticks of 1.75x.120 DOM.

100' of DOM right here.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #557
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Chris,

Some buddies and myself and making a run at the Adventure Off Road Park. It's West of Chattanooga which I know is a haul for you but just letting you know before July is over. We want to get there Friday July 26th and roll out Sunday.

http://www.adventureoffroadpark.com/
Unfortunately I dont think I'll be able to make it. I told myself i wasnt going to work on the jeep this summer and just wheel, but then I started buying everything for my cage. Now im way over budget and wont be able to make a 9 hr drive to TN.

Im dumb. But it should be worth it

Unread 06-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #558
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Unfortunately I dont think I'll be able to make it. I told myself i wasnt going to work on the jeep this summer and just wheel, but then I started buying everything for my cage. Now im way over budget and wont be able to make a 9 hr drive to TN.

Im dumb. But it should be worth it
Very understandable. 9 hours would be a bit much for me so I understand completely.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #559
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Measure three times - cut once.

Lookin' forward to seeing the progress, Chris!
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #560
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have you got your design all layed out? Not even joking, do a lay out on the floor of the garage to start matching pieces and prepping for the actual assembly. Its helped me in the past, past thing you need is 2 passenger side winshield bars and no drivers side...

Lookin forward to getting up there and helpin out
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #561
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Measure three times - cut once.

Lookin' forward to seeing the progress, Chris!
I definitely will. This will be my first real project with the bender. Im pretty nervous actually. Tube is way to expensive right now to mess up a 20ft stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
Have you got your design all layed out? Not even joking, do a lay out on the floor of the garage to start matching pieces and prepping for the actual assembly. Its helped me in the past, past thing you need is 2 passenger side winshield bars and no drivers side...

Lookin forward to getting up there and helpin out
No I havent layed anything out yet. I was gonna rely on the Bentech software. That is a good idea though. Wanna come over today and play with some tape on my garage floor?

Unread 06-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #562
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well some things that I ordered for my cage build have slowly been filtering in this week.

Some tabs and cage feet I ordered from AA-MFG. Pretty good prices and fast shipping. Their website is really hard to find things but my package came with a great catalog. I would suggest trying to get a catalog first then find your part numbers from it before ordering. Would have been so much easier.

Also received the harnesses I ordered. My budget is pretty tapped out right now and harnesses are EXPENSIVE so I searched around for some cheap ones. Instead of spending $200 on Mastercraft harnesses I searched Ebay and found some JDM Racing ones for $46.99 for a PAIR. I figured I'd run these for a while til i can afford some better ones.

I also started stripping the interior and washing the rig in preparation. My gf Jessica was kind enough to help

Unread 06-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #563
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice looking parts. I've yet to figure out how to get my wife to wash my jeep in her bikini...or maybe I'm not properly persuading her.

Huh.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #564
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I've yet to figure out how to get my wife to wash my jeep in her bikini...or maybe I'm not properly persuading her.

Huh.
I guess I'm lucky.

She likes to "work on her tan" so i convinced her to wash the jeep.

Unread 06-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #565
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

those seats look awesome. Do you guys have any other trips lined up soon?
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #566
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1330 View Post
those seats look awesome. Do you guys have any other trips lined up soon?
Thanks. Im pretty stoked. As far as trips lined up, there's not any that I know of right now. Theres talk of another Gulches run in Sept but its still too early to hash out the details. I'd love to make it to Gulches again.

Unread 06-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #567
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Thanks. Im pretty stoked. As far as trips lined up, there's not any that I know of right now. Theres talk of another Gulches run in Sept but its still too early to hash out the details. I'd love to make it to Gulches again.
Yea the wife and I went a couple of weeks ago. Got a flat on the trailer going down there. Got there skip was closed due to weather, then blew a freakin turbo out on the 250 on the way back. Wasn't a good day. I tried to pm you cant figure that out but I was wondering if you or garret had any pictures of my jeep on any of the trails?
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #568
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1330 View Post
Yea the wife and I went a couple of weeks ago. Got a flat on the trailer going down there. Got there skip was closed due to weather, then blew a freakin turbo out on the 250 on the way back. Wasn't a good day. I tried to pm you cant figure that out but I was wondering if you or garret had any pictures of my jeep on any of the trails?
Man that sounds like a bad day. Sorry to hear about your luck.

PM sent

Unread 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #569
87FoRunner
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Cool build. Sub'd

I as well have an eaton H)72 going in my YJ...
87FoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #570
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

So I started some of my Cage build over the weekend. Its been raining nonstop the last 2 weeks here so you just have to get in the work whenever weather permits.

I started Fri by myself by pulling the old cage and getting some of the tools set up.

Starting photo. Say goodbye to the old cage.

Then I cut the old cage in half and pulled it. I tried to get it out without cutting but it didnt even budge

after that was done I got the bender set up, took some measurements and started bending

started on my first piece. This is my A-C pillar

After getting the one piece built the weather was slowly starting to change on me. Id been outside working on the jeep for 7 hrs straight at this time so i decided to call it a day.

The next morning i got started early. I started drilling out the cage plates i got to 1/2" and i also traced them and cut some more out. Sorry but I didnt get any pics of this boring job.

A little later that morning some friends showed up to help out for the day...

We promptly started bending my second A-C pillar. Here is Buck(USMCBuckWild) and Garret(Duggan98TJ) working the bender.

Then we checked fitment in the jeep. It needed a little trimming, but that was expected. Id rather have it long and cut some off then bend a piece thats too short.

Then we threw in both pillars and started taking measurements to get them tacked in. Here we see Buck airing up one of my tires to level the jeep with my driveway.

After we got these tac'd in we called it a day. It was a long productive day. There is a lot more involved than these pics show. A lot of measuring and triple checking measurements. Also drilling and mounting the cage feet etc, all while drinking beer and eating pizza

Sunday it was raining so I wasnt able to get any work done on the cage. Plus my gf was mad at me because i spent all day Fri and Sat on the jeep, so i took her out to lunch and a movie

Yesterday though I did get a small amount of work done.

First thing I did was mock up some tape and see where I wanted my B-pillar overhead bar. Once i figured out the location I took some measurements, measured some tube and threw it in the notcher. I failed to take pics of this part. I looks the same as everytime i notch tube though.

B- pillar overhead bar tac'd in place

Pic of notch

Now before I could move on to making the B-pillar uprights, i had to make some B-pillar cage feet.

spent some time taking some measurements then I whipped these up

And thats as far as I've gotten so far. This is definitely taking longer than I thought it would, but thats ok because i want to take my time and get it 100% right. Doesnt help having bad weather on your side either.

Thats all for now folks

EDIT: please excuse the white glare in the bottom left of all the pictures. I cracked my camera lense and need to get it fixed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.