Well as said before, my only plans for the Jeep during the wheeling season is to lower it a little then wheel it how it is.
Yesterday I got started on lowering the front. Im running stock 7 leaf Wagoneer springs in the front. In order to lower it my plans were to use an XJ main leaf in military wrap fashion as well as pull a couple of the stock wagoneer springs.
The first thing I did was acquire some XJ rear leaf springs. I was able to get one(1) spring last weekend at the pick and pull but ended up breaking my ratchet and not being able to grab the second one at the time. thankfully Curt, USMCBuckWild, was able to snag another one for me on Fri when he went on a frenzy at the PnP.
First thing I did yesterday was put the jeep on jackstands and pull the front springs.
Waggy springs next to XJ springs.
then I broke the leaf packs down to parade rest.
Here is the waggy springs pack town apart.
After I tore down all the leaf packs I had to get the XJ main leaf ready for the military wrap. I spent a lot of time getting the bushing and sleeve out of the small eye. The first one took FOREVER. had to figure out the best way to get it out. The second one didnt take that long. Unlike YJ springs that have 2 bushings that are pressed in and then a sleeve that slides right in, the XJ springs are one big molded sleeve/bushing that you have to melt and slowly tear out all of the rubber from the bushing just to get it out. Or at least thats what I did
after I got the bushing out I hammered the Waggy main leaf into the XJ leaf to create a military wrap spring. hopefully this should keep the long side of the spring from bending. I havent had any problems with this so far but apparently the Waggy springs are prone to it.
Waggy/XJ military wrap.
Next I decided what springs I wanted to put back into the pack and which one i wanted to keep out. I think I ended up with my pack being as follows
waggy 3rd spring
waggy 6th spring
waggy 7th spring
I went from a 7 leaf pack to a 5 leaf, i pulled 3 waggy springs and added one XJ spring.
Here is a shot of the new leaf pack. I waited to cut the XJ leaf until i test fit the pack and i was satisfied.
and a test fit of the new pack.
after I was satisfied with the new setup and lower height I pulled the springs, tore them down again, cut the XJ spring, wire wheeled them and then re-installed them.
Here is a close up of the freshly painted and installed military wrap.
and a final shot. Its dark out so I cant back it out of the garage and get a good pic. Ill get one later.
And thats it. I was able to drop the front end by 2". Which is awesome. I was aiming for around 1 1/2-2".
I only had part of the whole project that gave me problems. When you install the XJ springs into the waggy spring pack you need to drill a new center hole in the XJ spring. I burned through SOOOOO many drill bits trying to get a 3/8" hole in the spring. i was able to get a real small starter hole easier but was just trashing bits trying to slowly work it up to 3/8". I even went out and bought some new drill bits after i ruined all of mine. I probably spent 2-3 hrs trying to get ONE spring drilled out. Finally I was smart and hopped online for some research. It appears that a carbide tip masonry bit makes quick work of spring steel. After that I hopped in the truck and headed to Lowes and grabbed a 3/8" masonry bit. After I got home I threw the bit in the drill press and drilled the hole in no longer than 30 seconds. I was so excited but pissed at the same time. I used the new bit on the second XJ leaf as well with great results. The second XJ spring i didnt even use a pilot whole. I just went straight to 3/8".