Just another YJ build... My version - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another YJ build... My version

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #481
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just went though almost all of your build thread, very impressive! Your jeep is badass!

My YJ build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/abcs-yj-build-1296743/
abc_was_here is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #482
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_was_here View Post
I just went though almost all of your build thread, very impressive! Your jeep is badass!
Thanks

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #483
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well as said before, my only plans for the Jeep during the wheeling season is to lower it a little then wheel it how it is.

Yesterday I got started on lowering the front. Im running stock 7 leaf Wagoneer springs in the front. In order to lower it my plans were to use an XJ main leaf in military wrap fashion as well as pull a couple of the stock wagoneer springs.

The first thing I did was acquire some XJ rear leaf springs. I was able to get one(1) spring last weekend at the pick and pull but ended up breaking my ratchet and not being able to grab the second one at the time. thankfully Curt, USMCBuckWild, was able to snag another one for me on Fri when he went on a frenzy at the PnP.

First thing I did yesterday was put the jeep on jackstands and pull the front springs.

Waggy springs next to XJ springs.

then I broke the leaf packs down to parade rest.

Here is the waggy springs pack town apart.

After I tore down all the leaf packs I had to get the XJ main leaf ready for the military wrap. I spent a lot of time getting the bushing and sleeve out of the small eye. The first one took FOREVER. had to figure out the best way to get it out. The second one didnt take that long. Unlike YJ springs that have 2 bushings that are pressed in and then a sleeve that slides right in, the XJ springs are one big molded sleeve/bushing that you have to melt and slowly tear out all of the rubber from the bushing just to get it out. Or at least thats what I did

after I got the bushing out I hammered the Waggy main leaf into the XJ leaf to create a military wrap spring. hopefully this should keep the long side of the spring from bending. I havent had any problems with this so far but apparently the Waggy springs are prone to it.

Waggy/XJ military wrap.

Next I decided what springs I wanted to put back into the pack and which one i wanted to keep out. I think I ended up with my pack being as follows

Waggy main
XJ main
waggy 3rd spring
waggy 6th spring
waggy 7th spring

I went from a 7 leaf pack to a 5 leaf, i pulled 3 waggy springs and added one XJ spring.

Here is a shot of the new leaf pack. I waited to cut the XJ leaf until i test fit the pack and i was satisfied.

and a test fit of the new pack.

after I was satisfied with the new setup and lower height I pulled the springs, tore them down again, cut the XJ spring, wire wheeled them and then re-installed them.

Here is a close up of the freshly painted and installed military wrap.

and a final shot. Its dark out so I cant back it out of the garage and get a good pic. Ill get one later.

And thats it. I was able to drop the front end by 2". Which is awesome. I was aiming for around 1 1/2-2".

I only had part of the whole project that gave me problems. When you install the XJ springs into the waggy spring pack you need to drill a new center hole in the XJ spring. I burned through SOOOOO many drill bits trying to get a 3/8" hole in the spring. i was able to get a real small starter hole easier but was just trashing bits trying to slowly work it up to 3/8". I even went out and bought some new drill bits after i ruined all of mine. I probably spent 2-3 hrs trying to get ONE spring drilled out. Finally I was smart and hopped online for some research. It appears that a carbide tip masonry bit makes quick work of spring steel. After that I hopped in the truck and headed to Lowes and grabbed a 3/8" masonry bit. After I got home I threw the bit in the drill press and drilled the hole in no longer than 30 seconds. I was so excited but pissed at the same time. I used the new bit on the second XJ leaf as well with great results. The second XJ spring i didnt even use a pilot whole. I just went straight to 3/8".

Unread 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #484
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome!

This is one of those no brain, awesome mods like the track bar removal or 20 gallon mod.

I have the same spring setup and love it. I think I ended up with 5 packs too.

All said and done the springs cost me $28 and I would not trade them for any aftermarket product -- OMEs or BDS.

Any plans to do the other end?
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #485
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Well as said before, my only plans for the Jeep during the wheeling season is to lower it a little then wheel it how it is.

Yesterday I got started on lowering the front. Im running stock 7 leaf Wagoneer springs in the front. In order to lower it my plans were to use an XJ main leaf in military wrap fashion as well as pull a couple of the stock wagoneer springs.

The first thing I did was acquire some XJ rear leaf springs. I was able to get one(1) spring last weekend at the pick and pull but ended up breaking my ratchet and not being able to grab the second one at the time. thankfully Curt, USMCBuckWild, was able to snag another one for me on Fri when he went on a frenzy at the PnP.

First thing I did yesterday was put the jeep on jackstands and pull the front springs.

Waggy springs next to XJ springs.

then I broke the leaf packs down to rarade rest.

Here is the waggy springs pack town apart.

After I tore down all the leaf packs I had to get the XJ main leaf ready for the military wrap. I spent a lot of time getting the bushing and sleeve out of the small eye. The first one took FOREVER. had to figure out the best way to get it out. The second one didnt take that long. Unlike YJ springs that have 2 bushings that are pressed in and then a sleeve that slides right in, the XJ springs are one big molded sleeve/bushing that you have to melt and slowly tear out all of the rubber from the bushing just to get it out. Or at least thats what I did

after I got the bushing out I hammered the Waggy main leaf into the XJ leaf to create a military wrap spring. hopefully this should keep the long side of the spring from bending. I havent had any problems with this so far but apparently the Waggy springs are prone to it.

Waggy/XJ military wrap.

Next I decided what springs I wanted to put back into the pack and which one i wanted to keep out. I think I ended up with my pack being as follows

Waggy main
XJ main
waggy 3rd spring
waggy 6th spring
waggy 7th spring

I went from a 7 leaf pack to a 5 leaf, i pulled 3 waggy springs and added one XJ spring.

Here is a shot of the new leaf pack. I waited to cut the XJ leaf until i test fit the pack and i was satisfied.

and a test fit of the new pack.

after I was satisfied with the new setup and lower height I pulled the springs, tore them down again, cut the XJ spring, wire wheeled them and then re-installed them.

Here is a close up of the freshly painted and installed military wrap.

and a final shot. Its dark out so I cant back it out of the garage and get a good pic. Ill get one later.

And thats it. I was able to drop the front end by 2". Which is awesome. I was aiming for around 1 1/2-2".

I only had part of the whole project that gave me problems. When you install the XJ springs into the waggy spring pack you need to drill a new center hole in the XJ spring. I burned through SOOOOO many drill bits trying to get a 3/8" hole in the spring. i was able to get a real small starter hole easier but was just trashing bits trying to slowly work it up to 3/8". I even went out and bought some new drill bits after i ruined all of mine. I probably spent 2-3 hrs trying to get ONE spring drilled out. Finally I was smart and hopped online for some research. It appears that a carbide tip masonry bit makes quick work of spring steel. After that I hopped in the truck and headed to Lowes and grabbed a 3/8" masonry bit. After I got home I threw the bit in the drill press and drilled the hole in no longer than 30 seconds. I was so excited but pissed at the same time. I used the new bit on the second XJ leaf as well with great results. The second XJ spring i didnt even use a pilot whole. I just went straight to 3/8".

Looks good buddy! That last little bit of info would have been useful for me when I was trying to drill out my XJ springs, I like you burned through some then I bought a $$ bling bit that made quick work of it.
I did mine a little different and put my mill wrap at the shackle end.
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #486
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post

Looks good buddy! That last little bit of info would have been useful for me when I was trying to drill out my XJ springs, I like you burned through some then I bought a $$ bling bit that made quick work of it.
I noticed how he did it too SkyJ. I did it like you but I like his way better. His way allows the second spring to take force from the front.

I had to use a clamp on mine to help. It still isn't as good.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:12 AM   #487
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good!
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #488
88RedWrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

shame on you sir....

you said this was "just another build thread"
Lying to us like that... this happens to be an exceptional build thread!!! Nice work man and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!
88RedWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #489
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet mod. I was worried you wouldn't be ready for Windrock.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #490
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Awesome!

This is one of those no brain, awesome mods like the track bar removal or 20 gallon mod.

I have the same spring setup and love it. I think I ended up with 5 packs too.

All said and done the springs cost me $28 and I would not trade them for any aftermarket product -- OMEs or BDS.

Any plans to do the other end?
I do have plans to do the other end. without backing it out of the garage its hard to see how it sits. According to my bubble level it actually sits even now. Once I have time this week i will back it out and see what needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Thanks. I wish I would have read how to drill through spring steel before i ruined all of my bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
I noticed how he did it too SkyJ. I did it like you but I like his way better. His way allows the second spring to take force from the front.

I had to use a clamp on mine to help. It still isn't as good.
That was my goal. Im not real concerned about a double leaf for the shackle end. I need it where the spring would be most susceptible to bending, which happens to be the frame end on my setup. i love how the waggy spring fits PERFECTLY inside an XJ spring for military wrap. Like it was meant to be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
Looks good!
Thanks again buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88RedWrangler View Post
shame on you sir....

you said this was "just another build thread"
Lying to us like that... this happens to be an exceptional build thread!!! Nice work man and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!
thanks for the kind words. I enjoy building it up and documenting everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Sweet mod. I was worried you wouldn't be ready for Windrock.
OH I'll be ready. Im only working on little things so that its still in wheelable status.

You find out if you'll be good for the whole weekend or just a day run?

Unread 05-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #491
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Backed the jeep out of the garage today and got a pic. I only ended up lowering the front end 2" but it looks even to me. Hopefully the lowered stance will help keep the jeep a little more stable.

This should hold me over until my winter plans for it.

heres a comparison picture. you can see it sit a little lower now.

before

After-it was starting to rain a little so the pic is a little fuzzy.

forumrunner_20130504_200431.jpg

Unread 05-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #492
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ
Backed the jeep out of the garage today and got a pic. I only ended up lowering the front end 2" but it looks even to me. Hopefully the lowered stance will help keep the jeep a little more stable.

This should hold me over until my winter plans for it.

it was starting to rain a little so the pic is a little fuzzy.
Looks even to me. Your ride is awesome. Wish I could get that stance. I'm goin with a rear stretch.
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #493
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Looks even to me. Your ride is awesome. Wish I could get that stance. I'm goin with a rear stretch.
Thanks man. How much of a rear stretch are you going with? Im only stretched 1" in the rear

Unread 05-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #494
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ

Thanks man. How much of a rear stretch are you going with? Im only stretched 1" in the rear
I'm at about a 2" now. I'm doin the xj spring stretch I think people are netting 6" or so.
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #495
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

So I recently decided that I'm going to start slowly collecting parts for what I hope to be my winter project. It all depends on if i collect all the parts and have the time this winter for the project.

I ordered the first piece last week and it showed up on my doorstep this afternoon. Im not going to reveal what I'm doing but will just post the bits and pieces slowly as i collect them. Its up to you guys to identify the parts and come up with what the project is. And if you figure it out dont spoil the secret

In other news I"ll be going to the Gulches this weekend for some well deserved wheeling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.