Just another YJ build... My version - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another YJ build... My version

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #466
yj_wrangler1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild
Damn!! You are hooked UP! I have 2 crescent wrenches, some broken old sockets I have picked up on the side of the road, a Harbor Freight grinder and a wire brush. Oh, and a couple hammers.

I am JEALOUS!!!

I also have Vegas's welder. Its being held hostage.
Thanks I plan on doing alot more to my rig when $$$ isn't holding me back. The deaver suspension and bilstein shocks will cost 1400 alone.

yj_wrangler1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #467
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just got back from Uwharrie last night. Had a great Bday weekend with some wheeling and camping.

Some of the trails are closed for the year due to some artifacts being found on the trail, so Uwharrie isn't as much fun now. There are really only 2 trails worth doing. And those 2 trails are still pretty easy. I think my next couple trips will be somewhere else. I want to try to hit Gulches, Windrock and maybe Harlen this yr. Only time will tell.

anyway here are some pics. Not a lot of pictures taken throughout the weekend.

Then I decided to give my GF a little time behind the wheel and give her a shot at her first time rockcrawling

here I am spotting her

Jessica concentrating

And finally all loaded up and ready to hit the road back home

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #468
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Glad the missus got some pedal time. I don't see any new dents, so I take it things went well.
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #469
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_wrangler1988 View Post
I have just started following your thread and love your rig. I am 16 and started off much like you did but I have a black 1988 yj 6cyl automatic. I have poison Spyder all around including front bumper, fenders front and rear, rock sliders and a steering box skid. My next move I was planning on doing Deaver progressive leaf springs all the way around along with bolstering shocks. I want your opinion on which way I should go with my build. I already have a Lincoln 220 migwelder
, plasma cutter, almost every saw you can think of. We own a bridgeport mill and a complete craftsman tool chest along with many specialty tools
You definitely have a head start over most people. At 16 to already have a hooked up jeep and all the tools you have available is a blessing. As far as your suspension i would just say it all depends on what you want to do with your rig. also how much the deavers are gonna run you. I know Deavers are well known for a good ride and flex but also expensive for what they are. I like the simplicity of leaves but at the end of the day i still know that i run a leaf sprung rig. Thats why all my leaf spring setups are junk yard bastard packs and so forth. If i plan to throw a lot of money into my suspension it wont be on leafs.

let me know if you have any more questions

Unread 04-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #470
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
Awesome! Glad the missus got some pedal time. I don't see any new dents, so I take it things went well.
Nope, no new dents. Things went real well. No breakages or anything. I was extremely happy with the way my jeep performed. The only thing I plan to do is lower it a little and try to wheel whenever possible. Thats kinda hard though when the closest place to wheel is 4 1/2 hrs away and im tired of wheeling there. so it looks like im gonna be traveling a lot more this yr for some trail time.

Unread 04-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #471
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

We need to hit up the pick n pull and grab the rest of those springs.
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #472
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

definitely. I might try to grab some XJ springs too. I want to pull some leafs from my packs now to lower it so im going to use an XJ main leaf as a double main leaf with military wrap.

Unread 04-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #473
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

needs more rocks.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #474
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
definitely. I might try to grab some XJ springs too. I want to pull some leafs from my packs now to lower it so im going to use an XJ main leaf as a double main leaf with military wrap.
I wanna see this. I love my different junk yard bastard packs. I'm about to make some pack clamps for my front springs. You should be interested in them. With the XJ leaves below the main we are still susceptible to warping our front mains while pushing into rocks or braking on descents. I hope these clamps prevent that by tying the XJ spring to the main as a true military wrap does to its secondary spring.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #475
yj_wrangler1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ

You definitely have a head start over most people. At 16 to already have a hooked up jeep and all the tools you have available is a blessing. As far as your suspension i would just say it all depends on what you want to do with your rig. also how much the deavers are gonna run you. I know Deavers are well known for a good ride and flex but also expensive for what they are. I like the simplicity of leaves but at the end of the day i still know that i run a leaf sprung rig. Thats why all my leaf spring setups are junk yard bastard packs and so forth. If i plan to throw a lot of money into my suspension it wont be on leafs.

let me know if you have any more questions
Thanks for the advice. Im not quite sure what I'm going to do. What is your current suspension setup?
yj_wrangler1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #476
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just got back from Uwharrie last night. Had a great Bday weekend with some wheeling and camping.

Some of the trails are closed for the year due to some artifacts being found on the trail, so Uwharrie isn't as much fun now. There are really only 2 trails worth doing. And those 2 trails are still pretty easy. I think my next couple trips will be somewhere else. I want to try to hit Gulches, Windrock and maybe Harlen this yr. Only time will tell.
You think going to Gulches or Windrock would be better in July? I have been to Gulches once and it was a lot of fun. My buddies and I are talking about making another run as the last one was a couple years ago. I've yet to explore Windrock enough. I may do more riding over there during the Summer since I'm so close. I am pretty certain I'll get a season pass when I go next.

Let me know what your wheeling schedule is for the next several months.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #477
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
Quote:

You think going to Gulches or Windrock would be better in July? I have been to Gulches once and it was a lot of fun. My buddies and I are talking about making another run as the last one was a couple years ago. I've yet to explore Windrock enough. I may do more riding over there during the Summer since I'm so close. I am pretty certain I'll get a season pass when I go next.

I'm down for gulches or windrock if we aren't going to uwharrie.
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #478
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
needs more rocks.
I agree. bring some rocks out here and we'll wheel them

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
I wanna see this. I love my different junk yard bastard packs. I'm about to make some pack clamps for my front springs. You should be interested in them. With the XJ leaves below the main we are still susceptible to warping our front mains while pushing into rocks or braking on descents. I hope these clamps prevent that by tying the XJ spring to the main as a true military wrap does to its secondary spring.
Id love to see what you come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_wrangler1988 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Im not quite sure what I'm going to do. What is your current suspension setup?
right now im running Waggy springs in the front and a bastard pack rear with stock springs and some Procomp springs. Thats about to change a little though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
I'm down for gulches or windrock if we aren't going to uwharrie.
Gulches or Windrock sounds good to me. Better than Uwharrie for right now. I shoudl still be good to go for July. If i become available sooner I'll let you know

Unread 04-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #479
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Gulches or Windrock sounds good to me. Better than Uwharrie for right now. I shoudl still be good to go for July. If i become available sooner I'll let you know
Sounds good. Keep us updated.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #480
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got the jeep all cleaned up yesterday

forumrunner_20130418_165930.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.