DAY TWO of crusher corner install
i was able to get lot more accomplished on my corner install today.
the first thing i started with is getting my wiring for my LED tail lights. i copied what pretty much everyone does. i cut the wires from the OEM tail light side so i could still use the disconnect harness. i took the LED wire and soldered them to the oem harness. i also picked up the EL12 flasher relay so they work correctly
heres the giant OEM tail light
and i snipped the harness off
new LED tail
here is how the wiring goes
~copied from Sebastian22 LED writeup~
Red----Black/Green---Brake / Blinker
got them soldered up and put some heat shrink over it
i also ordered some countersink stainless bolts that match the PoisonSpyder hardware for my rockers. i figured i could go ahead and get those installed as well.
here is what i originally mounted them with. just some standard Grade 8 hex heads
and the new stainless bolts
next i had to knock out a little bit of body work for the rear of my tub. i HATE body work. im just not good at it at all.
here is the damage that i am repairing
heres some progress after a couple coats of body filler
and heres my final coat. its not too perfect but its ok, i just wanted to close up the gap i little bit between the body armor and the tub.
i installed the armor again to check for fitment after the body armor and test the LEDs.
also test fit my stock TJ flares that i run. everntually i will upgrade to some Tubes for the rear. i just could justify the cost at this time
next i drilled the mounting holes for the flare
here the corner is bare
and a pic after i drilled the mounting holes
after i drilled the holes i cleaned up the corners with laquer thinner to prep for paint
and i hung them and started a coat of aluminum self etching primer
after a couple coats of primer i started to lay some gloss black paint
in between coats of paint i starting playing around with a way to mount my license plate. i wont be mounting it in the stock location.
what i came up with is something like what Genright sells
here is GenRights version
what i started with was some 1/8" plate
i traced the license plate and cut it out
next i found some scrap steel i had laying around.
i grabbed some 1.5x.250 Dom and some 1.75x.120 HREW.
the 1.5 fits right inside the 1.75
i welded the 1.5 DOM to the center of my tire carrier and the 1.75 HREW to the plate that the license plate mounts to
before i welded them up i drilled some holes in the tube to lock it in place. i used a standard hitch pin i had laying around to lock it in place but also make it removable to remove my spare tire.
and now its ready for a test fit. fits like a glove
i pulled the corners and layed em down for the night. ill add a couple more coats tomorrow and if i have time get everything installed.
and thats it for the night guys.