Just another YJ build... My version - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another YJ build... My version

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #181
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got back from Uwharrie last night. I had a great time.

I will get some pics up as soon as i get them from Zack. A couple things annoyed me over the weekend. Its the SAME things that annoy me everytime i wheel but for some reason i never fix it.

The first thing is I NEED to re-gear. Ive been running 3.55 gears on 35's . I already called a shop today and got a quote for a re-gear. The second thing is I need a rear locker. I can climb obstacles no problem with my locker in the front but as soon as my rear hits i start bouncing and cant get any traction.

Both of those things will be addressed before the next time I go out.

I did have some carnage over the weekend. I snapped the yoke on my AA SYE. afterwards I just pulled the rear driveshaft and limped back to the trailer.

I made a call today to AdvanceAdapters and they are making it right. Randy at AA said that there is no reason I should have had a failure. They are sending me a new yoke for free. Ive been running this SYE for 2 yrs and they are still going to warranty it. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE

On a side note today I decided to tackle the Sway-A-Way coilovers on my truck.

The truck looks level in this pic but its not. I need to crank the coilovers for about 1-2" more lift in the front.

Well Thats all I have for now.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #182
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey man u r using a cut down xj shaft right? My mechanic noticed when he regeared mine a few weeks ago that the ears at the top of the DS didn't fit in between the yoke at full droop...They touched causing it to bind and possible break. You might want to droop test urs n see if they hit the yoke like mine did, I had to grind quite a bit off of the outside ears around the ujoints to make sure mine cleared without touching the yoke. Not saying that was ur issue here cuz I have no idea what u were doin when it happened but u might wanna check to make sure just in case. I figure mine can't be the only one out there that doesn't fit since so many people have used an xj shaft but I've never heard of ne1 else having the same problem as me until possibly now mayb haha
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #183
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
Hey man u r using a cut down xj shaft right? My mechanic noticed when he regeared mine a few weeks ago that the ears at the top of the DS didn't fit in between the yoke at full droop...They touched causing it to bind and possible break. You might want to droop test urs n see if they hit the yoke like mine did, I had to grind quite a bit off of the outside ears around the ujoints to make sure mine cleared without touching the yoke. Not saying that was ur issue here cuz I have no idea what u were doin when it happened but u might wanna check to make sure just in case. I figure mine can't be the only one out there that doesn't fit since so many people have used an xj shaft but I've never heard of ne1 else having the same problem as me until possibly now mayb haha

Hmmm... I never thought of that. When i get the new yoke installed i will do i droop test like you mentioned.

Thanks for the heads up

Unread 09-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #184
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

x2 what PA_YJ19 said..

Also make sure the bolts holding the driveshaft to the yoke arent too long and bottoming out on the cv when its drooped. I'd slap a detroit in the back while its getting regeared
Unread 09-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #185
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94 View Post
x2 what PA_YJ19 said..

Also make sure the bolts holding the driveshaft to the yoke arent too long and bottoming out on the cv when its drooped. I'd slap a detroit in the back while its getting regeared
I know the bolts aren't too long. I will be doing a lot of droop tests when i get the new yoke on. I dont want it to happen again.

AS for a rear locker. I was thinking about just throwing a spartan in the rear. I have one in the front and love it. Never had problems with it

Unread 09-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #186
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I called Lynn, left a message. Once I hear back I will let you know
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #187
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
I called Lynn, left a message. Once I hear back I will let you know
thank you.

I have some thoughts running through my head. Im thinking that I'll pull the axle to get regeared.....

Then it all goes down hill....

I want to stretch my rear a little bit. So im thinking some waggy springs. that'll put me at about 100". in order to stretch though I'll have to re-set my pinion angle. so I'm thinking while im already re-setting my pinion angle I'll get my trans as high as i can. By "as high as I can" i mean cutting the tunnel to get a flat skid. in order to do that i'll get a 1" MML. In order to stretch the rear 2-3" I'll have to dimple my gas tank. Then build a new traction bar.

So my build list that Im contemplating doing is

-Regear 8.8
-lock 8.8
-regear and install Joe Dillards old Trussed Vac delete D30
-stretch rear 2-3"
-dimple gas tank
-cut all brackets off 8.8 and re-set pinion, shocks, traction bar ect
-build new traction bar
-Flat skid
-Cut into trans tunnel and weld in new sheet metal
-1" brown dog MML
-install new trans output yoke
-hope my rear driveshaft will fit with the stretch

Does this all seem too much? am i just never satisfied?

What do you all think?

Unread 09-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #188
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinkin I'm in the wrong line of work lol. But you do have a pretty well equipped shop. Welders cutting bending etc. etc. .... So all you're paying for is parts and the regear ? Sounds like lots of fun. Keep us updated. !!!
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #189
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I'm thinkin I'm in the wrong line of work lol. But you do have a pretty well equipped shop. Welders cutting bending etc. etc. .... So all you're paying for is parts and the regear ? Sounds like lots of fun. Keep us updated. !!!
Im just working out of a 2 car garage. I feel the investment in tools pays off way more than paying someone to do the job for you once.

and yes all i would be paying for is parts and regear. i could do the re-gear myself just dont feel like it. i really dont think i have the patience to do a re-gear. everything else i will do myself though

Unread 09-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #190
RogueFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Im just working out of a 2 car garage. I feel the investment in tools pays off way more than paying someone to do the job for you once.

and yes all i would be paying for is parts and regear. i could do the re-gear myself just dont feel like it. i really dont think i have the patience to do a re-gear. everything else i will do myself though
I couldn't agree more!
[URL="https://www.RogueFab.com"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL]
RogueFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #191
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Damn, you are finally gonna do it! Like i said, I will happily trade you for the 3.55 running gear......

Anything else you need from me; gimme a call!
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #192
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post

you shouldve taken it over to border parts before you left... I can't believe you survived on 3.55s for this long....

although you do like the skinny pedal so its probably helped you
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #193
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
you shouldve taken it over to border parts before you left... I can't believe you survived on 3.55s for this long....

although you do like the skinny pedal so its probably helped you
Before i left SD i was more concerned about getting everything i own safely across the country.

And the skinny pedal is the only thing that helps me. also hinders me sometimes too oh well

Unread 09-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #194
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well i did some boring but important work on the jeep today.

I figured while Im waiting on some parts in the mail I would reorganize my tool box that sits in the back of my jeep.

I acquired a Pelican case from work that I plan on replacing my old box with.

Here's my old setup. Its just a box that I bought over in Iraq to send all my gear home in.

and removed from the jeep

You can see I need a little more organization

Heres most everything removed. Its missing a couple things I need to replace from my last couple trips.

I also bought a few new things. A pneumatic cutoff wheel, mini hack saw, some more zip ties and a couple more adjustable wrenches.

And here is the new box. Its a lot deeper and just overall bigger.

Plenty of room. I can also break it up into sections for more organization.

It even has storage on the inside of the lid for little things. This will really come in handy

Heres everything installed. I have so much more room now. Its not even half full yet.

Now I need to go out and buy more stuff. Mainly some more important fluid.

Unread 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #195
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

today i decided to add a hand/thumb throttle. 3 footing it while wheeling gets a little old. haha

I went to local bike shop and got a gear shifter and cable for $8. I tore to shifter apart so that it no longer clicks, I want as soon as i release it for it to spring back to idle.

Heres a pic of it mounted. No write up as this has been done numerous times

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.