Just another Mercedes OM617 to yj conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another Mercedes OM617 to yj conversion

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Jenyus425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just another Mercedes OM617 to yj conversion

so i figured I would do a build thread because each of the build threads that i read through when planning this conversion offered some different piece of advice that has been helpful to me and i hope that I can help someone else out.

So heres what's going on:

My wife's 93 YJ, which is now mostly an offroad toy, but also the spare car if one of our others die, has been a great rig so far. It has the 4.0 HO, ax-15, np231, dana 44 front w/ detroit, GM 14 bolt rear w/ govlock, Toyo MT 38x14.5x16s.

It's been great but, sadly the head gasket popped on us recently and I figured it was time for a change. I put a turbo diesel in my samurai and i love it so i figured i would us the head gasket as an excuse to put one in her jeep as well.

I also decided this was a good time to switch things up in the drivetrain. I picked this up for $100

mostly for this:

I'll be swapping the AX-15 input shaft into the Toyota r150 and then putting a single toyota transfercase with trail creeper 4.7 gears in it. I thought about dual cases, but her rear driveline is already short and i think that 4.7's should be fine for her.

I picked up this very well maintained 1980 300SD for $500 and drove it home

First things first

then on to more important things

The 300SD's current state

next is to make a little bit more room

called in a buddy for some help

tore off the intake and exhaust manifolds, the turbo and the valve cover to do some cleanup and adjustments.

about as clean as its going to get

painted it with some flat black header paint, looks much better than rust colored

EGR delete

valves adjusted, everything painted and cleaned up (except for my garage floor)

Thats about where i'm at right now, im waiting on trying to track down a used trail gear v6 adapter for my tcase.

Jenyus425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Jenyus425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have spring break coming up in the next couple weeks so im hoping to get everything done and wrapped up by then
Unread 03-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a buddy running a Volkswagen TDI with a Toyota drivetrain. The thing is sick. I like where you are going.
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Jenyus425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Once you go diesel it's hard to go back. And if my calculations are right I should be getting almost 20mpg when I'm done. And when I'm ready for more power, ican ship the injection pump to Finland and for $2k they'll build it rated for 500hp. I can do that; put a bigger turbo and a supercharger on and have up to 500hp and about 900lb ft of torque out of an engine that weighs 600lbs
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Jenyus425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

waiting on my v6 adapter plate, so havent been able to do much.

pulled out all the vacuum lines and ghetto wiring from previous owner.

got started on my new motor mounts. cut them out of 1/2" steel. will weld brackets on them to attach to bushings on frame side mount. using 2"x.250" DOM tubing and 3/4" grade 8 bolts for the motor mounts, should be strong enough i think.

also mounted the turbo. sticking with a stock, non intercooled turbo for now.

Unread 04-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Jenyus425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

took a break from the hard stuff and got my speedomoter set up. its from a 77 toyota.
seems to have worked!

77 toyota speedomeeter on righ jeep on left. they have almost exactly the same speed range so it should work perfectly.

mechanisms similar in size

looks factory! only difference is the yota doesnt have a trip meter, so i covered up the other slot. I clamped the two together and redrilled the jeep face for the toyota holes. everything is toyota except for the face

cant even tell

back dremeled out

Unread 04-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Jenyus425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

toyota r150 with ax-15 input shaft, trail gear v6 adapter plate and gear drive transfercase with trail gear 4.7:1 gears. thought about doing a doubler but just dont have the room

tranny and case in

unistrut mounted to skid plate threaded holes temporarily for mockup, im going to do a flat belly skid plate when im done

engine in, havent built the motor mounts yet, supported on wood blocks to get the height right. looks like it was made for it.

r150 tailhousing has the shifter further back, unfortunately. was hoping i could push the motor forward a bit more, but i dont really have any more room. gonna have to cut the cup holders off the tuffy to accommodate the tcase shifter.

Unread 04-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
sag

i want to do this with my jeep soon.
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

very cool
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #11
Jenyus425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys!
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #12
Jenyus425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

been a crazy last few weeks with work, school and my turbo diesel samurai crawler but i made some progress tonight.

built the frame side motor mount bracket out of 1/2" steel, overkill, i know, but id rather be overkill than have to worry about it at all.

engine side mount. 2"x.250" DOM tubing. you can see a boogered the top left hole, gonna weld up the other hole. Braced with 1/4" flat stock. again, i think this is all overkill, but better safe than sorry.

about as clean as i can get the welds with a 110v welder and flux core wire. I used flux core on the mounts for better penetration at the expense of pretty.

thats where I'm at now. heres a list of things i need to finish before its on the road.

-rewire fuel pump
-put gauge cluster back in
-add boost gauge
-swap front 44 for my other passenger drop 44 and move the gears, locker and knuckles over
-driver side motor mount
-pull motor back out to put clutch back on and burn in frame side brackets
-radiator hoses
-fuel lines
-fuel pressure regulator
-drain gas from tank and fill with diesel
-build skidplate
-cut down front driveline
-send rear driveline off to be lengthened and balanced.
-exhaust

I'm thinking i'm about a month out with everything that i've got going on right now. sucks not having it ready though with this nice weather we've been having out here.
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
Jenyus425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sag View Post
i want to do this with my jeep soon.
its a great swap! just make sure you can deal with smog for your state. CA won't let you pass smog with an older engine than the model year of the vehicle it was put in. i've basically doomed the jeep to never being sold, but i'm okay with that. she loves the jeep so i dont think we would ever get rid of it, i'll just keep building it until its eventually green stickered and then it won't matter.
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
sag

luckily in PA most diesels are emissions exempt.
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
Jenyus425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sag View Post
luckily in PA most diesels are emissions exempt.
they are here in CA too, up to 1998. but CA DMV won't let you register a vehicle if they know that the engine swapped in is older than the model year of the vehicle. so to prove to them that its diesel, they would have to know that its an older engine and then i can't register it. CA sucks, basically.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.