Just another LJ build - Page 90 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1336 of 4124 Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 PM
clintrivera
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
You dont see too many J trucks around here anymore , they are a peculiar breed but I like having them . I hadnt considered hot rodding one , as I use them as tractor/work trucks . But a 401 and built auto would be a lot of fun.

No worries on the patch panel , hopefully you can get it stitched in place in time to get to Northridge's get together . Thanks for the springs , hopefully they will give me enough room to sneak some 35s under the Jeep .

Havent gotten much else done as I have been on tree clean up duty since I got back from the trip . Still trying to decide between 4.88s and 5.13s , I dont run the Jeep past 65 so top end isnt a factor .
Also narrowing the tire selection down . 35x12.5x15 is the size I am going to run as I already have beadlocks . The General red letters , BFG KM2s , BFG Krawlers and Cooper STTs all look good with similar prices but I am not familiar with any of them as all I have run over the last 15 years have been Iroks , MTRs and the Destination MTs I have now .
As with most Jeeps theres still a lot I want to do , just need the time and money to make it happen .
There is not a lot of difference between 4.88 and 5.13. It's not as critical with your 4 to 1 transfer case but if you are only doing 65 max I would go 5.13.

I've ran the KM2's. Good tire, weak sidewall and they get noisy when they wear. I hear the STT's are nice. I wouldn't run a Krawler on the street.

Any issues with your beadlocks on the street?

Time and money. It sure seems that's what these Jeeps run on.

clintrivera is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1337 of 4124 Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,577
General red letters suck for rocks, my buddy had them. They are really heavy too. I ran the STT's for about 20k miles and they had 50% tread left. They are an awesome tire! KM2's are notorious for weak sidewalls and run small. And I wouldn't put Krawlers on a rig that gets driven on the street often.

Out of what you listed you just can't go wrong with the STT's. I've only put about 700 miles on my MTR's but they seem to grip a little better. Time will tell which one I end up liking better.
Moabrubi is offline  
post #1338 of 4124 Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 PM
bobthetj03
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,272
X2 on the STT's. I've clocked 7k on mine so far, and other than them being a bit noisy on the freeway, they have performed flawlessly! I can't believe how well they grip on wet pavement for an MT!

Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline  
post #1339 of 4124 Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
There is not a lot of difference between 4.88 and 5.13. It's not as critical with your 4 to 1 transfer case but if you are only doing 65 max I would go 5.13.
Sort of my train of thought , and I would rather have a little too much gear than not enough .
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
I've ran the KM2's. Good tire, weak sidewall and they get noisy when they wear. I hear the STT's are nice. I wouldn't run a Krawler on the street.
The STTs are getting good reviews , still have some reading to do .
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Any issues with your beadlocks on the street?
None really , just check the bolts for tightness a few times a year .
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Time and money. It sure seems that's what these Jeeps run on.
And I always seem to have one or the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
General red letters suck for rocks, my buddy had them. They are really heavy too. I ran the STT's for about 20k miles and they had 50% tread left. They are an awesome tire! KM2's are notorious for weak sidewalls and run small. And I wouldn't put Krawlers on a rig that gets driven on the street often.

Out of what you listed you just can't go wrong with the STT's. I've only put about 700 miles on my MTR's but they seem to grip a little better. Time will tell which one I end up liking better.
From what I have read here and on the net the STT's sound like a good overall tire .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
X2 on the STT's. I've clocked 7k on mine so far, and other than them being a bit noisy on the freeway, they have performed flawlessly! I can't believe how well they grip on wet pavement for an MT!
Good to read another positive review of the STT's , I still want to read up on them a little more .

What did y'all end up paying for the STT's .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #1340 of 4124 Old 06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Sundowner
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,408
You're going with a mud-terrain, for sure?

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline  
post #1341 of 4124 Old 06-25-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
You're going with a mud-terrain, for sure?
I am leaning that direction just because its all I have ever run .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #1342 of 4124 Old 06-25-2013, 02:14 PM
bobthetj03
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,272
I wish Cooper made the AT3 in more sizes. That would be a great combo tire.

Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline  
post #1343 of 4124 Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
I wish Cooper made the AT3 in more sizes. That would be a great combo tire.

Cooper STT

Cooper AT3

I like the look of the STT more , but I bet that the AT3 is quiet .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #1344 of 4124 Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 PM
jforse
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Duluth
Posts: 2,009
STT is a great all around tire. I will be getting Nittos or those STTs. Both are great multi use mt tires.

1997 TJ - Build in process.
2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.7HO
jforse is offline  
post #1345 of 4124 Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
STT is a great all around tire. I will be getting Nittos or those STTs. Both are great multi use mt tires.
I am not having much luck finding pricing on the STT's , tomorrow when I get the LJ inspected I will ask my local shop what their cost would be . No Nittos for me , I dont want to add a stack to my LJ .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #1346 of 4124 Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle
Posts: 4,897
The STTs are a good tire. Same sidewall and outer tread as a MTZ, and I love my MTZs. They should work well for you.
Jankoid is offline  
post #1347 of 4124 Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Redneck92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Midland
Posts: 47
You ought to look at the Nitto trail grapplers, my buddy has ran them from NC to Moab and all over URE and Harlan. They are quiet and work really well on anything, very tuff tire(in an e load).

86 4Runner "The Turtle" - 22RE 5spd, duals, Dana 60, 14 Bolt SAS on jackstands
02 Tacoma - 3.4 5spd TRD

Carolina Trailblazers
Redneck92 is offline  
post #1348 of 4124 Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
The STTs are a good tire. Same sidewall and outer tread as a MTZ, and I love my MTZs. They should work well for you.
Thats good to know . I did read today that Cooper has been purchased by an Indian tire company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
You ought to look at the Nitto trail grapplers, my buddy has ran them from NC to Moab and all over URE and Harlan. They are quiet and work really well on anything, very tuff tire(in an e load).
I dont see where they offer a 35 in a 15 inch rim size ? And the 33 is $250 a piece which means the 35 is more ... I will add it to the list to ask my local shop about tomorrow .


The yard is almost back to normal , by tomorrow night I will be back to working on the jeep tub trailer .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #1349 of 4124 Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle
Posts: 4,897
I'm pretty sure Cooper and Mickey Thompson are owned by the same people. Don't know about the Indian thing, but pretty much any tire you can buy is gonna be made overseas. Dont worry too much about it.
Jankoid is offline  
post #1350 of 4124 Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I'm pretty sure Cooper and Mickey Thompson are owned by the same people. Don't know about the Indian thing, but pretty much any tire you can buy is gonna be made overseas. Dont worry too much about it.
Your Pitbulls are made in the USA , too bad they would shake my teeth out on the trip to the trail The MTZ is a nice looking tire , but they are expensive ! Of course none of the other tires are cheap .Sadly the cheapest is the Grabber and it doesnt have the best reviews .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
Reply

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , jeep-owner.com , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Jeep Build: Minty White Country XJ Build GTEIS300 Jeep Builds 34 01-20-2013 10:42 AM
2000 TJ Build - LCG First Time Build japete01 Jeep Builds 82 06-07-2012 09:50 PM
my build up 98 TJ frumpy Jeep Builds 34 10-05-2011 10:17 PM
my 2.5 build up Sh4dowRac3r Jeep Builds 24 02-13-2008 10:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome