Just another LJ build - Page 90 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #1336
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
You dont see too many J trucks around here anymore , they are a peculiar breed but I like having them . I hadnt considered hot rodding one , as I use them as tractor/work trucks . But a 401 and built auto would be a lot of fun.

No worries on the patch panel , hopefully you can get it stitched in place in time to get to Northridge's get together . Thanks for the springs , hopefully they will give me enough room to sneak some 35s under the Jeep .

Havent gotten much else done as I have been on tree clean up duty since I got back from the trip . Still trying to decide between 4.88s and 5.13s , I dont run the Jeep past 65 so top end isnt a factor .
Also narrowing the tire selection down . 35x12.5x15 is the size I am going to run as I already have beadlocks . The General red letters , BFG KM2s , BFG Krawlers and Cooper STTs all look good with similar prices but I am not familiar with any of them as all I have run over the last 15 years have been Iroks , MTRs and the Destination MTs I have now .
As with most Jeeps theres still a lot I want to do , just need the time and money to make it happen .
There is not a lot of difference between 4.88 and 5.13. It's not as critical with your 4 to 1 transfer case but if you are only doing 65 max I would go 5.13.

I've ran the KM2's. Good tire, weak sidewall and they get noisy when they wear. I hear the STT's are nice. I wouldn't run a Krawler on the street.

Any issues with your beadlocks on the street?

Time and money. It sure seems that's what these Jeeps run on.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #1337
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

General red letters suck for rocks, my buddy had them. They are really heavy too. I ran the STT's for about 20k miles and they had 50% tread left. They are an awesome tire! KM2's are notorious for weak sidewalls and run small. And I wouldn't put Krawlers on a rig that gets driven on the street often.

Out of what you listed you just can't go wrong with the STT's. I've only put about 700 miles on my MTR's but they seem to grip a little better. Time will tell which one I end up liking better.
Moabrubi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #1338
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on the STT's. I've clocked 7k on mine so far, and other than them being a bit noisy on the freeway, they have performed flawlessly! I can't believe how well they grip on wet pavement for an MT!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #1339
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
There is not a lot of difference between 4.88 and 5.13. It's not as critical with your 4 to 1 transfer case but if you are only doing 65 max I would go 5.13.
Sort of my train of thought , and I would rather have a little too much gear than not enough .
Quote:
I've ran the KM2's. Good tire, weak sidewall and they get noisy when they wear. I hear the STT's are nice. I wouldn't run a Krawler on the street.
The STTs are getting good reviews , still have some reading to do .
Quote:
Any issues with your beadlocks on the street?
None really , just check the bolts for tightness a few times a year .
Quote:
Time and money. It sure seems that's what these Jeeps run on.
And I always seem to have one or the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
General red letters suck for rocks, my buddy had them. They are really heavy too. I ran the STT's for about 20k miles and they had 50% tread left. They are an awesome tire! KM2's are notorious for weak sidewalls and run small. And I wouldn't put Krawlers on a rig that gets driven on the street often.

Out of what you listed you just can't go wrong with the STT's. I've only put about 700 miles on my MTR's but they seem to grip a little better. Time will tell which one I end up liking better.
From what I have read here and on the net the STT's sound like a good overall tire .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
X2 on the STT's. I've clocked 7k on mine so far, and other than them being a bit noisy on the freeway, they have performed flawlessly! I can't believe how well they grip on wet pavement for an MT!
Good to read another positive review of the STT's , I still want to read up on them a little more .

What did y'all end up paying for the STT's .
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #1340
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You're going with a mud-terrain, for sure?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #1341
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
You're going with a mud-terrain, for sure?
I am leaning that direction just because its all I have ever run .
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #1342
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wish Cooper made the AT3 in more sizes. That would be a great combo tire.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #1343
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
I wish Cooper made the AT3 in more sizes. That would be a great combo tire.

Cooper STT

Cooper AT3

I like the look of the STT more , but I bet that the AT3 is quiet .
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #1344
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

STT is a great all around tire. I will be getting Nittos or those STTs. Both are great multi use mt tires.
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #1345
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
STT is a great all around tire. I will be getting Nittos or those STTs. Both are great multi use mt tires.
I am not having much luck finding pricing on the STT's , tomorrow when I get the LJ inspected I will ask my local shop what their cost would be . No Nittos for me , I dont want to add a stack to my LJ .
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #1346
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The STTs are a good tire. Same sidewall and outer tread as a MTZ, and I love my MTZs. They should work well for you.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #1347
Redneck92

You ought to look at the Nitto trail grapplers, my buddy has ran them from NC to Moab and all over URE and Harlan. They are quiet and work really well on anything, very tuff tire(in an e load).

Carolina Trailblazers
Redneck92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #1348
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
The STTs are a good tire. Same sidewall and outer tread as a MTZ, and I love my MTZs. They should work well for you.
Thats good to know . I did read today that Cooper has been purchased by an Indian tire company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
You ought to look at the Nitto trail grapplers, my buddy has ran them from NC to Moab and all over URE and Harlan. They are quiet and work really well on anything, very tuff tire(in an e load).
I dont see where they offer a 35 in a 15 inch rim size ? And the 33 is $250 a piece which means the 35 is more ... I will add it to the list to ask my local shop about tomorrow .

The yard is almost back to normal , by tomorrow night I will be back to working on the jeep tub trailer .
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #1349
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure Cooper and Mickey Thompson are owned by the same people. Don't know about the Indian thing, but pretty much any tire you can buy is gonna be made overseas. Dont worry too much about it.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #1350
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I'm pretty sure Cooper and Mickey Thompson are owned by the same people. Don't know about the Indian thing, but pretty much any tire you can buy is gonna be made overseas. Dont worry too much about it.
Your Pitbulls are made in the USA , too bad they would shake my teeth out on the trip to the trail The MTZ is a nice looking tire , but they are expensive ! Of course none of the other tires are cheap .Sadly the cheapest is the Grabber and it doesnt have the best reviews .

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.