Just another LJ build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #121
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just finished welding the rear bumper and much to my dismay it has pulled . I ran too much bead at one time and the result is a slightly warped bumper . I am going to put it in the 40 ton press and see if I can get it close to true ... pics to follow .

Unread 05-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #122
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Receiver in and welded up .

Metal plate all cut and fitted .

It took two passes to fill the gap , sure made for a lot of grinding .

Installed ! It took 30 tons of well applied pressure and I was able to spring the bumper back into place .

Tie in brackets fitted and welded . I will get them installed when I get back home at the end of the week .
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #123
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good job on your tie-in brackets. When i bought my 03 Sahara it had some after market heavy duty bumper with D rings....and when i installed the 2" trailer hitch in it, saw the thing flex on my frame. Turns out it was just bolted to the rear cross-member by 4- 3/8" bolts....
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #124
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wish I could take credit for the brackets, but all I did was weld them up. They are A to Z tie ins, and they fit perfectly. I am going to make the inner ones myself, and they will be similar.
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #125
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Picking up my new cv rear shaft in the morning.Time to tilt the pinion...sure wish I had the savvy rear uppers.
Hopefully it will be perfect on the first try hahaha
Unread 05-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #126
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Picking up my new cv rear shaft in the morning.Time to tilt the pinion...sure wish I had the savvy rear uppers.
Hopefully it will be perfect on the first try hahaha
I did it the other way round, Savvy rear uppers first. I almost got rid of the driveshaft buzz from the lift. Driveshaft is next
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #127
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Brit View Post
I did it the other way round, Savvy rear uppers first. I almost got rid of the driveshaft buzz from the lift. Driveshaft is next
He has adjustable rear uppers (JKS), he is just lamenting that he doesnt have double adjustable arms like Savvy. If he doesnt get his pinion set correctly on the first try he will have to pull the arms down again to adjust them.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #128
Tripwire21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

G,

The LJ is looking rad! I am sure its nice to sit back and admire the work "you" have done to your jeep. It would be nice to have that set of skill. Mine however are a little different haha and not to many people find them useful in the states...I need another line of work! Keep it up man. Also we need to spend a day at uwharrie! I am dying to get out of the flats of Charleston and into some rolling hills.
Unread 05-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #129
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
He has adjustable rear uppers (JKS), he is just lamenting that he doesnt have double adjustable arms like Savvy. If he doesnt get his pinion set correctly on the first try he will have to pull the arms down again to adjust them.
Gotcha, didn't see that. Here's hoping he gets it right first time then cos that would be a pain.
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #130
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Exactly , I am sure the angle will be dead on first try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwire21 View Post
G,

The LJ is looking rad! I am sure its nice to sit back and admire the work "you" have done to your jeep. It would be nice to have that set of skill. Mine however are a little different haha and not to many people find them useful in the states...I need another line of work! Keep it up man. Also we need to spend a day at uwharrie! I am dying to get out of the flats of Charleston and into some rolling hills.
If theres a TEOTWAWKI event your skills will be worth their weight in gold As to fab skills , its all from practicing over the years and learning as I go . Get a small welder and give it a whirl , you will surprised at how quickly you can learn .

I would love to have a Uwharrie weekend , Arrowhead campground is calling my name . If all works out as I think it will I should be in Moab with my Jeep in three weeks . When I get back I will make an effort to get down to Uwharrie for a weekend .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Brit View Post
Gotcha, didn't see that. Here's hoping he gets it right first time then cos that would be a pain.
I am going to set the frame at ride level on jackstands then set the axles on jackstands . I hope to be able to dial the pinion in without too much of a fight .
Unread 05-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #131
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

New rear 1350 CV with long splines from Carolina Driveline out of Spartanburg S.C. I was working in the area and I called them on Wednesday and this was ready for me Friday morning . Harry was awesome to deal with and even rebuilt my stock shaft while I was there .

Rebuilt now fully serviceable front . It also got a new slip and splines as the old one was worn out . I have been having an odd whirling noise for a while and I hadnt figured it out . Harry pulled the front and I went off to BoJangles for a biscuit . As soon as I got to speed there was no more whirling noise. By the time I pulled into BoJangles Harry was calling me to tell me the shaft needed more than a new CV center . In 45 minutes he had it completley rebuilt and ready for me to go . Fantastic service , great price and a fellow Jeeper .

Last but not least is the new hood stickers are on . I still have to get the cowl section installed , but they should be here next week . This is the third version of this sticker , and I think its a keeper .

As mentioned above it looks like I am going to Utah for work and this time I am going to drive the LJ out so that I can wheel after work and spend a few weeks wheeling through Utah and Colorado on the way back . I have to get the cage completed and the steering fixed . The cage is mostly bent up and ready to be welded , the steering is still out of stock at Savvy . I am considering beefing up the stock stuff for now and getting the Savvy stuff later . I am off for two weeks , hopefully I can get everything ready in time and still spend some time with my wife and kids .
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #132
04ljunlimited
2004 LJ Wrangler 

wooooow GREAT. build!!! I really like the front bumper and ci style grille
[FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/04-lj-unlimited-budget-hopefully-1334608/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/04-lj-unlimited-budget-hopefully-1334608/[/URL][/SIZE][/FONT]
04ljunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #133
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The rig looks great man. Keep up the good work.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #134
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ljunlimited View Post
wooooow GREAT. build!!! I really like the front bumper and ci style grille
Thanks , I have some more retro goodness for it now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
The rig looks great man. Keep up the good work.
Thanks , still a ways to go to be ready for Utah .

More retro for the LJ ...
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #135
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got the new front driveshaft in with no issues , so I decided to move on to the rear . The new u bolt style yoke went on with no problem , so far so good .

Then came my pinion adjusting Hades . I set ( or so I thought ) the ride height on the frame and the axle . Then I kept one jack under the center section as a safety and one under the pinion to slowly adjust the pinion angle up .

All went well and I hit the magic # of 14 degrees . In addition to the magic # the center line of the pinion pointed dead center at the transfer case output . I decided to set it back on the tires and double check the angle before I snugged everything up . Sadly it was at 12.5 degrees .

For tonight it sits as is , but I will finish up the pinion adjustment tomorrow morning and get the 1350 CV installed . The old shaft had a LOT of play in the slip , I was quite surprised at how loose it was .

More to come tomorrow ... my 1.75 .120 wall dom is at the steel shop waiting to be picked up .

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.