Just another LJ build - Page 84 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #1246
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Where did you buy this Macs cold air?
From Mac over on Rubicon Owners Forum . He has different sales advertised in the for sale section . I had my doubts , but I am consistently seeing better mileage . I will keep adding info as I head East .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
That's a good way to get him to do things, it seems. I'm going to start using that.
Just tell me that you know where theres a nice J Truck stepside bed near you

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #1247
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

We drove through Rocky Mountain National Park today and it was incredible. Heres a few pictures of the park and the LJ on the way across .

Thats it from today . Headed North to Wyoming tomorrow afternoon after a visit to Ruger Trailers .

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #1248
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That is beautiful country!
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #1249
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Those are amazing pictures. One of the primary reasons for building my Jeep is to go to places like that and snap pictures.

What are you shooting with?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #1250
taterhed
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am so jealous. Nicest pics....make me want to leave today. Of course, my boss would hate that.

On the build ideas.....

A nice link just popped up in the for sale section.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...s-etc-1535941/

Fully Built Rubicon 44 Rear Axle. ARB, Alloys, Etc

$1,600.00

Rear axle, ready to go!

This axle has:
•ARB locker
•Alloy USA 4.88 gears
•Alloy USA chromoly axle shafts
•Clayton 4 link truss
•Rock Crusher diff cover

I ran this with coilovers, but you could put the spring pad on and it would be ready for springs and shocks.

Ready for pick up or I can ship on buyer's dime.

$1600

Last edited by taterhed; 06-13-2013 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: add desc
taterhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #1251
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterhed View Post
I am so jealous. Nicest pics....make me want to leave today. Of course, my boss would hate that.

On the build ideas.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...s-etc-1535941/

Fully Built Rubicon 44 Rear Axle. ARB, Alloys, Etc

$1,600.00

Rear axle, ready to go!

This axle has:
•ARB locker
•Alloy USA 4.88 gears
•Alloy USA chromoly axle shafts
•Clayton 4 link truss
•Rock Crusher diff cover

I ran this with coilovers, but you could put the spring pad on and it would be ready for springs and shocks.

Ready for pick up or I can ship on buyer's dime.

$1600
Here are my thoughts on Redlyner's axle:

I wouldn't want a used axle out of a race Jeep. That thing has been abused beyond it's limit. It's probably bent. I've personally seen Jay jump his Jeep (all 4 tires off the ground) in a race when he was running that axle. Considering the rubi 44 (which is what that housing used to be) has the same tubes as a d35, they are easy to bend. Heck, my rubi 44 was bent when I got it and it came out of a dedicated mall crawler. Imagine the state of that axle considering what it was used for. It could also have other possible issues like a stress fractured ring and pinion, twisted shafts, etc. I would consider it unreliable at best, but that's just me.

However, considering he could easily offload his stock rubi axle for $1000+ around here, he'd only be in it for $600.

It already has 4.88s, and I doubt G will ever break a d44 8.5" ring gear, but let's say he does. That axle won't accept the 8.8" JK gears like G is wanting to do as the Jana kit requires a thick cut carrier, and that ARB most likely isn't.

That truss won't work with his stock suspension, that can be fixed with some stock bracketry though.

I personally don't think it is a good fit for him...
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #1252
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sick views and pictures, GB.
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #1253
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post

I wouldn't want a used axle out of a race Jeep. That thing has been abused beyond it's limit. It's probably bent. I've personally seen Jay jump his Jeep (all 4 tires off the ground) in a race when he was running that axle. Considering the rubi 44 (which is what that housing used to be) has the same tubes as a d35, they are easy to bend. Heck, my rubi 44 was bent when I got it and it came out of a dedicated mall crawler. Imagine the state of that axle considering what it was used for. It could also have other possible issues like a stress fractured ring and pinion, twisted shafts, etc. I would consider it unreliable at best, but that's just me.

However, considering he could easily offload his stock rubi axle for $1000+ around here, he'd only be in it for $600.

It already has 4.88s, and I doubt G will ever break a d44 8.5" ring gear, but let's say he does. That axle won't accept the 8.8" JK gears like G is wanting to do as the Jana kit requires a thick cut carrier, and that ARB most likely isn't.

That truss won't work with his stock suspension, that can be fixed with some stock bracketry though.

For someone that's not going to have to do much work in order to get that axle underneath their rig, it would probably be a good buy...even if the housing is tweaked. I think that getting rid of the truss, etc, makes it not-the-best choice, here. I'd either build the rear 44 a piece at a time, or consider going this route.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #1254
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would never consider building a JK axle, especially at the price he is asking. I consider JK44s to be a turd (no need to start debating Clint ) and the rear JK axle is only good if you are swapping in a front JK44. He'd be better off buying that used ARB I posted about earlier and regearing with the Jana kit. Cost would be similar to buying that axle and selling his current, and he'd have a better locker, chromos, matching width, and matching bolt pattern.
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #1255
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would never consider building a JK axle, especially at the price he is asking. I consider JK44s to be a turd (no need to start debating Clint ) and the rear JK axle is only good if you are swapping in a front JK44. He'd be better off buying that used ARB I posted about earlier and regearing with the Jana kit. Cost would be similar to buying that axle and selling his current, and he'd have a better locker, chromos, matching width, and matching bolt pattern.
Not that I'm trying to start a debate or anything, but that's probably the first time I've seen someone not consider the JK44's to be a good choice for a TJ. May I ask that you explain it a bit further? Shoot me a PM if you don't want to start a war on GB's thread.

Incidentally, I was implying that the swap would include the front; not just a rear axle alone.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #1256
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Not that I'm trying to start a debate or anything, but that's probably the first time I've seen someone not consider the JK44's to be a good choice for a TJ. May I ask that you explain it a bit further? Shoot me a PM if you don't want to start a war on GB's thread.

Incidentally, I was implying that the swap would include the front; not just a rear axle alone.
Pm sent!
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #1257
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok, no debate, how about discussion? To each his own, and everyone has their reasons for swapping whatever they swap. I do agree that a rear JK swap is of no sense without doing a front JK swap as well. I also don't recommend a JK swap for most people, especially people on 35's.

But calling them a turd, that's just nonsense.

Check these guys out

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...ct-kj-1502899/

JK's front and rear on a diesel KJ with a 4 to 1 transfercase on 40's. Once they are done it's going on the Ultimate Adventure. With the money and fab that is going into this thing, they could have done PR60's or fab 9's. But they didn't.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #1258
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

They are a turd because they cost more than they are worth, there are much better axles for the money. They are excellent axles for a JK, but crappy swap candidates for a TJ. That is all I'm going to say on the matter. Would be happy to discuss further through pm if you so wish.
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #1259
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Those are great pictures!!
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #1260
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Those are amazing pictures. One of the primary reasons for building my Jeep is to go to places like that and snap pictures.

What are you shooting with?
My wife is using a Japanese made Canon SX 40HS , I use a cheap old kodak . She didnt want a body and lense so this is what the guys at B&H suggested .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
That is beautiful country!
I agree , and I feel blessed to be able to be here .
Quote:
Originally Posted by taterhed View Post

On the build ideas.....

Its a fair price for the parts, but I dont want an axle that was raced heavily .

Quote:

I agree with you , not a good deal for me though it does have a lot of nice parts .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Sick views and pictures, GB.
Thanks , theres more to come tomorrow night .
Quote:
For someone that's not going to have to do much work in order to get that axle underneath their rig, it would probably be a good buy...even if the housing is tweaked. I think that getting rid of the truss, etc, makes it not-the-best choice, here. I'd either build the rear 44 a piece at a time, or consider going this route.
I am leaning towards a front Rubi locker in the rear or a Jana'd ARB with 4.88s or 5.13s and Chro mos . Kimbo is being the debil and encouraging me to go nuts ...

Quote:

For the record I think the JK 44s are good axles with some sleeves , ball joints and gussets , but I dont want anything that wide for 35s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Those are great pictures!!
Thanks ! We are in the Black Hills , hopefully we will get a few nice shots tomorrow .

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.