Just another LJ build - Page 82 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #1216
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
See? That's where I'm ending up, too...and the only reason I'm considering a swap is because I'm taking a page out of your "I don't want to EVER worry about it" book.
Are you allowed to use my logic on me ? Pretty sure the Nuts-P addendum prohibits that . Maybe the logical thing to do is just use the axle I have until it gives me an issue?

Unread 06-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #1217
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post

I have an accent ?
The worst TJ in JF history rocking a 35 through Helldorado ... Thats TJ of the year material right there . I have tried to watch your video a couple of times , but the connection here keeps cutting out . What I saw looked great , hopefully the next hotel should have a better connection and I will finish watching it . And the 44 is staying for a while , I have to build the slush fund back up after this trip . I did find a wheeling trail down to a lower level in the Grand Canyon and its approved by the NPS ! Next year , theres always next year . Tomorrow we are heading through Zion and Bryce on the way to Price, Utah . This is the beginning of our trip back East .
I think I had the least amount of footage of you though! That sucked but on some stuff you were leading and got through the obstacles faster than I could jump out and start filming. Oh well.... overall it came out good I think.
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #1218
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I think I had the least amount of footage of you though! That sucked but on some stuff you were leading and got through the obstacles faster than I could jump out and start filming. Oh well.... overall it came out good I think.
No worries , anonymity helps with my profession
I look forward to seeing the rest of it .
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #1219
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would stick with the 44. The jk44 kit would be great but maybe you won't need to go that far. I would stick to shafts and an ARB for now and see how that sits.

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #1220
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He wheeled the heck out of that 35, it was impressive. I think it may be the only Dana 35 to ever make it through Helldorado.
I vote that said d35 should be chrome plated and hung on the wall as a trophy upon retirement.

Quote:
I did find a wheeling trail down to a lower level in the Grand Canyon and its approved by the NPS!
Do tell more...

As for the rear axle discussion. Defiantly a good read, now if I could only get such a discussion about the various front axles going over in my build...

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #1221
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Anyway, I'm sure we clogged up his build thread enough, so I am just going to have to agree to disagree with you.
With all of the "on topic" content of this thread lately it must be utter nonsense that I talk about my personal axle choice, so I'll just leave it at that.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #1222
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
I vote that said d35 should be chrome plated and hung on the wall as a trophy upon retirement.
The chrome would be a nice touch

Quote:
Do tell more...
I dont want to post a lot about it in a public forum so that it doesnt get loved to death , hopefully that makes sense ? But if your interested I can pm you the info . At the end of the trail you are 6000' below the North Rim .

Quote:
As for the rear axle discussion. Defiantly a good read, now if I could only get such a discussion about the various front axles going over in my build...
What are you thinking of running ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
With all of the "on topic" content of this thread lately it must be utter nonsense that I talk about my personal axle choice, so I'll just leave it at that.
This thing is so off and on topic that ... squirrel !

On a different note I would pay $50 for a pound of Whispering Pines BBQ right now ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
I would stick with the 44. The jk44 kit would be great but maybe you won't need to go that far. I would stick to shafts and an ARB for now and see how that sits.
If your going to regear and change carriers why not go with the Jana setup? Its much stronger somewhere north of 40% and the cost is only another $150 .
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #1223
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh wow I had it in my head it was much higher in price. With that said go for it

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #1224
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
On a different note I would pay $50 for a pound of Whispering Pines BBQ right now ...
Next time you come through Albemarle I'll treat you to some. I must admit I'm a bigger fan of the Log Cabin though.

Are you sure you really need the ARB though? 2 options to consider:

Keep wheeling the rubi locker till it blows and upgrade then. Might never blow it up though, its a crap shoot. Plus its cheaper in the short run.

Upgrade to ARB now and sell the rubi locker to someone who has blown theirs. Helps offset the cost of the ARB some, but still a big price tag.

Fwiw, I wish I had done the Jana kit when I regeared, but I didn't really have the option of replacing the locker at the time and the regear was super cheap. It depends on how much money you want to throw at a problem that is probably mostly mental.
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #1225
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't want to post a lot about it in a public forum so that it doesn't get loved to death, hopefully that makes sense?
Agreed. It can be our little secret.

Quote:
But if your interested I can pm you the info. At the end of the trail you are 6000' below the North Rim.
Yes please.

Quote:
What are you thinking of running?
Not that I'm anywhere near ready to buy something. But I'm currently talking myself in circles over D44 vs. HP D30 vs. keeping my LP D30. Although depending on how the Jeep likes the new 33s, plans might get accelerated...

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #1226
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright, that settles it; we're having a barbeque this fall... and when I say that, I mean "I'm cooking barbeque this fall, because I am good at very few things and barbeque is at the top of that short list."

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #1227
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Next time you come through Albemarle I'll treat you to some. I must admit I'm a bigger fan of the Log Cabin though.
I am open to trying a different place , I am going to plan a trip down there once we get home and settled back in .

Quote:
Are you sure you really need the ARB though? 2 options to consider:

Keep wheeling the rubi locker till it blows and upgrade then. Might never blow it up though, its a crap shoot. Plus its cheaper in the short run.

Upgrade to ARB now and sell the rubi locker to someone who has blown theirs. Helps offset the cost of the ARB some, but still a big price tag.
Either an ARB or OX , I really like being able to run open on the highway . I do like the idea of selling the stock locker while it is still working properly .

Quote:
Fwiw, I wish I had done the Jana kit when I regeared, but I didn't really have the option of replacing the locker at the time and the regear was super cheap. It depends on how much money you want to throw at a problem that is probably mostly mental.
I agree that most of it is in my head , but I dont like the LSD timebomb . I much prefer to deal with potential problems at home .
Quote:
Not that I'm anywhere near ready to buy something. But I'm currently talking myself in circles over D44 vs. HP D30 vs. keeping my LP D30. Although depending on how the Jeep likes the new 33s, plans might get accelerated...
HP 30 , its cheap and strong what else is there to argue ? And I will pm you the trail info tonight .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Alright, that settles it; we're having a barbeque this fall... and when I say that, I mean "I'm cooking barbeque this fall, because I am good at very few things and barbeque is at the top of that short list."
I can bring the family your way , but you will need to warn your neighbors that the kids are coming ...
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #1228
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can bring the family your way , but you will need to warn your neighbors that the kids are coming ...
What neighbors?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #1229
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am open to trying a different place , I am going to plan a trip down there once we get home and settled back in.
The Log Cabin is no more than 2 miles down the road from Pines, has a very similar menu, and was originally owned by an opposing member of the same family (the infamous Galloway family ) You wont be disappointed with either.
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #1230
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think this is the problem of the internet. A minority of people in a very large sample have an issue with a product, and very soon the whole world things it's a major issue. Pretty soon, you can't drive down to the corner store without thinking about "thingabob 1-1000" is about to fail and your Jeep is going to burst into flames and kill you and a bus full of kittens and nuns.

The majority of reports I read on the Rubicon locker is that it failed unlocked where there was a high differential of speed between tires. IE: in the snow or mud with the hammer down and one tires spinning fast and the other stopped.

I had a stock rubicon D44 (with 5.13 gears) that I ran for a year behind my V8 with stock shafts. It held up just fine, and I wasn't very nice to it. I did, however keep the locker engaged most of the time offroad.

If I were in your situation, I would put some good alloy stock spline shafts in it, throw some 35's in it, and see if you hate the gearing. If you do, put some 5.13's in it.

More than likely, you will never have an issue with the Rubicon locker and you can save $1200 on buying a ARB locker and compressor, and not have to deal with two separate air systems. I wouldn't even consider the OX locker.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.