Just another LJ build - Page 71 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Reply
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #1051
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Looks good, I need to sleeve mine as well. Looks like the synergy sleeves are the way to go.
Thanks, though the welds look awful.

The Synergy sleeves offer a lot of additional strength for the money and they slid right in.

__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #1052
clintrivera
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific, Washington
Posts: 2,536
Is the upper BJ the one that's tapered a little? I put a washer between the adapter to straighten out the taper to get it pressed straight. It took a little fiddling, but it was a free fix and worked fine. There's a youtube video that shows how it works.
__________________
Project Indecision: A Jeep Addicts 06 LJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #1053
AndyE
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Is the OTC 7894 the adapter kit you have?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
My old HF press died , so I need to replace that too . Is your OTC press American made?
Sadly the only markings I can find that say where it's made are on the plastic case it comes in. And that says Made in China. That being said I've(Kate and redrelyt12 as well) beat on it pretty good and haven't managed to break or bend it, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Theres always some HREW and DOM floating around the shop.
Sounds like I need to get some fab tools so I too can have random DOM hanging around.
__________________
Build Thread The Ballad of a TJ

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #1054
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,229
You got some momentum going today Beasley, that's cool. To bad that ball joint held you up. Those must fit a little tighter than the Spicers, Mine wanted to start no problem with my HF press. I hope that Plate is for ME!
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #1055
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Is the upper BJ the one that's tapered a little? I put a washer between the adapter to straighten out the taper to get it pressed straight. It took a little fiddling, but it was a free fix and worked fine. There's a youtube video that shows how it works.
It doesnt look tapered , but the fins could be throwing off my perspective . I will try and find the youtube video to see the trick . I have done ball joints before , but none of the adapters I have seem to fit just right .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
Yes.
Sadly the only markings I can find that say where it's made are on the plastic case it comes in. And that says Made in China. That being said I've(Kate and redrelyt12 as well) beat on it pretty good and haven't managed to break or bend it, yet.
Mine is bent , and it lost the first three threads . Good old HF ...


Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
Sounds like I need to get some fab tools so I too can have random DOM hanging around.
Having fab tools is fun , but you end up with friends you didnt know you had .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
You got some momentum going today Beasley, that's cool. To bad that ball joint held you up. Those must fit a little tighter than the Spicers, Mine wanted to start no problem with my HF press.
The diameter of my adapters just wont sit square on the joint . With what I have read it seems the kit Andy has is the way to go .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I hope that Plate is for ME!
Its an oldie but a goodie and bound for Utah .

I took apart one of the stock ball joints and it does have a plastic liner.Not sure if all of them do , but mine were original and had the dreaded plastic . I will post pictures of the ball joint internals when I get back home. My lower ball joint was completely shot , I could wiggle it with one finger so as much of a pain in the butt this has been it was needed work .

The good news is that I am almost half way done on the drivers side . The bad news is that I am leaving for PA in 15 minutes and I still have the whole passenger side left . Momentum is on my side and with the OTC kit I think the passenger side will go much better .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #1056
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle, NC
Posts: 4,861
I dont think either ball joints are tapered. I used a HF press for my lower ball joints, and a combination of a HF adaptor and BFH to get the uppers in.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #1057
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,328
Dang you are making some serious progress. On the BJ press, I just used a piece of scrap to level it out instead of buying the kit.
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #1058
clintrivera
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific, Washington
Posts: 2,536
It's not the ball joint that's tapered, it's the inner C where the ball joint goes into. The bottom of it is tapered and doesn't let the lower cup sit correctly.
__________________
Project Indecision: A Jeep Addicts 06 LJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #1059
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I dont think either ball joints are tapered. I used a HF press for my lower ball joints, and a combination of a HF adaptor and BFH to get the uppers in.
I havent had to use a hammer to ever put a ball joint in , I hope to continue that streak .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Dang you are making some serious progress. On the BJ press, I just used a piece of scrap to level it out instead of buying the kit.
I tried a little bit of everything with no luck . The OTC press and Dodge kit are on the way to the house . With any luck I will press in all the joints next Saturday night .

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
It's not the ball joint that's tapered, it's the inner C where the ball joint goes into. The bottom of it is tapered and doesn't let the lower cup sit correctly.
Now that you mention it , I think I did see that the metal was rusty at the bottom where the ball joint wasnt making contact .

So as mentioned above the OTC kit is on the way to the house and I am freezing here in PA . Thankfully this is a short job and I will head home Friday night . On the way here I passed by the exit for Rausch Creek , and there were a bunch of nice rigs loaded up and heading out ... I need to get up here and wheel one day .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #1060
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,229
Beasley, I've decided what I think you do for a living. You travel all around.... kind of not knowing where you'll be, not really knowing how long it will take. Seems like you just get a call and your off...... I think you might be a HITMAN.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #1061
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Beasley, I've decided what I think you do for a living. You travel all around.... kind of not knowing where you'll be, not really knowing how long it will take. Seems like you just get a call and your off...... I think you might be a HITMAN.
Thats funny that you say that as you arent the first one to come up with that theory Would this be a bad time to mention that I am a wicked accurate marksman ?

I thought for sure I had mentioned what I did on here ? Ahhh the intrigue
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #1062
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Thats funny that you say that as you arent the first one to come up with that theory Would this be a bad time to mention that I am a wicked accurate marksman ?

I thought for sure I had mentioned what I did on here ? Ahhh the intrigue
Haha, na let's just go with Hitman.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #1063
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Haha, na let's just go with Hitman.
Its off to Fort Bragg next , then NYC . Of course I have Moab in between .

The OTC press and adapters will be at the house tomorrow , and all of the control arms came in today . I think the rub rails came in too , but I havent gotten any pics from my wife yet . I cant wait to get back home and finish the front end up .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #1064
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Its off to Fort Bragg next , then NYC . Of course I have Moab in between .

The OTC press and adapters will be at the house tomorrow , and all of the control arms came in today . I think the rub rails came in too , but I havent gotten any pics from my wife yet . I cant wait to get back home and finish the front end up .
Just say the word and I'll take care of the HIT in Fort Bragg..... less than a day's drive for me. I'll keep it clean.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #1065
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Its off to Fort Bragg next , then NYC . Of course I have Moab in between .

The OTC press and adapters will be at the house tomorrow , and all of the control arms came in today . I think the rub rails came in too , but I havent gotten any pics from my wife yet . I cant wait to get back home and finish the front end up .
Sounds like torture.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 37s

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.