Just another LJ build - Page 71 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #1051
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Looks good, I need to sleeve mine as well. Looks like the synergy sleeves are the way to go.
Thanks, though the welds look awful.

The Synergy sleeves offer a lot of additional strength for the money and they slid right in.

Unread 05-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #1052
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is the upper BJ the one that's tapered a little? I put a washer between the adapter to straighten out the taper to get it pressed straight. It took a little fiddling, but it was a free fix and worked fine. There's a youtube video that shows how it works.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #1053
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Is the OTC 7894 the adapter kit you have?
Yes.

Quote:
My old HF press died , so I need to replace that too . Is your OTC press American made?
Sadly the only markings I can find that say where it's made are on the plastic case it comes in. And that says Made in China. That being said I've(Kate and redrelyt12 as well) beat on it pretty good and haven't managed to break or bend it, yet.

Quote:
Theres always some HREW and DOM floating around the shop.
Sounds like I need to get some fab tools so I too can have random DOM hanging around.

JF Rubicon Trip 2014
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #1054
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You got some momentum going today Beasley, that's cool. To bad that ball joint held you up. Those must fit a little tighter than the Spicers, Mine wanted to start no problem with my HF press. I hope that Plate is for ME!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #1055
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Is the upper BJ the one that's tapered a little? I put a washer between the adapter to straighten out the taper to get it pressed straight. It took a little fiddling, but it was a free fix and worked fine. There's a youtube video that shows how it works.
It doesnt look tapered , but the fins could be throwing off my perspective . I will try and find the youtube video to see the trick . I have done ball joints before , but none of the adapters I have seem to fit just right .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
Yes.
Sadly the only markings I can find that say where it's made are on the plastic case it comes in. And that says Made in China. That being said I've(Kate and redrelyt12 as well) beat on it pretty good and haven't managed to break or bend it, yet.
Mine is bent , and it lost the first three threads . Good old HF ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
Sounds like I need to get some fab tools so I too can have random DOM hanging around.
Having fab tools is fun , but you end up with friends you didnt know you had .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
You got some momentum going today Beasley, that's cool. To bad that ball joint held you up. Those must fit a little tighter than the Spicers, Mine wanted to start no problem with my HF press.
The diameter of my adapters just wont sit square on the joint . With what I have read it seems the kit Andy has is the way to go .
Quote:
I hope that Plate is for ME!
Its an oldie but a goodie and bound for Utah .

I took apart one of the stock ball joints and it does have a plastic liner.Not sure if all of them do , but mine were original and had the dreaded plastic . I will post pictures of the ball joint internals when I get back home. My lower ball joint was completely shot , I could wiggle it with one finger so as much of a pain in the butt this has been it was needed work .

The good news is that I am almost half way done on the drivers side . The bad news is that I am leaving for PA in 15 minutes and I still have the whole passenger side left . Momentum is on my side and with the OTC kit I think the passenger side will go much better .
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #1056
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I dont think either ball joints are tapered. I used a HF press for my lower ball joints, and a combination of a HF adaptor and BFH to get the uppers in.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #1057
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Dang you are making some serious progress. On the BJ press, I just used a piece of scrap to level it out instead of buying the kit.
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #1058
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's not the ball joint that's tapered, it's the inner C where the ball joint goes into. The bottom of it is tapered and doesn't let the lower cup sit correctly.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #1059
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I dont think either ball joints are tapered. I used a HF press for my lower ball joints, and a combination of a HF adaptor and BFH to get the uppers in.
I havent had to use a hammer to ever put a ball joint in , I hope to continue that streak .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Dang you are making some serious progress. On the BJ press, I just used a piece of scrap to level it out instead of buying the kit.
I tried a little bit of everything with no luck . The OTC press and Dodge kit are on the way to the house . With any luck I will press in all the joints next Saturday night .

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
It's not the ball joint that's tapered, it's the inner C where the ball joint goes into. The bottom of it is tapered and doesn't let the lower cup sit correctly.
Now that you mention it , I think I did see that the metal was rusty at the bottom where the ball joint wasnt making contact .

So as mentioned above the OTC kit is on the way to the house and I am freezing here in PA . Thankfully this is a short job and I will head home Friday night . On the way here I passed by the exit for Rausch Creek , and there were a bunch of nice rigs loaded up and heading out ... I need to get up here and wheel one day .
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #1060
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Beasley, I've decided what I think you do for a living. You travel all around.... kind of not knowing where you'll be, not really knowing how long it will take. Seems like you just get a call and your off...... I think you might be a HITMAN.
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #1061
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Beasley, I've decided what I think you do for a living. You travel all around.... kind of not knowing where you'll be, not really knowing how long it will take. Seems like you just get a call and your off...... I think you might be a HITMAN.
Thats funny that you say that as you arent the first one to come up with that theory Would this be a bad time to mention that I am a wicked accurate marksman ?

I thought for sure I had mentioned what I did on here ? Ahhh the intrigue
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #1062
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats funny that you say that as you arent the first one to come up with that theory Would this be a bad time to mention that I am a wicked accurate marksman ?

I thought for sure I had mentioned what I did on here ? Ahhh the intrigue
Haha, na let's just go with Hitman.
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #1063
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha, na let's just go with Hitman.
Its off to Fort Bragg next , then NYC . Of course I have Moab in between .

The OTC press and adapters will be at the house tomorrow , and all of the control arms came in today . I think the rub rails came in too , but I havent gotten any pics from my wife yet . I cant wait to get back home and finish the front end up .
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #1064
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The OTC press and adapters will be at the house tomorrow , and all of the control arms came in today . I think the rub rails came in too , but I havent gotten any pics from my wife yet . I cant wait to get back home and finish the front end up .
Just say the word and I'll take care of the HIT in Fort Bragg..... less than a day's drive for me. I'll keep it clean.
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #1065
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Sounds like torture.

Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.