Just another LJ build - Page 65 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #961
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Figured, just couldn't help but give you a little **** or that comment.

Good group going to SMORR on the 23rd. I think you should make a road trip...
I leave for the Black Hills and then Moab on the 24th , though I plan on being in Missouri this Fall .

__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #962
143DAD
Member
 
143DAD's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Figured, just couldn't help but give you a little **** or that comment.

Good group going to SMORR on the 23rd. I think you should make a road trip...
We might make that date, I'm only an hour from SMORR.
__________________
Any color will do as long as its black.
143DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #963
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I leave for the Black Hills and then Moab on the 24th , though I plan on being in Missouri this Fall .
When this fall? Jeepstock at SMORR is always a great time and normally late September. Lucky SOB on Moab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 143DAD View Post
We might make that date, I'm only an hour from SMORR.
Lucky, it is a 4 hour haul for me. You should definitely come.
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #964
143DAD
Member
 
143DAD's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
When this fall? Jeepstock at SMORR is always a great time and normally late September. Lucky SOB on Moab



Lucky, it is a 4 hour haul for me. You should definitely come.
SMORR Rock the Ozark run is 26 th thru 29th of September and SMORR in the fall is October 17 thru 20th we have done both and will this year both are great events.
__________________
Any color will do as long as its black.
143DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #965
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,258
Wish I lived out there , lots of wheeling going on .

More parts arrived today .


The tower section of the kit looks used to me ?
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #966
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Wish I lived out there , lots of wheeling going on .

More parts arrived today .


The tower section of the kit looks used to me ?
That's a little dirtier than mine was, but not much. That 1" plate must sit a while before it's cut. Mine was pretty filthy as well. It's actually not a very well designed piece. If it's only intended purpose is to live on a D30 or D44 TJ axle housing.... then it should be cut at an angle to account for the angle of the bracket. I know it's a proven part and that "special" cut might add cost.... but it's a little cheesy how poorly it actually fits the axle tube. I would have ground it down to sit flush (which would have been a sucky job) but I didn't want to possibly upset the length of my control arm since it lined right up without any grinding. In order to weld that portion to the tube...... I had to "fill" the area with weld.....because the gap was considerable and then I ground it down. FWIW, I do believe my bracket was bent and that may have added to the issue. Still feels GOOD to have a JJ in there and not clevite. I think my radius arms stress the crap out of that link mount.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #967
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
That's a little dirtier than mine was, but not much. That 1" plate must sit a while before it's cut. Mine was pretty filthy as well. It's actually not a very well designed piece. If it's only intended purpose is to live on a D30 or D44 TJ axle housing.... then it should be cut at an angle to account for the angle of the bracket. I know it's a proven part and that "special" cut might add cost.... but it's a little cheesy how poorly it actually fits the axle tube. I would have ground it down to sit flush (which would have been a sucky job) but I didn't want to possibly upset the length of my control arm since it lined right up without any grinding. In order to weld that portion to the tube...... I had to "fill" the area with weld.....because the gap was considerable and then I ground it down. FWIW, I do believe my bracket was bent and that may have added to the issue. Still feels GOOD to have a JJ in there and not clevite. I think my radius arms stress the crap out of that link mount.
Mine fit great on the axle tube, granted I didn't weld it to the axle tube like the instructions said. I just did a plug weld in the back instead.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #968
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Mine fit great on the axle tube, granted I didn't weld it to the axle tube like the instructions said. I just did a plug weld in the back instead.
Take a photo of the front of it if you would, I'd like to see how much different it was from mine. I also did the plug weld.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #969
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Take a photo of the front of it if you would, I'd like to see how much different it was from mine. I also did the plug weld.
Here's the best pic I have at the moment. I thought it sat on there a little better then that.



It's not perfect as there's a little gap, but one pass would take care of it. I just didn't see a need to weld it to the tube. I have seen some where the bottom doesn't even touch the axle tube.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #970
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,134
Yours fit better than mine. Your bracket must have been at less of an angle. Thanks for the pic.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #971
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,258
Kinda nice to have the how to pics posted in the thread before I have to install them

On another note I have begun the upper control arm switch out ...
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #972
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab
 
AngryTJ's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange, CT
Posts: 3,980
of the people who have done that mod, do you have to remove the bushing before welding that piece onto the axle?
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #973
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,134
No you don't have to remove it, must be able to take the heat.... I think its a ***** reassemble a jj without the right tools.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #974
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,134
So your home and working on it??? I didnt know new uppers were on the agenda!
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #975
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,091
When you get thru with this part, it will be the best LJ on 33s
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 37s
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.