Just another LJ build - Page 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #811
AngryTJ
Web Wheeler
 
AngryTJ's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange, CT
Posts: 4,174
I plan to get a stick with a magnet at the end, pull the shafts, drill the holes, clean, insert sleeves then weld. I would end up drilling right through the sleeves if I tried what your planning.

__________________
Follow me on Instagram @ Tarantula_TJ


Tarantula_TJ Build



2015 Colorado Trip
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #812
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I plan to get a stick with a magnet at the end, pull the shafts, drill the holes, clean, insert sleeves then weld. I would end up drilling right through the sleeves if I tried what your planning.
I plan on using a stop collar/depth gauge to stop the drill at the right depth. They are pretty cheap , and come in quite handy . My fear of the magnet technique is missing flakes , but after some thinking I believe those fears may be unwarranted .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #813
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys
 
Sundowner's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post

I plan on using a stop collar/depth gauge to stop the drill at the right depth. They are pretty cheap , and come in quite handy . My fear of the magnet technique is missing flakes , but after some thinking I believe those fears may be unwarranted .
I'd pull everything apart and set the housing up on the bench to do the drilling, and then I'd swab out the flakes and chips and dust before installing and welding the sleeves...almost like running a brush and cleaning patches through a barrel.
__________________
If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #814
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

I'd pull everything apart and set the housing up on the bench to do the drilling, and then I'd swab out the flakes and chips and dust before installing and welding the sleeves...almost like running a brush and cleaning patches through a barrel.
How many welds would you add? I am planning on four plug welds per side. I thought that would be sufficient?
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #815
clintrivera
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific, Washington
Posts: 2,643
According the the instructions they want you to drill a total of 16 holes.
__________________
Build
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #816
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle, NC
Posts: 4,880
16 plug welds is total overkill. When I sleeved my hp30 (made the sleeves myself though) I did 3 plug welds on the long side and only 1 plug weld on the short side. Combined with being welded at the end of the tube that sleeve will never move. The plug welds are only there to hold it in place, not to add any strength to the sleeve.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #817
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys
 
Sundowner's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
How many welds would you add? I am planning on four plug welds per side. I thought that would be sufficient?
I would not add any. Mark would add quite a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
According the the instructions they want you to drill a total of 16 holes.
I was somewhere in the 16-ish neighborhood with my rough count...but that doesn't include the tube-to-center welds. I really need to get my hands on a baby TIG setup...
__________________
If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #818
AngryTJ
Web Wheeler
 
AngryTJ's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange, CT
Posts: 4,174
I was planning to do 6 on the long side and 2 or 4 on the shorter end.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @ Tarantula_TJ


Tarantula_TJ Build



2015 Colorado Trip
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #819
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,517
Do you know the page # of the under armor installation/installed pictures? I searched through the thread but couldn't find it.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #820
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
According the the instructions they want you to drill a total of 16 holes.
I didnt get directions , just two big pieces of tubing . Thanks for the link , though I think that is overkill as Jankoid states below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
16 plug welds is total overkill. When I sleeved my hp30 (made the sleeves myself though) I did 3 plug welds on the long side and only 1 plug weld on the short side. Combined with being welded at the end of the tube that sleeve will never move. The plug welds are only there to hold it in place, not to add any strength to the sleeve.
I agree thats a lot of holes , 6 and 4 is what I think I am going to do .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I would not add any. Mark would add quite a few.
Next time your over we are firing up the welder .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I was planning to do 6 on the long side and 2 or 4 on the shorter end.
I like the 6 and 4 count , I think thats the route I am going .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Do you know the page # of the under armor installation/installed pictures? I searched through the thread but couldn't find it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...l#post12808885
This should take you to the start . If not the install starts at post # 54 .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #821
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,511

The view from the cabin here in Minnesota ... you betcha !
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #822
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys
 
Sundowner's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
The view from the cabin here in Minnesota ... you betcha !
Nice. Except for the snow. I hate some snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Next time your over we are firing up the welder .
I'll photograph you welding all day long, but unless you want Mark to be grinding out welds in addition to applying them, you'd better keep me away from it.
__________________
If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #823
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Nice. Except for the snow. I hate some snow.
Hmm , you hate snow . And you hate Monkeys ... so then you must really love the Snow Monkeys !


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'll photograph you welding all day long, but unless you want Mark to be grinding out welds in addition to applying them, you'd better keep me away from it.
Next time over you are welding , you cant get better at it unless you practice.
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #824
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys
 
Sundowner's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Hmm , you hate snow . And you hate Monkeys ... so then you must really love the Snow Monkeys !
Repeat: The only good monkey is a pre-killed monkey.
__________________
If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #825
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Repeat: The only good monkey is a pre-killed monkey.
All of my pre killed snow monkeys come from ballistic , so it may be a while before they come in ...

Back on topic , the Superior axle shafts came in today . This leaves me waiting on the Synergy ball joints . Once I finish up this job I should have three or four weeks to get everything ready for Moab .

If the red truck sells before I head west , I may order new shocks and control arms . I am half way convinced my knocking noise is coming from one of the JKS arms . When I get back I am going to try and get it on a lift to isolate the noise . If that is the culprit , then I have to figure out what arms to get ...
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.