Just another LJ build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 09-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #46
Willcamp
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This a great visual piece for me since I plan on doing the same suspension work on mine and am a novice at suspension work. I originally wanted a TJ, but bought the LJ so my dogs will have some room with my stuff.

Willcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #47
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcamp View Post
This a great visual piece for me since I plan on doing the same suspension work on mine and am a novice at suspension work. I originally wanted a TJ, but bought the LJ so my dogs will have some room with my stuff.
Glad it can be of some help . The LJs have a nicer ride and the extra space is nice for tools and camping gear . I have a Savvy Under Armor setup waiting to go in along with most of a cage , so theres more to come once the weather gets cooler . Until then I am on a house / yard work rampage .

Good luck with your build , if you have any questions feel free to ask .
Unread 10-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #48
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Havent had much time for fabrication , though I do have the cage ready to go . Just havent had the time to put it in . I did get the OPDA swapped out today .

It didnt look as bad as some I saw in the OPDA thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/ but it did have some wear . I used WilyDiggers youtube video as a reference and it helped out a lot with the swap .
If you are on the fence about swapping yours out dont be worried . It is just as easy as the video shows it to be .
Unread 10-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #49
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That bumper is pretty sweet!
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #50
fordtech
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How is the ridigity of the fenders? I like the cut you did on the original fenders and flairs. I want to do the CJ style lights, so this would complement that nicely.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/yjjeepinmike
Just your friendly neighborhood x-ford technician...
fordtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 05:16 AM   #51
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
That bumper is pretty sweet!
Thanks , but the design credit goes to Rokmen . I liked what they made and just made my own that looked like theirs .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtech View Post
How is the ridigity of the fenders? I like the cut you did on the original fenders and flairs. I want to do the CJ style lights, so this would complement that nicely.
There is no movement at all , this is the third set I have cut like this . If you leave the lip and dont cut them all the way flat the fenders dont move . But if you go all the way flat then they flex a good bit . I used the JK turn signals vs the CJ . The old CJ ones always seemed to have grounding issues and the JKs plug in . Still get a similar look and its a little simpler .
Unread 10-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #52
1998 ZJ 

Nice work so far! Can't wait to see more!
98318242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #53
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Finally had time to wrench some over the holidays .

the old z linkage is out . I found the plastic bushings difficult to remove . My solution was to
use a serrated edge knife to cut one side off the bushings . Once I did this they pushed out easily .

Heres the Novak cable shifter in place . The hardest part of the install was removing the old linkage . The install is more or less self explanatory once you get underneath and look at where the hardware goes .

I listened to what a lot of the other people in the Under Armor thread said . It went together pretty easily and I think it will go under the Jeep pretty easily . I am going to have to modify the front mount as I am running Brown Dog motor mounts .
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #54
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Started installing the Savvy Under Armor today . It went together fairly well . I really only had to fight the exhaust as it just didnt want to go up . With some massaging it now fits and clears the lower passenger side control arm mount .

When I pulled this measurement I thought to myself how much is this really going to go up ?

Once I got the crossmember in and everything bolted up I was shocked at how much higher everything went .

I used a 36 mm socket and it fit over the hump on the t case perfect . With a few lifts of he jack it made a nice sized indent for clearance . I had to use a crowbar after I took this picture for some additional clearance . I will start it up tomorrow to check for exhaust clearance and vibrations from the t case .

More pics to come tomorrow .
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #55
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=G Beasley;12808885]

When I pulled this measurement I thought to myself how much is this really going to go up ?
QUOTE]

Well to answer my own question it goes up a little over three inches .

I did not like the factory location of the rubicon locker pumps . So I rewired them and added in some vacum line .

I moved the pumps under the hood onto the ABS tray .
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #56
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Side view of the under armor and the disappearing t case .

I still have the stock driveshaft under it , how do yall think the angle looks ? After an extended test drive I didnt have any vibrations from it ? I do have some vibrations from the exhaust at idle but most of it goes away once I accelerate . The passenger side lower control arm is super close to the exhaust and I think it may be hitting intermittently ? I cracked the muffler yanking it around so I am going to go to the exhaust shop this week . Once its on the rack I think I am going to shorten the elbow next to the lca and put in a new muffler .

I have the main skid in place , but thanks to the Brown Dog motor mount lifts I have to do some fabrication .

I chopped up a piece of c channel to start .

I put it up on the drill press and then tapped the front mount holes . I am not sure this is the route I am going to go yet , but its a start .
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #57
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

This flex head socket will save you a huge amount of headaches on the passenger side inner motor mount bolt . It is difficult to reach with a regular socket , but this popped right on .

I tried to re-engineer the brown dog lifted motor mounts to work with the under armor front mount . I made the 1st bracket and figured out how to make it work , but the passenger side was going to see a huge amount of shear . So for now I pulled the brown dogs and went with the savvy mounts .

The front mount was tough to get in and I was glad to have a buddy here to pry bar it over . Once he put a little pressure on it I was able to get all four of the bolts in the motor mount blocks .

Once the bracket was in we got the surfboard in place . Horray !

It didnt take me long to figure out my fingers werent going to fit on the bakcside of the oil plug cover .

I made this plate and tacked the four nuts onto the plate . Next up was a finger hole to be able to get it into place .

Heres the plate in place . Its simple and the nuts keep it all lined up . Light pressure is required for the first screw because all thats holding the plate in place is gravity .

All buttoned up . The plate I made makes for a super easy removal when its time to change the oil .

Drivers side wing is on , but I am not going to put the passenger side wing on until the new muffler goes on .

Overall I am very happy with the Under Armor . It takes a while to put it in , but the end result is so worth it . Still trying to decide if the rear driveshaft is going to work or not . I have had it up to 55 and no crazy vibes ?
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #58
McWrangler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

im so jealous..i have rockers, ome sl/bl, and other random goods just gathering dust under my bed waiting to go on my lj once it gets warm out again.

Your pretty lucky not to be getting vibes from what I have read on the forums.
McWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #59
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWrangler View Post
im so jealous..i have rockers, ome sl/bl, and other random goods just gathering dust under my bed waiting to go on my lj once it gets warm out again.

Your pretty lucky not to be getting vibes from what I have read on the forums.
I am going to flex it out down in the creek tomorrow and see if I get any driveshaft bindage . But I agree the no vibes was a pleasant surprise . I do feel the idle of the engine and the driveline vibes a little more but its not to hard to deal with .

If I didnt have a garage this stuff would have to sit until summer . I cant stand wrenching in the cold . You are going to love the OME ride ...
Unread 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #60
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got a fairlead mount cut out today from an old multi mount , but thats about all . I had grand plans , but my wife had honey dos ...

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.