Just another LJ build - Page 242 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 07-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #3616
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've never had a problem with my jeep overheating, but when I pop the good after a short drive it's hott. Looking forward to this Greg

Unread 07-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #3617
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
I've never had a problem with my jeep overheating, but when I pop the good after a short drive it's hott. Looking forward to this Greg
My temps will creep up , and the hood is HOT after a long run but it doesnt run hot . I hope to see a good drop after this weekends install .
Unread 07-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #3618
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

My overflow bottle boils when the temps are 90+ on a trail run. Don't notice it until I turn the engine off. Gauge stays just slightly above 210 even with the AC blasting.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #3619
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I am going to place three on the front of the drivers side inner fender and three on the rear of the passenger side fender . I hope to get a cross flow that will pull some heat from under the hood . I call it the Art effect . I do plan on checking the differences with a thermal laser to see if it makes a difference .
G, I have done louvers on 2 jeeps now and checked both with heat lasers. It is a matter of a few degrees... which to me is not worth it. Removing inner fenders is another hand but louvers are really not worth it to me these days. If I ever do make some inners, I will put louvers in. I know that didnt make a lot of sense but it is for piece of mine, I guess.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #3620
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
G, I have done louvers on 2 jeeps now and checked both with heat lasers. It is a matter of a few degrees... which to me is not worth it. Removing inner fenders is another hand but louvers are really not worth it to me these days. If I ever do make some inners, I will put louvers in. I know that didnt make a lot of sense but it is for piece of mine, I guess.
I think the inner fender louvers will have to make some difference . Even a few degrees here and there will help .
Unread 07-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #3621
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I think the inner fender louvers will have to make some difference . Even a few degrees here and there will help .
I don't agree; there's a MASSIVE amount of airspace that's available below/around the engine, and the hood louver makes use of it... which makes an inner fender louver pointless. You'd be better to push the heat on through to the exhaust; grab a cheap stock manifold, clean it, and have it ceramic coated.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #3622
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I don't agree; there's a MASSIVE amount of airspace that's available below/around the engine, and the hood louver makes use of it... which makes an inner fender louver pointless. You'd be better to push the heat on through to the exhaust; grab a cheap stock manifold, clean it, and have it ceramic coated.
I like the ceramic coated manifold , that might help out a good bit ? I had considered header wrap too as that helped me out on my old CJ7 that had a SBC that liked to burn up plug wires .

We will see what the inner fender louver will do as I am going to pick 4 spots on the hood to measure temperatures from as I go forward . This will give me a base to work from and compare the results too .
Unread 07-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #3623
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I like the ceramic coated manifold , that might help out a good bit ? I had considered header wrap too as that helped me out on my old CJ7 that had a SBC that liked to burn up plug wires .

We will see what the inner fender louver will do as I am going to pick 4 spots on the hood to measure temperatures from as I go forward . This will give me a base to work from and compare the results too .
How much area will the louver open up, and what percentage increase is it over the amount of space that's already allowing air passage? Figuring out those numbers will give you a theoretical idea of the effect before you slice the metal.

Unread 07-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #3624
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How much area will the louver open up, and what percentage increase is it over the amount of space that's already allowing air passage? Figuring out those numbers will give you a theoretical idea of the effect before you slice the metal.
My theory is that the cross flow will be what makes the difference plus I am going to attempt to direct the air with an inner deflector . As to figuring it out before hand , wheres the fun in that ?

From here forward I will measure the temperatures at the four points on the drawing with the laser thermometer .

I measured it before I drove it this afternoon and no surprise the temps were about the same as the outside temps.

1-85.2
2-85.2
3-85.2
4-85.2

Then I went for a pretty mellow drive for 15 minutes and measured it again .

1-96.8
2-101.3
3-103.2
4-102.1

The temps were higher , but not out of this world . I will take it on a longer , higher speed drive tomorrow and see what the temps get up to before I start cutting holes .

Unread 07-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #3625
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Speaking of going for a drive, consider yourself fortunate that you do not live by Summit Racing.
Bought LJ some goodies today.

Derale TJ Transmission cooler
Perma cool inline thermostat so I don't over cool transmission
Perma cool External transmission filter
Perma Cool oil filter relocation kit.
I got off cheap $510 since I learned my lesson with the 42 series transmission.

I need to go by the Parker store and get some lines made up along with some kevlar sleeving.
Hey it was either that or I went to Wellsville and broke a bunch of stuff.
Unread 07-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #3626
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

BTW I was looking at the scratch and dent table and there was a ton of Mosler axles fo D44 for next to nothing.
Unread 07-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #3627
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Heat rises, ever hang out in the attic in summer? That said the driving wind and the fan will push some got air out but will leave very large hot air pockets under the hood. Both my Jeeps will push out massive amounts of hot air out through the fenderwells. How do I know? With the doors of a ton of it comes into the cab when crawling. During highway or city driving it isn't an issue though.
Unread 07-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #3628
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Heat rises, ever hang out in the attic in summer? That said the driving wind and the fan will push some got air out but will leave very large hot air pockets under the hood. Both my Jeeps will push out massive amounts of hot air out through the fenderwells. How do I know? With the doors of a ton of it comes into the cab when crawling. During highway or city driving it isn't an issue though.
Yeah, heat rises... which is why the hood louver makes sense. I can't see the inner fender louvers making much difference after a louvered hood goes on, though.

Unread 07-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #3629
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, heat rises... which is why the hood louver makes sense.
Hey this kind of info needs to be posted in hardcore tech
Unread 07-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #3630
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I might have something to add to this but nothing as scientific as measuring heat with a heat gun. As yall know, the inner fenders on my jeep are gone. I was doing some under hood measuring for a new set of inners this weekend after driving around town for a while. The top of the glass hood was super hot, the sides were breathing out heat, but it wasnt cool until I opened the heat and it went away. Thus proving, heat rises.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.