Just another LJ build - Page 200 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #2986
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaTJ View Post
Hey G are you going with the Gen I or Gen II Truck Lites?

I honestly like the looks of the Gen I's but the Gen II's have a brighter, wider light.
It doesnt say which generation it is on Northridge's website ?

Quote:
Truck-Lite 7'' Round LED Headlamp, Complex Reflector Optics Design - Pair 27270C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
I am going to run MTR/K despite the weight. I am still undecided between Savvy 3" and MC 3.5". Luckily, I have plenty of time to have my decision influenced!
If you look at Kyle Craigs thread you can see the size difference between the MTR's and the BFG's . I like the MTR's but I went with the BFG's because of price and availability .

Unread 03-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #2987
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley

If you look at Kyle Craigs thread you can see the size difference between the MTR's and the BFG's . I like the MTR's but I went with the BFG's because of price and availability .

image-3983934736.jpg

New MTR/k 37" vs old MTR 37". Huge difference with the new tires. Measure a true 37" unloaded. I put my new tires next to my buddies BFG 40" red label crawlers and they are almost the same size.
84jeepcj7rock is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #2988
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Those are the Gen II's.

I don't know if this forum will let me cross reference a different thread but here goes...

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-news/t...ht-test-review
Unread 03-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #2989
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

G, you should have a package waiting for you
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #2990
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
Attachment 1187321

New MTR/k 37" vs old MTR 37". Huge difference with the new tires. Measure a true 37" unloaded. I put my new tires next to my buddies BFG 40" red label crawlers and they are almost the same size.
The MTR's seem to consistently run larger . Dont ask Nate about his undersized BFG's .
Quote:
Those are the Gen II's.

I don't know if this forum will let me cross reference a different thread but here goes...

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-news/t...ht-test-review
Thats a good read , and as far as I can tell the gen II's will be just fine for me . I will post up before and after pics once I get home .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
G, you should have a package waiting for you
Sweet
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #2991
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Greg I have 2 sets of MTR's and those fancy KM2's, MTR is a better tire for average wheelin. You like to go nuts then there is better stuff out there for 35's or 37's I really like the procomp Extreme Xt's or whatever they are called. The run big just like the MTR's really nice soft rubber compound and tough thick sidewalls. MTR's are seriously lacking in the sidewall department, also they love sprining leaks in the siping where the shoulder meets the thread that area is very thin. Overall not a poor choice, especially price wise. But not the best choice either. There are better tires out there
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #2992
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
....... MTR's are seriously lacking in the sidewall department, also they love sprining leaks in the siping where the shoulder meets the thread that area is very thin. Overall not a poor choice, especially price wise. But not the best choice either. There are better tires out there
Great review. I have experienced both of these issues with my first set but dont want to just jump into another tire due to how well they wear and wheel in my area.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #2993
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Greg I have 2 sets of MTR's and those fancy KM2's, MTR is a better tire for average wheelin. You like to go nuts then there is better stuff out there for 35's or 37's I really like the procomp Extreme Xt's or whatever they are called. The run big just like the MTR's really nice soft rubber compound and tough thick sidewalls. MTR's are seriously lacking in the sidewall department, also they love sprining leaks in the siping where the shoulder meets the thread that area is very thin. Overall not a poor choice, especially price wise. But not the best choice either. There are better tires out there
I am really hoping that I get a set of Pro-Comp MT2's as my next set of tires. I like the MTR/K's a lot and if I can't get a deal on the MT2's, I'll likely run another set.
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #2994
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would love to run a softer more pliable tire , but I would waste a lot of that goodness on I 40 and I 70 . I may be going to new tires sooner than later so I suppose its time to start looking again ... it never ends .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Great review. I have experienced both of these issues with my first set but dont want to just jump into another tire due to how well they wear and wheel in my area.
I like the BFG's so far , but they have gotten an odd wobble to them now until they warm up . Almost like a bias ply would do .
Quote:
I am really hoping that I get a set of Pro-Comp MT2's as my next set of tires. I like the MTR/K's a lot and if I can't get a deal on the MT2's, I'll likely run another set.
What no Arturo trail blades ?

Back to normal .

Trees everywhere .

It was late when I got back to the cabin side of the lake tonight .

I have some honey do's to take care of next week when I get home and then I will be working on the outboarding / steering flip / brown dogs / bumpstop project .
Unread 03-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #2995
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are having all the fun and I've been sitting around for a couple months now..... That needs to change soon! Looking forward to your future projects though!
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #2996
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
I would love to run a softer more pliable tire , but I would waste a lot of that goodness on I 40 and I 70 . I may be going to new tires sooner than later so I suppose its time to start looking again ... it never ends . I like the BFG's so far , but they have gotten an odd wobble to them now until they warm up . Almost like a bias ply would do . What no Arturo trail blades ? Back to normal . Trees everywhere . It was late when I got back to the cabin side of the lake tonight . I have some honey do's to take care of next week when I get home and then I will be working on the outboarding / steering flip / brown dogs / bumpstop project .
Hood decals look great.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #2997
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Hood decals look great.
The drivers side came out perfect , but the passenger side is bugging me . I will post a picture of it this afternoon and see if it bugs y'all ...

On another note the pinions are both back to marking their territory . Not sure if the JK gears are building pressure or the seals just aren't meant to be in a TJ . I wonder if any of the other Jana K4 swaps have similar issues with their pinions weeping .
Unread 03-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #2998
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The drivers side came out perfect , but the passenger side is bugging me . I will post a picture of it this afternoon and see if it bugs y'all ...

On another note the pinions are both back to marking their territory . Not sure if the JK gears are building pressure or the seals just aren't meant to be in a TJ . I wonder if any of the other Jana K4 swaps have similar issues with their pinions weeping .
Try to find Timken seals, a lot of the aftermarket cheap seals ain't worth a damn. If the yokes have no grooves then a good seal should seal properly.
Gears don't build pressure in the housing.
Unread 03-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #2999
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Try to find Timken seals, a lot of the aftermarket cheap seals ain't worth a damn. If the yokes have no grooves then a good seal should seal properly.
Gears don't build pressure in the housing.
This will be the third round of seals , and there are no grooves on the yokes. The last seals were a grab bag sent by the company that was considering offering a kit . I think after this experience they are going to skip the JK gear swaps into TJs .

I will make sure Timkens go in this time as I am tired of dealing with the leaks .
Unread 03-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #3000
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This will be the third round of seals , and there are no grooves on the yokes. The last seals were a grab bag sent by the company that was considering offering a kit . I think after this experience they are going to skip the JK gear swaps into TJs .

I will make sure Timkens go in this time as I am tired of dealing with the leaks .
Greg reason I say this is that a lot of the seals that come in install kits are cheap junk. Ihave had problems with those after gear installs I did compared them to 30 dollar timken seals, big difference in the quality of the rubber lip and the strength of the garter spring

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.