Just another LJ build - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #241
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got both of the upper control arm bushings swapped . They would not press out so I drilled the rubber then cut the metal ring . Once it was cut I used a cold chisel to fold the ring in on itself .

Cut out debil bushing !

New bushing in .

Good ol ChiCom ball joint press worked pretty good for the task . You have to take your time on the passenger side UCA as the mount isnt solid . I used a pry bar to keep pushing the halves apart as I pressed in the mount . In the near future I will swap in the Currie UCA mounts , but for now this worked great and no more clunking noise !

Before I left for out west I was worried about the rear tire wobbling on the tailgate . This is what I came up with .

Japanese pull saw eats the rubber !

Nice clean cut just like a Ginsu ...

Double stacked with new hardware . This made a huge improvement on the tire wobbling until I make a tire carrier .

And lastly the Rokmens ... If I had one more day at home I would have them installed ... I wanted to get them on today but the UCA bushings , mowing two acres , and two birthday parties seemed to take up all my time

Unread 07-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #242
dangerz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I love those sliders. Good choice.
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #243
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerz View Post
I love those sliders. Good choice.
Thanks , I saw them for sale in Garzas thread and for the deal they were I said the heck with making my own ! Now to sell some old parts to get the Rokmen Aluminum corner / slider combo from them .
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #244
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a set of UCA bushings sitting in the parts pile. Mine are still good for now, but I don't look forward to replacing them.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #245
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Nice build man! The pictures were awesome! Out of curiosity how much fuel did you go through with all that extra weight?
Unread 07-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #246
bubbajk
2010 JK Wrangler 

Looks great, bet you love going Offroad with that thing huh?!?
bubbajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #247
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyup94 View Post
Nice build man! The pictures were awesome! Out of curiosity how much fuel did you go through with all that extra weight?
I averaged 13.5 mpgs once I sat down and did the math . Not the best , but worth it to me for where we went .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajk View Post
Looks great, bet you love going Offroad with that thing huh?!?
Its a lot of fun , best of all my kids loved it too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
I have a set of UCA bushings sitting in the parts pile. Mine are still good for now, but I don't look forward to replacing them.
I am not going to lie , its a pain in the butt to get them out . Once they are out the drivers side is difficult to press back in , but the passenger side isnt bad . I want to order the Currie setup that replaces the bushings , but its hard to justify now that the new rubber ones are in .
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #248
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post

Rt 66 in New Mexico .

Canyonlands

Recapture Canyon

Comb wash

River House Ruins

Comb wash

Private property invite only super slickrock playground .

On the way to Comb wash .

All of the above are from Hotel Rock .

Walking one of the tougher sections of hotel rock first .

The end of a long day .
Made it to Garden City Kansas tonight , Fayetteville AR tomorrow . The AC pooped out , but a little freon from O'Reillys had us blowing cold again . I think that it has been sub standard for a while but the 106 degrees of Kansas showed its weakness .
Still sorting pics ...
Wow some great photos man, from one photographer to another I need to bring my camera with me more, hate lugging it around sometimes I think I need to let go how much it cost to replace it and enjoy it more hahaha

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #249
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Got both of the upper control arm bushings swapped . They would not press out so I drilled the rubber then cut the metal ring . Once it was cut I used a cold chisel to fold the ring in on itself .

Cut out debil bushing !

New bushing in .

Good ol ChiCom ball joint press worked pretty good for the task . You have to take your time on the passenger side UCA as the mount isnt solid . I used a pry bar to keep pushing the halves apart as I pressed in the mount . In the near future I will swap in the Currie UCA mounts , but for now this worked great and no more clunking noise !

Before I left for out west I was worried about the rear tire wobbling on the tailgate . This is what I came up with .

Japanese pull saw eats the rubber !

Nice clean cut just like a Ginsu ...

Double stacked with new hardware . This made a huge improvement on the tire wobbling until I make a tire carrier .

And lastly the Rokmens ... If I had one more day at home I would have them installed ... I wanted to get them on today but the UCA bushings , mowing two acres , and two birthday parties seemed to take up all my time
Man I am not looking forward to the front bushings, I hope the currie joints aren't harder to install

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #250
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
Wow some great photos man, from one photographer to another I need to bring my camera with me more, hate lugging it around sometimes I think I need to let go how much it cost to replace it and enjoy it more hahaha
Thanks , my wife and I both like to shoot pictures . The southwest is an easy place to take a good picture . The topograhy and skies are begging to be shot . We have two cameras , mine is a cheaper Kodak and hers is an upper end Canon . Its very easy to see the difference between the two , so hers is the first choice . When I bought it from B&M I got the insurance for it , which gurantees we wont need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
Man I am not looking forward to the front bushings, I hope the currie joints aren't harder to install
I think the passenger side will be pretty easy as it looks like it you cut it off below the bushing , then weld the new mount in . The drivers side will need to be pressed out or cut out and the will be the roughest part of the drivers side install . All thats left to replace in the front axle now is the balljoints . I am considering Synergys but a good set of OEMs would probably be ok too.
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #251
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My wife sent me one last batch of pictures from the trip . Not the greatest wheeling pictures , but nice stuff to look at .

Lake Vallecito just east of Durango .

Mancos Colorado fire , which is between Durango , and Mesa Verde .

Old mine , the shaft is inside and open . I would love to explore this more , but its behind a fence .

And the kids on the Los Pinos river in Bayfield Colorado tubing for the first time .

We are going to go over to the West Virginia border when I finish up in NYC , cant wait to get offroad again . Still shopping for air bumps , but so far no good deals.
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #252
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got the first slider installed today . I ended up spending most of the day dis assembling and prepping for the sliders . The pictures will show you why .

This is what was behind the stock slider . No rust , but a lot of dirt .

A little garden hose action and it was all cleaned up .

Once the hammerite was dry and the gaskets were applied it was time for a test fit .

Most of the install was pretty straight forward . Get the center where it needs to be and then work your way out . The part that has me stumped is the blind access for holes 2 and 6 . I cant find where to access them , so I am going to email Rokmen and see if I can get some instructions. Theres also a lot of backers that dont seem to have a home .I am sure they will make more sense when I look at it tommorow morning and the heat stroke has cleared
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #253
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

You have to drill through the inner, add a backer plate and long bolt to the holes tthat you cannot access .

Looks great..
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #254
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
You have to drill through the inner, add a backer plate and long bolt to the holes tthat you cannot access .
Ahh that makes sense as I couldnt find anywhere to access the back . I think I will make a drill guide to keep the bit square as it goes through . Thankfully I have some 12" bits that should be perfect for this .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Looks great..
From you that means a lot ,thanks .
Unread 07-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #255
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had emailed Rokmen Sunday night asking if I could get a copy of the install directions . Jeff from Rokmen emailed me back and said to call him on Monday morning . I called him up explained that I had bought the sliders used and didnt receive any instructions . He treated me like I had just bought them from him , talked me through the install and then emailed me a pdf to check out . All in all I was shocked to receive that type of service considering that I bought them used .

Enough talking heres the last of the install pictures .

Both sliders are on and Hannah Monkey approved . Theres a lot of drilling during the install . All of the attaching points make for a solid connection.
For now I am back in NYC but when I get back I will be outboarding the rear shocks . I am also going to be ordering a set of Rokmen aluminum corners .

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.