Just another LJ build - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #241
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got both of the upper control arm bushings swapped . They would not press out so I drilled the rubber then cut the metal ring . Once it was cut I used a cold chisel to fold the ring in on itself .

Cut out debil bushing !

New bushing in .

Good ol ChiCom ball joint press worked pretty good for the task . You have to take your time on the passenger side UCA as the mount isnt solid . I used a pry bar to keep pushing the halves apart as I pressed in the mount . In the near future I will swap in the Currie UCA mounts , but for now this worked great and no more clunking noise !

Before I left for out west I was worried about the rear tire wobbling on the tailgate . This is what I came up with .

Japanese pull saw eats the rubber !

Nice clean cut just like a Ginsu ...

Double stacked with new hardware . This made a huge improvement on the tire wobbling until I make a tire carrier .

And lastly the Rokmens ... If I had one more day at home I would have them installed ... I wanted to get them on today but the UCA bushings , mowing two acres , and two birthday parties seemed to take up all my time

Unread 07-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #242
dangerz
2014 JK Wrangler 

I love those sliders. Good choice.
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #243
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerz View Post
I love those sliders. Good choice.
Thanks , I saw them for sale in Garzas thread and for the deal they were I said the heck with making my own ! Now to sell some old parts to get the Rokmen Aluminum corner / slider combo from them .
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #244
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a set of UCA bushings sitting in the parts pile. Mine are still good for now, but I don't look forward to replacing them.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #245
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Nice build man! The pictures were awesome! Out of curiosity how much fuel did you go through with all that extra weight?
Unread 07-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #246
bubbajk
2010 JK Wrangler 

Looks great, bet you love going Offroad with that thing huh?!?
bubbajk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #247
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyup94 View Post
Nice build man! The pictures were awesome! Out of curiosity how much fuel did you go through with all that extra weight?
I averaged 13.5 mpgs once I sat down and did the math . Not the best , but worth it to me for where we went .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajk View Post
Looks great, bet you love going Offroad with that thing huh?!?
Its a lot of fun , best of all my kids loved it too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
I have a set of UCA bushings sitting in the parts pile. Mine are still good for now, but I don't look forward to replacing them.
I am not going to lie , its a pain in the butt to get them out . Once they are out the drivers side is difficult to press back in , but the passenger side isnt bad . I want to order the Currie setup that replaces the bushings , but its hard to justify now that the new rubber ones are in .
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #248
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post

Rt 66 in New Mexico .

Canyonlands

Recapture Canyon

Comb wash

River House Ruins

Comb wash

Private property invite only super slickrock playground .

On the way to Comb wash .

All of the above are from Hotel Rock .

Walking one of the tougher sections of hotel rock first .

The end of a long day .
Made it to Garden City Kansas tonight , Fayetteville AR tomorrow . The AC pooped out , but a little freon from O'Reillys had us blowing cold again . I think that it has been sub standard for a while but the 106 degrees of Kansas showed its weakness .
Still sorting pics ...
Wow some great photos man, from one photographer to another I need to bring my camera with me more, hate lugging it around sometimes I think I need to let go how much it cost to replace it and enjoy it more hahaha

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #249
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Got both of the upper control arm bushings swapped . They would not press out so I drilled the rubber then cut the metal ring . Once it was cut I used a cold chisel to fold the ring in on itself .

Cut out debil bushing !

New bushing in .

Good ol ChiCom ball joint press worked pretty good for the task . You have to take your time on the passenger side UCA as the mount isnt solid . I used a pry bar to keep pushing the halves apart as I pressed in the mount . In the near future I will swap in the Currie UCA mounts , but for now this worked great and no more clunking noise !

Before I left for out west I was worried about the rear tire wobbling on the tailgate . This is what I came up with .

Japanese pull saw eats the rubber !

Nice clean cut just like a Ginsu ...

Double stacked with new hardware . This made a huge improvement on the tire wobbling until I make a tire carrier .

And lastly the Rokmens ... If I had one more day at home I would have them installed ... I wanted to get them on today but the UCA bushings , mowing two acres , and two birthday parties seemed to take up all my time
Man I am not looking forward to the front bushings, I hope the currie joints aren't harder to install

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #250
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
Wow some great photos man, from one photographer to another I need to bring my camera with me more, hate lugging it around sometimes I think I need to let go how much it cost to replace it and enjoy it more hahaha
Thanks , my wife and I both like to shoot pictures . The southwest is an easy place to take a good picture . The topograhy and skies are begging to be shot . We have two cameras , mine is a cheaper Kodak and hers is an upper end Canon . Its very easy to see the difference between the two , so hers is the first choice . When I bought it from B&M I got the insurance for it , which gurantees we wont need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
Man I am not looking forward to the front bushings, I hope the currie joints aren't harder to install
I think the passenger side will be pretty easy as it looks like it you cut it off below the bushing , then weld the new mount in . The drivers side will need to be pressed out or cut out and the will be the roughest part of the drivers side install . All thats left to replace in the front axle now is the balljoints . I am considering Synergys but a good set of OEMs would probably be ok too.
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #251
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My wife sent me one last batch of pictures from the trip . Not the greatest wheeling pictures , but nice stuff to look at .

Lake Vallecito just east of Durango .

Mancos Colorado fire , which is between Durango , and Mesa Verde .

Old mine , the shaft is inside and open . I would love to explore this more , but its behind a fence .

And the kids on the Los Pinos river in Bayfield Colorado tubing for the first time .

We are going to go over to the West Virginia border when I finish up in NYC , cant wait to get offroad again . Still shopping for air bumps , but so far no good deals.
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #252
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got the first slider installed today . I ended up spending most of the day dis assembling and prepping for the sliders . The pictures will show you why .

This is what was behind the stock slider . No rust , but a lot of dirt .

A little garden hose action and it was all cleaned up .

Once the hammerite was dry and the gaskets were applied it was time for a test fit .

Most of the install was pretty straight forward . Get the center where it needs to be and then work your way out . The part that has me stumped is the blind access for holes 2 and 6 . I cant find where to access them , so I am going to email Rokmen and see if I can get some instructions. Theres also a lot of backers that dont seem to have a home .I am sure they will make more sense when I look at it tommorow morning and the heat stroke has cleared
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #253
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

You have to drill through the inner, add a backer plate and long bolt to the holes tthat you cannot access .

Looks great..
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #254
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
You have to drill through the inner, add a backer plate and long bolt to the holes tthat you cannot access .
Ahh that makes sense as I couldnt find anywhere to access the back . I think I will make a drill guide to keep the bit square as it goes through . Thankfully I have some 12" bits that should be perfect for this .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Looks great..
From you that means a lot ,thanks .
Unread 07-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #255
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had emailed Rokmen Sunday night asking if I could get a copy of the install directions . Jeff from Rokmen emailed me back and said to call him on Monday morning . I called him up explained that I had bought the sliders used and didnt receive any instructions . He treated me like I had just bought them from him , talked me through the install and then emailed me a pdf to check out . All in all I was shocked to receive that type of service considering that I bought them used .

Enough talking heres the last of the install pictures .

Both sliders are on and Hannah Monkey approved . Theres a lot of drilling during the install . All of the attaching points make for a solid connection.
For now I am back in NYC but when I get back I will be outboarding the rear shocks . I am also going to be ordering a set of Rokmen aluminum corners .

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.