Just another LJ build - Page 165 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Just another LJ build

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #2461
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post

Speaking of turbo, the banks sidewinder kit might be something to look into, no?
It's an expensive kit in proportion to the power increase, in my opinion. Forced induction can only do so much without a worked-over top end; often, the head(s), cam and intake run out of airflow before the blower/turbo does... and if you solve those issues you often have to start addressing the lower end and rotating assembly. Much caps required.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #2462
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
It's an expensive kit in proportion to the power increase, in my opinion. Forced induction can only do so much without a worked-over top end; often, the head(s), cam and intake run out of airflow before the blower/turbo does... and if you solve those issues you often have to start addressing the lower end and rotating assembly. Much caps required.
I haven't looked into engine swaps much, so I don't really know how many caps they would take. I figure a kit like this may negate some of the things needed to perform an engine swap like a hoist, welding mounts, transmission adapters etc. Just thinking out loud really, as I'm nowhere near a swap of any kind
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #2463
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post

I haven't looked into engine swaps much, so I don't really know how many caps they would take. I figure a kit like this may negate some of the things needed to perform an engine swap like a hoist, welding mounts, transmission adapters etc. Just thinking out loud really, as I'm nowhere near a swap of any kind
As with anything else, there are good and bad ways to go about it; likewise, there are cheap ways and expensive ways. The LS option is good because it's inexpensive, powerful and it can be emissions-legal without much work. The Pentastar offers a lot, too... if you can get it wired. Diesels and Hemi swaps... well, you better be on good terms with your Uncle Moneybags. Truth be told, there are countless options...and most of the expense for any of them seems to lie in the ancillary pieces, as you mentioned.

Unread 01-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #2464
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
The big benefit to turbo power is power at elevation. As long as you have enough turbo, you can keep the same power at sea level as at 10,000'. You can't say that about a NA motor. Bigger consideration for people in Colorado or similar. Plus, if you haven't driven a turbo rig, the turbo whine and blow off valve sound is addictive.

The 4.0 only has a 8.8 to 1 compression ratio, so it makes a good candidate for boost.

I agree it's a spendy kit, but I've been eyeing it because even if I do all the work myself and find deals, an LS swap isn't exactly cheap either. Plus I have A/C and cruise control to deal with this time. Completely doable with an LS, but more stuff to deal with.

Realistically, if I did another LS swap it will be for the same primary reason I did it before. To get an automatic transmission.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #2465
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
The 4.0 only has a 8.8 to 1 compression ratio, so it makes a good candidate for boost.
That's a really good point. I wonder if some head/cam work would make that turbo setup a little more peppy...

Unread 01-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #2466
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think a turbo or supercharger would really wake up the old 4.0 , but the cost would put you at least half way to an engine swap .

On a different note if anyone happens to have a 2012 or newer manual JK harness laying around I know a guy interested in one
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #2467
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't really been following the whole motor talk but my vote is for a jet engine
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #2468
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I think a turbo or supercharger would really wake up the old 4.0 , but the cost would put you at least half way to an engine swap .

On a different note if anyone happens to have a 2012 or newer manual JK harness laying around I know a guy interested in one
What about the stupid curly-Q exhaust?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #2469
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Halfway to some engine swaps maybe. The average cost of just the pentastar engine is the cost of the turbo kit. The turbo kit makes a tiny bit less HP but more torque and with 1/4 of the labor if that.

Have you measured the engine yet? It's pretty wide since it's DOHC.

What have you figured out about the PCM? I don't think a different standalone PCM will work too well with the VVT without a lot of headache.

I'm pretty sure the gauges won't work the the pentastar PCM since they have a different bus so you will have to run both PCM's or go aftermarket on that.

Unless you have some sweet hookups with the engine, you can get a very nice AL 5.3 LS with goodies and get similar fuel economy, more horsepower, and much more torque at lower RPM. Pentastar is a great engine, but not one I would think of first for a manual transmission application and it's complexity doesn't seem fitting for an off road vehicle - especially off camber. My brother in law's JK had the oil light come on in Mickey's hot tub. Had to shut it off and winch out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #2470
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ
I haven't really been following the whole motor talk but my vote is for a jet engine
Totes.
Unread 01-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #2471
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Totes.
My goats ?

Tomorrows Jeeping

Differentials are broken in and ready for new fluid .Need to finish up a few other details so that its ready for the trip to Nashville ...
Unread 01-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #2472
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Differentials are broken in and ready for new fluid .Need to finish up a few other details so that its ready for the trip to Nashville ...
What break in procedure did you follow?
Unread 01-31-2014, 06:57 PM   #2473
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaTJ View Post
What break in procedure did you follow?
Drove it home stopping along the way , and Kimbo took the kids to school in it . Nothing too fancy , but it got them warmed up and then they had plenty of time to cool off .
Unread 02-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #2474
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Changing the differential fluid tomorrow . Being as its synthetic I am very happy to have found a 40% off coupon for Advance at Retail me not . Also took the Jeep and trailer out for some county wide exploring ... and now its washed and put away until I head out on Monday .

This was the first time towing with the 5.13s and it was night and day from before . I can accelerate uphill with the trailer in 5th and 6th gear which will come in handy this summer when we head West .
Unread 02-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #2475
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Changing the differential fluid tomorrow . Being as its synthetic I am very happy to have found a 40% off coupon for Advance at Retail me not . Also took the Jeep and trailer out for some county wide exploring ... and now its washed and put away until I head out on Monday .

This was the first time towing with the 5.13s and it was night and day from before . I can accelerate uphill with the trailer in 5th and 6th gear which will come in handy this summer when we head West .
Damn that looks nice.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
crappy paint , jana k4 , lj , needs to go wheeling , old man emu , rubicon unlimited , savvy offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.